Introduction to StP

Itvo

Reaction score
Greetings and well met users of StP. I have been studying this site and many others for information of long term wilderness lifestyles. Currently, I stay in the Southeast section of United States. After spending years of life dissatisfied and wanting more variation I am seeking to expand myself in a completely new way. While I have yet to build any solidified plan; I know this will be my next major journey. I believe spending perhaps a few years learning, studying and living on the edge of survival, I may then find a vast more level of clarity if this makes sense. I've always had a deep desire to live as simplistic and uncut as reasonable.

My overall goal currently is fitness and learning knowledge of all that is necessary to this new lifestyle. The broader picture is to find a location capable of being isolated enough while being within reasonable distance to a learning facility, directly; a library. I plan to utilize a bicycle as the most important mode of movement for the longer distances, potentially sheltering within 2 mean days of bicycle tripping away from a library. If a location is possible with this standards. I look to spend the next quarter building cardio and strength as this will likely summon large gears quantities for such a quest. While I commit to this, I also commit myself to many hours of labor building capital for necessary equipments called for and also for layaway should I find this to be not necessary. Many, many weeks are being set aside of planning. (being likely most rank, yes?) I wouldn't necessarily believe to need such money that is accrued during this time but I want to be planned in event that a few years as the longest prospect ends in being a few decades.

I will likely not post often until date nears of departure. Most aspects are unplanned but the commitment is made so that is first hurdle, yes? Most information I will find independently however I will likely ask upon the issue of bicycles, locations and pose threads directly related to individuals who've retained existence in solitude. Assuming they are not living away from internet :).

~Izaak

Reactions: Odin

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Nice intro and welcome to STP! We do have a bike touring subforum here. Plus check this guy out - sage advice - even though he died a few years ago, his info is still awesome. There are several bicycle/cycling sites too that contain subforums about bike touring and repairs (bikeforums.net), cyclingforums.com look interesting as well. Have fun! I rather enjoy the planning and prep.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Welcome to S.T.P have fun and be safe. I am also interested in survival been known to read, watch videos about survival and then go out in the woods and try what I have read or seen. I do a lot of hitchhiking and sometimes in up out in the middle of nowhere. When I am through traveling I will go live in the woods but for now I live on the edge of society.

Reactions: Odin

Itvo

Reaction score
Good news! I depart some time next week. I have everything but camera, map and some other medical supplies. (Where is one to buy Quicklot "Kaolin" over counters?) I am not using bike and will hitch, walk or ride train. I did not wish for the weight or hassle of bikes nor cost. I have a year plan of working counter-clockwise around USA ending up in GA around March next year to see people I know. I spend a couple years migratory then maybe settle in wild if I so wish.

My gear is:

Clothes.
Good shoes.
Northface Stormbreaker 35 pack.
This nice metal cooking pan that is folding and really small plus a cup that has this removal insert. I got from Goodwill at 3 dollars for both! Is made of titanium as well.
A 12x16 tarp that Ollies had for 7.99.
100ft rope. 3/8?
Duct tape
Fire tools
Fishing hooks
About 1000k yard of Fish chord. 50 and 30lb.
Some other items like MP3, compass, multitool, markers...

My medical is as shown:
Gauss
3 times antibiotic cream
Benzocaine
Water tablets (Iodine?)
Butterfly stitches
Needle and some floss
Superglue
Tourniquet
Quickclot
Compression wrap
Toothbrush/paste

A few questions?
Are gromet kits worth having? The tarp has gromets every half foot.
How effective and practical is it carrying an edible plant/animal guide? Is food more difficult to come by even diving/looting? I have green thumb but will be migratory so planting wouldn't be effective anyways. Do these books show how the food is cooked?

Sleeping bag:
I bought a Coleman Flannel 20f bag and it is 7lbs (Wasn't marked when I bought it) and it is huge. I thought I could compress it. What size should I expect on sleeping bags? Are the cheap walmart brand bags more compressible? I see they 4lbs as listed weight. My bag without water of food is 21.5 lbs right now without a bag. It feels rather stumpy. Is 25lb too heavy?

My weight is 150lb to 165lb. Is a 30lb pack too much? Does I need more gear/stuff I missed? I think I have everything I want. Thank you in advanced.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads