News & Blogs In 33 cities it is now illegal to feed the homeless (w/petition)

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
(I'm not big on petitions myself, but thought some of you might find interest. Note to admins, I'm posting from my phone on the Tapatalk app, if my formatting out anything else comes out weird, please let me know and/or feel free to fix it if you can. Thanks! )

http://act.watchdog.net/petitions/4753?share_ref=BffmG5joYQ8

Thirty-three cities already ban or are considering banning giving food to homeless people — and some are threatening to throw people in jail if they're caught feeding the hungry.

These laws claim they're about preventing government-run anti-homelessness programs from being diluted. They're really about keeping non-profits and individuals from shining a light on just how bad things have gotten for our country's poor, even as the homeless are treated like criminals for being without food and shelter.

Charity work like sharing food with the homeless is essential in a country where protecting the poor and needy is never at the top of the list, and is found to help those without shelter get back on their feet.

"Cities think by cutting off the food source, it will make the homeless go away," NCH community organizing director Michael Stoops said. "It doesn't."

Help stop this pointless, baseless cruelty. Call on these 33 cities to ditch plans to ban giving food to the homeless now!

PETITION TO 33 CITY MAYORS: Homelessness is not a crime — and neither is feeding the hungry. We call on you to lift current and proposed bans on sharing food with the hungry and homeless now.

dyingslowlyeveryday

Reaction score
Meh. This is a non-issue. Just cities protecting themselves from liability over usage of public parks. Every city I've been to with such an ordinance already went through their bad publicity and provided better alternatives. (myrtle beach, raleigh, chattanooga)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Don't get me wrong ... I'm not anti-american ... on the contrary.

In the past I always wanted to live in the US sometimes. Because in the past it was the land of the free. I guessed so anyway.

But today it seems to get more and more paranoid.

I mean, if I want to travel and live an alternative lifestyle houseless I should have the right to do so.

And if I want to help people who are homeless (deliberately or not) with food or money, than I should have the right to do so.

You see, I'm not religious. But I think many people are in US, more than here. So I would ask them: what would Jesus think about threatening to throw people in jail if they're caught feeding the hungry?

It's ridiculous.

djskum

Reaction score
Nothing in america is free! Two elements that you would think are ( air and water) are not. Water is found in the ground and in streams and rivers but have to be brought to you by pipes that people set up to supply it and make it drinkable, they need to get paid!! Take a deep breath, air is free but clean air is hard to find. In most big cities where there are health nut people, they go to health bars and breath pure oxygen( air). And that costs money!! I say if people want to kick down food to others then they have that right. Besides it would be more cost affective if custies from my restaurant took all there unwanted food and gave it to the homeless out side instead of throwing it in the garbage were I would have to pay a company to remove it and also that persons that had the food kicked to them might recommend my restaurant to future custies.

Reactions: Jaguwar

Jaguwar

Rebirthing phoenix
Reaction score
TANSTAAFL
There Ain't No Such Thing As a Free Lunch.
I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe eventually society at large week recognize the foolishness of it current path. I'm my holding my breath!
For the record, air is a lot more than oxygen.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads