Important Water Storage Information | Squat the Planet

Important Water Storage Information

roguetrader

Reaction score
the subject of water storage containers was mentioned in another thread I read earlier, but I thought it best to post this tip in the gear section...

basically I want to strongly advise anyone travelling in a vehicle that you store your water in proper water butt's that are solid black in colour OR alternatively if you use white opaque water butt's (common in Europe) make sure you clean and sterilise them regularly and very importantly - do not allow green algae to build up inside...

a few years ago someone I lived with on a traveller site / park up in England almost died from consuming water from a butt that was heavily contaminated with algae - I can't remember the science behind it all but the guy was found delirious and covered in his own shit, and after undergoing tests in hospital the cause was found to be the heavy algae contamination in his water supply.... it was pretty scary coz many people on out scene are slack about cleaning things like water containers - fortunately I've had black military butts for years so not had any issues like this myself...

Edit - after a little browse online it sounds like it's the build up of blue green algae and resulting cyanobacteria that is harmful to humans, rather than the more common green algae I mention above.... either way keep your butt sterilised !

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i'm assuming butt is a UK slang for water tank?

serious question though, what's the best way to sterilize a water tank? I have a 10 gal that I'm finally getting hooked up to a sink this week and it's been sitting empty in my van for about 10 months now. I'm gonna run a bunch of water through it before filling it with drinking water but I'm curious how to clean it afterwards?

roguetrader

Reaction score
yes @Matt Derrick 'butt' is a term applied to 20 - 30 litre water or fuel containers - it's widely used rather than being traveller slang, perhaps originally a military term (?)

as far as cleaning water storage containers is concerned you can buy sterilising tablets from places like motor home supply outlets - or alternatively I had some leftover from when I was brewing beer... you just fill the tank and add the tablets and leave the mix in there for a few hours, then drain it out... as well as killing bacteria etc the sterilising solution helps keep the waters neutral flavour- old uncleaned tanks can impart an unpleasant taste for various reasons...

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Gin

Reaction score
i'm assuming butt is a UK slang for water tank?

serious question though, what's the best way to sterilize a water tank? I have a 10 gal that I'm finally getting hooked up to a sink this week and it's been sitting empty in my van for about 10 months now. I'm gonna run a bunch of water through it before filling it with drinking water but I'm curious how to clean it afterwar

Gin

Reaction score
I clean w/vinegar or bleach. Just cleaning I use vinegar, but for heavy duty cleaning I use bleach & for storing I'll drop a capful if bleach in the tank. And I filter all my water

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads