Intro, planning a trip

MEOW

Reaction score
Hello all,
excited to join the community!
I'm 21 years old and love trains, graffiti, cats and pizza.
I'm currently residing in St.Louis, MO.
I plan on leaving this place around may this year and I hope to head west! California area.
My hopes are to primarily ride the rails to get there but will most likely be hitching as well.

I joined this site in hopes of learning all that i haven't already and hopefully finding someone who'd like to travel with me.

Any st. louis people out there?
This would be my first time catching out, and if i don't find anyone by may, i will leave on my own.

domo

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hello my personal opinion is to take it slow.
California isn't going anywhere and you can definitely hitching and enjoy life for what it's worth.
You gotta walk before you can run.
Alas i can't tell you what to do, or even make you decision. I still haven't hopped my first train. I would like to.
But i also like to take things slow.
Meet cool people.
Do crazy stuff.
See unique shit. There so much you can do.
Like example i do festys and gatherings half the time.
Busking and chilling by a camp fire or ocean.
Just have fun and be safe. Brother

Reactions: MEOW

MEOW

Reaction score
California isn't going anywhere and you can definitely hitching and enjoy life for what it's worth.
Alas i can't tell you what to do, or even make you decision. I still haven't hopped my first train. I would like to.
Meet cool people.
Do crazy stuff.
Meet cool people.
Do crazy stuff.
Thanks for the welcome,
And I thought me waiting 5 months till may to prepare was taking it slow lol.

Trains have been a big interest in my life for a while, and I don't have many options besides traveling around May anyways.

I get the walk before you run tip, but i think I'd rather get a running start.

Already learning plenty of extra info from stp and glad I found this site

D

Deleted member 20

Reading posts, packing gear & dreaming about trains all winter isnt exactly preparing 100%. I would spend some days/nights watching/logging times when trains get built & depart. The schedule of the bulls, if workers are approachable. Start tracing cars & figuring out the types of rideable & nonrideable cars. There are many kids whos"running start" gets em hurt/killed. If you havent hitched before it doesnt hurt to get some exposure to hitching. There are gonna be times where you get run off out of yards with bulls/city cops chasing you. You may get caught & given a warning, its usually easier to move on to anothers jurisdiction & hop out of another yard. I would learn how to trace cars, then take a few local joy rides knowing your destination. Maybe like an hour or less down the line & hitching back. Tagging stationary trains in your home town isnt the same as riding. Leave your spray paint at home & focus on figuring out the details of hopping freight safely.

Last edited:

MEOW

Reaction score
Reading posts, packing gear & dreaming about trains all winter isnt exactly preparing 100%. I would spend some days/nights watching/logging times when trains get built & depart. The schedule of the bulls, if workers are approachable. Start tracing cars & figuring out the types of rideable & nonrideable cars. There are many kids whos"running start" gets em hurt/killed. If you havent hitched before it doesnt hurt to get some exposure to hitching. There are gonna be times where you get run off out of yards with bulls/city cops chasing you. You may get caught & given a warning, its usually easier to move on to anothers jurisdiction & hop out of another yard. Tagging stationary trains in your home town isnt the same as riding. Leave your spray paint at home & focus on figuring out the details of hopping freight safely.
All good advice, thanks dude

domo

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the welcome,
And I thought me waiting 5 months till may to prepare was taking it slow lol.

Trains have been a big interest in my life for a while, and I don't have many options besides traveling around May anyways.

I get the walk before you run tip, but i think I'd rather get a running start.

Already learning plenty of extra info from stp and glad I found this site

I can see you anticipated for this quite awhile now.
You can only talk and read literature so much Mann.

But the honest to god truth is.
Just get off the phone/computer and just do it.
Experiment/experience it for yourself.

A butterfly cannot fly by just gazing at the sky.
A fish can't swim by wading in the pool.
A baby can't walk with out first trying to move.

You sound alto like me when i first wanted to travel.
I was scared.
Wanting to get all my essentials.
Camp gear, yada yada yada.
But i needed the extra push forward.

Now im sharing my statement with you.
Stfu and nut up and hit the road.
Lifes waiting.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads