Intro + Poetry Video of Train Trip from OAK to PDX

wheelingsteel

Pilgrim
Current Location
San Francisco
Hey folks,

My name's Kai Carlson-Wee and I write poetry about traveling in the midwest/pacific northwest. Here's a video I shot with my brother on a freight trip earlier this summer. We took the Sunday Night Special from Oakland to Portland and took some photos along the way. The video just got 'released' last week. If you've done this route you'll recognize Mt. Shasta.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Very cool vid and poem! Welcome aboard - look forward to more!

OP
wheelingsteel

wheelingsteel

Pilgrim
Current Location
San Francisco
Thanks, guys! We had a good time making it. Nearly died of heatstroke in Redding but that didn't make it into the video.

Current Location
San Diego, CA
Hey folks,

My name's Kai Carlson-Wee and I write poetry about traveling in the midwest/pacific northwest. Here's a video I shot with my brother on a freight trip earlier this summer. We took the Sunday Night Special from Oakland to Portland and took some photos along the way. The video just got 'released' last week. If you've done this route you'll recognize Mt. Shasta.
so where you guys hail from?

OP
wheelingsteel

wheelingsteel

Pilgrim
Current Location
San Francisco
We're from the Fargo, ND area originally. Lots of beet fields and not much to do but drive around and skate. We've both done a lot of traveling on the highline route (CHI to Seattle) and the Northern Cascades in general. Now my brother lives in Nashville and I live in San Francisco. Never been to New Mexico, but really want to see that landscape.

S

spectacular

I deleted myself
which tracks head to roseville? (1st being closest to street)

OP
wheelingsteel

wheelingsteel

Pilgrim
Current Location
San Francisco
Don't know for sure but it was either the 4th, 5th, or 6th (not the last line). Closer to the factory stacks. Seems to leave on Sunday night or Monday morning. Not much on it. Mostly empties.

Reactions: Somebody
S

spectacular

I deleted myself
caught it last night and arrived this morning in roseville, operator said it was going to sparks NV eventually

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wheelingsteel
S

spectacular

I deleted myself
it was 3rd or 4th... can't remember exactly but it came into the yard and was the only train with a union pacific cab at the front

Somebody

Lurker
Current Location
Charleston
well i hopped out this morning...
freight carrying a bunch of cans headed north, so i jumped on.
2 hours later and it stops on a country road...
...in Stockton!?!

hitching north presently

Reactions: spectacular
S

spectacular

I deleted myself
nice! better than nowhere I guess. there are trains going north to Roseville... made a mistake and ended up in stockon and caught on the leftmost line going north on a grainer