Featured

In time of plague; riding freight and roaming

I'd like to share some photos of my travels this spring. I'm not usually one to post stories of what I'm up to but feel this can be some contribution considering the forums here have aided me in my travels. After spending a week in Salt Lake city Utah going to strange dystopic hotsprings, a beautiful shadowy show and getting stoned before seeing space jesus at the Mormon temple, I continued East, away from the familiar cascade mountains and into the sprawl, as the manufactured crisis spread. I trekked to Provo wading thru fields of dry rattling thistle stalks to the hopout (where I spotted @Coywolf's tag)

20200309_144346-jpg.54825

I caught a grainer with a modest porch and very little as far as a hidey hole and took off into the night. The full moon illuminated the beautiful desert canyon and I gazed at her thru the brisk wind before settling into my bed as we grew closer to colorado. Dawn broke as we sided out in glenwood springs and as that liminal night faded we continued into the heart of the rockies.

20200310_121656_013-jpg.54826

It took about 15min to burrow through the heart of the continental divide, to pierce the void via the moffet tunnel. I breathed through my shirt and thought about the air pollution and clouds of smog the future generations will inherit. I thought about climate chaos and how we stand In the middle of those who came before and those who will come after.

The descent through the flat irons and into the front range was swift and gorgeous.

I rolled into denver just as d the sun was slipping behind the mountains. I slept by the river and found the bridge I would wait for my southbound coal at.

20200311_090820-jpg.54831

Everybody in denver was buzzing about the pandemic and the little store by the hopout was cleared out of many things (I was forced to get a pop top gallon of water, oh no!).

My southbound coal pulled up quickly and I threw myself in, in plain view of the McDonald's drivethru line.

A gorgeous warm day riding loaded coal for the first time.

20200311_154623-jpg.54832

Thru strange industrial fringes parallel to the snaking spine of mountains.

The ride to Amarillo took much longer than I thought, I slept a rough grimy night in the coal, as it ground into my clothes hair, grooves in my fingers and palms. The raw guts ripped from the earth to be devoured by the leviathan. I woke feeling aged older as the sun rose over the texas desert lands.

20200312_080359-jpg.54834

I looked haggard as fuck walking Into an amarillo coffeeshop to take a sink shower, but the barista was very kind. I sat around the very busy yard trying to use the cc's outdated ID siggestion to decipher which IM was headed to Memphis rather than KCMO. After a day by the tracks I got a hot tip from a very kind member of stp and caught my Mem/Atl bound hotshot the following morning.

I though I was going to outrun the storm rolling in from the west but it caught us in Oklahoma and thrashed me in my mini well. I got completely soaked overnight thru my bivy sack (the seems are as all worn out). Lightning flashed all night and I made nocturnal pacts with the train gods in order to ensure my survival. All the next day I cowered in my wet sleeping bag thru more rain and whimpered and ate sauerkraut (the only food I had left)

It stopped raining just outside memphis, I got to see the Mississippi in its grand entirety and hopped off on the fly as my train slowed, cause I was too damn wet and hungry to make it all the way to Atl.

All the stores were empty shelves and everyone was talking about the latest federal response to the virus. The talking heads leered at me as I ate at mcfucks, and I dried off at probably the coolest laundromat I've ever been to. It had soul.

I squatted an old industrial building as another storm rolled in, and got to explore it a bit more in the morning before feral dogs chased me out

20200315_092532-jpg.54836

20200315_092708-jpg.54837

20200315_092717-jpg.54838

20200315_092727-jpg.54839

20200315_092758-jpg.54840

I've been hitching thru Tennessee the past few days and it has been really slow. Fear and paranoia are in the air and public discourse is centered around the virus, potential lockdowns, lack of supplies. It's hard to convey how it feels to be travelling while the dominant culture realizes how fragile and vulnerable it is. Excited to get into the mountains and off the highways. I hope those on the road and rails stay safe in these coming days. The real sickness is the state. The real crisis is this capitalist system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squatter, wanderer, nest crafting witch
View all 1 featured items
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Nice thread! I've added it to our featured threads section! Love the video clips, I'd like to see more of them in any future trips you post!

wizardclare05

Lurker
beautiful words and pictures. I hope you find hospitality as you travel forward even though majority of people are living in s strong sense of fear right now.

