1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Important question regarding this hobby:

Discussion in 'Urban Exploration' started by Syckological, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Syckological

Syckological is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Woodland Hills, California, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    When you take photos, should you or should you NOT include photos clearly showing your face on ANY social media platform. Why or why not.

Me? I think it's 250% wrong that any sane person would show their face for any reason in places you're not supposed to go. Take only photos. If you're that desperate enough to show your body, block out your face and never post on personal social media. That's what has been contributing to multiple spots being demolished and patrolled lately. Between that and not wearing a mask in places that clearly would cause lung complications down the road, I think it's pitiful to see how many young kids are hopping on the "urbex" bandwagon for the sake of likes and not for the history that they hold.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Hillbilly Castro

Hillbilly Castro Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Tramp
    Address:
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,013 / -9
    This is true of really anything. Photos strip away context in a way that plays directly into a culture of spectacle. Nikon Kid for example romaticized the hobo life in an irresponsible way that attracted a large contingent of upper-middle-class tourists in the travel scene, because the rest of the story in each photo was not told. I would think urbex would be similar.
    I think social media is best avoided, in general, unless it directly correlates to a community in real life. That's why STP is cool.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Not everything abandoned is illegal to visit, but yea when on pvt land you probs shouldnt put evidence on the web. Personally while i love bandanas i wear something more robust when exploring, mainly due to potential asbestos and animal feces etc. Proper safety gear isnt all that expensive, something from harborfreight is better than nothing at all.

4. Satanic Botanic

Satanic Botanic is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Chiang Mai, จ.เชียงใหม่, Thailand
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +34 / -0
    I doubt any legal repercussions will come from showing your face, and I don't think faces are the reason demolition/patrolling occurs.

Personally, I don't care too much for urbex photos with me in them, but who cares if someone wants to be a little vain. Some people do go just for that photo op and abandoned backdrop, but does it really matter much? I imagine a social media post with the location disclosed that gains popularity could lead to problems, but just casual social media posting? I doubt it.

What really leads to demolition/patrolling is dumbasses doing dumb shit and getting hurt or killed.

5. Haxsys

Haxsys is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Infiltrator.
    Address:
    Los Angeles, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    Depends on whether or not you have geotags / other identifying information regarding what you are in.

If it's vague and the location isn't obvious(signs, particularly well known landmarks, shit that law enforcement / PI's / Concerned snitches would be able to easily identify) and you dont out right admit where it was you snuck into, it's kind of hard to get charged with a crime.

If your breaking into active military shit or cruising around in unauthorized areas of airports / research labs, active city infrastructure that has power or telecom shit in it, that's something else, And I know of multiple people in the UE community who have landed prison time / been brought to private court for damages over photography that was placed in non private locations of the internet.

• Useful Useful x 1