WanderLost

Wanderer
Nice post! Im jealous of your travels right now. Im kinda tempted to hop a train right now cuz of it!

r3yn

Rambler
Fuckin eh, nice writing style, man. You're a great wordsmith.

Wasn't it fucking COLD on that train going into Denver? And in the rain, weren't you shaking uncontrollably? Just imagining your struggle through that gives me the chills.

Hope the hitching goes well and you make friends with the future packs of wild family dogs.

This is really awesome. I've wondered how many people were out and traveling the rails instead of hitching. Its still cold to be riding but I'm glad to see somebody is enjoying the springtime views in the mountains. Be safe out there.

OP
ScatteredCrowBones
Fuckin eh, nice writing style, man. You're a great wordsmith.

Wasn't it fucking COLD on that train going into Denver? And in the rain, weren't you shaking uncontrollably? Just imagining your struggle through that gives me the chills.

Hope the hitching goes well and you make friends with the future packs of wild family dogs.
Hey thanks, not a man btw tho. The ride through colorado was definitely the coldest part but I packed for winter riding. Several layers of wool, jacket, winter gloves, 3 pairs of socks etc, hot hands and a propane stove for tea. I was comfortable the whole time even when getting snowed on.

I was much more prepared for dry cold, the rain was pretty miserable but not in immediate danger of hypothermia because of the wool and sleeping bag liner. Know where you're riding!
Done hitching for now, might ride some freight later this month

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Yooooo gorgeous photos! And awesome story. Hope you're staying safe n healthy wherever you decide to hunker down for a bit

And i feel ya 100%, wet snow and/or rain are much more difficult to deal with than just cold temps and already-fallen snow! I love riding in cold weather, it's emo & pretty & keeps away the mosquitoes!!

Website
m.soundcloud.com
You are a great writer! Thank you for sharing, and taking the time to upload some much needed, wholesome content these days. I'm feeling rather lucky that I have a friend to stay with through most of this frantic climate that society is going through at the moment.. I'm glad you are doing will, and having a hell of a successful trip. Praise sauerkraut.

StarMage

Rambler
Stunning pictures, what device did you use to take them with?

The framing is superb, makes me want to dig out my camera and do some UrbEx in these biblical times

OP
ScatteredCrowBones
Thanks, i took them with a galaxy S9. Just explored an abandoned subway system yesterday, feels great to be getting out and around right now. Gonna post some pics and a part two of riding freight soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.
Always sucks to see good ppl/new friends get back on that ironhorse after getting to hangout/know, be safe friends an stay in touch! @Koala @scutellaria, maxy, Henry an well. Wish I was enroute South with y'all!
I hate my fucking back. A combination of bank bullshit and now a strained or sprained back had kept me held up in Pennsylvania. Have a place to stay, but I'm pissed at life trying to keep me off the road!
Fuck it, I'm getting a bottle
Wheat2020 wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
I'mma cut to the chase: You don't call me what I consider to be a slur or insult, and I won't call you names.
You say I should love myself and have more self-confidence. You've got it all wrong. I love myself plenty, and I know for a fact that I am capable of doing incredible things, both good and evil.
You say fake it till you make it. I'm too honest for that. Instead I will have faith in myself, and act accordingly.
These new rules for the train riding forum are ridiculous. I've been on here for 5 ish years.
MFB wrote on Older Than Dirt's profile.
Just wanted to say you look waaay better in your new avatar pic. ;) You clean up nice!
Bent123 wrote on iamwhatiam's profile.
I read your story last month about working in Alaska. I got a job in Naknek this summer. Definitely can get how it felt like jail. I fear it's really going to feel that way with this virus. We can't go into town. I'm not very happy about that since it will limit my exploring. Yet I really need the opportunity right now. Anymore advice is much appreciated.

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Nezidig