I'm Officially Canoeing to Mexico from NYC (1 Viewer)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!
D

Deleted member 20

I deleted myself
@trickdaley
Perhaps I can help out your trip?

I do like your videos or better yet the inner & unseen drive to constantly keep exploring outside of your comfort zone. They seem to be catered to a certain demographic of young cubicle dwellers (versus us fellow hardcore budget Travellers) but instead of me tearing apart all of what I dont like about the flavor of your videos. Read on.

I may be fundamentally opposed to capitalism & the idea of creating videos with the sole intention of increasing your subscriber counts/views/likes on youtube, encouraging funders to donate via a crowdsourcing page & driving funders to buy merch. I am also poor, broke & unemployed but I really am against all that other shit too, lol.

I have spent decades in the Atlantic Ocean & Gulf of Mexico working as a commercial fisherman & formerly USMC, special forces capable MEU that conducted amphibious assaults via small boat teams. I did offer my lifelong experience as someone who has spent most of their life on the Ocean about your choice of craft (canoe versus kayak). I respect your choice of vessel even though I think it is insane, impractical & extremely dangerous.

I would however like to donate to your trip. Perhaps I can somehow help out with harm reduction & waterproofing. Boy this sounds like an intervention, lol.

These are the 3 items that I think could make your trip better & safer:

(1)I have a size Large Mens Mustang "Gumby" Survival Suit. Mine is not brand new & since Commercial Fishing boats are required to have them inspected every few years & replace them every decade or so (from manufacture date). It has my boats name in Sharpie but you can just write your name & emergency info on it the same way. You can even put your website on it or have others you meet sign your suit. That being said this heavy duty neopreme suit will keep you from hypothermia, afloat & visible to rescue boats/aircraft. (Note link is to a brand new one, this suit is fully functioning & I used it at home to practice for the annual survival suit races). I would take some candle wax to the zipper & replace the batteries in the strobe & you are good to go. They are pretty warm & in your case will only work if you are wearing while paddling. I would suggest keeping the chest unzipped a bit with he hood off to prevent heat exhaustion. You can ditch it when you get further south if you want. You wont be able to get the suit on in the water!

https://www.zoro.com/mustang-surviv...yeKP8-AiLEgSpjpDeLqpwaAvPq8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hopefully you will also acquire & register a personal EPIRB.

(2) I also have a brand new West Marine Offshore Sail Type V PFD. This thing is heavy duty with d rings & lifting harness for rescue. This thing is brand new with tags & costs $220+ tax I could easily exchange this for some cool sperry topsiders or other gear at West Marine but I will offer it to you in the name of Safety & furthering your expeditions..
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...XsBF7O5f8092fButfJTGkHdtJ1b3Nhip4AaAidD8P8HAQ

(3) I will also throw in a 55 liter waterproof Ronstan dry sailing bag with backpack straps. It has always smelled like cat pee (but I dont have a Cat). I think it has something to do with the PVC material or something. It needs the little mesh water bottle holder to be repaired with sewing on more mesh & the front pocket zipper pull is broke but I have a toggle there that works fine.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronst...5ZQLYeGGfORVZtQ1YIGSZFKN_VJmIY0psQaAmxt8P8HAQ

All of these items are free for you at my home in New Bedford, Mass. Obviously you know how to travel for free/cheap so Come visit & pick them up. I wont ship them (too impersonal). These items retail for well over $750 but are probably only worth half of that in exchange & or resale value. If you arent gonna use them, please dont take them to sell. I no longer work on the ocean so they are yours.

There is a catch though: you will give me some True Transient Merch and a shoutout to me (highwayman) & others here at www.squattheplanet.com in your opening youtube video. I feel its only fair to cross promote about our awesome nonprofit forum & community here. Who knows maybe some viewers will be inspired & want to learn how to go about starting their own adventures?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
trickdaley

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
@trickdaley
Perhaps I can help out your trip?

I do like your videos or better yet the inner & unseen drive to constantly keep exploring outside of your comfort zone. They seem to be catered to a certain demographic of young cubicle dwellers (versus us fellow hardcore budget Travellers) but instead of me tearing apart all of what I dont like about the flavor of your videos. Read on.

I may be fundamentally opposed to capitalism & the idea of creating videos with the sole intention of increasing your subscriber counts/views/likes on youtube, encouraging funders to donate via a crowdsourcing page & driving funders to buy merch. I am also poor, broke & unemployed but I really am against all that other shit too, lol.

I have spent decades in the Atlantic Ocean & Gulf of Mexico working as a commercial fisherman & formerly USMC, special forces capable MEU that conducted amphibious assaults via small boat teams. I did offer my lifelong experience as someone who has spent most of their life on the Ocean about your choice of craft (canoe versus kayak). I respect your choice of vessel even though I think it is insane, impractical & extremely dangerous.

I would however like to donate to your trip. Perhaps I can somehow help out with harm reduction & waterproofing. Boy this sounds like an intervention, lol.

These are the 3 items that I think could make your trip better & safer:

(1)I have a size Large Mens Mustang "Gumby" Survival Suit. Mine is not brand new & since Commercial Fishing boats are required to replace them every decade or so (from manufacture date). It has my boats name in Sharpie but you can just write your name & emergency info on it the same way. You can even put your website on it or have others you meet sign your suit. That being said this heavy duty neopreme suit will keep you from hypothermia, afloat & visible to rescue boats/aircraft. (Note link is to a brand new one, this suit is fully functioning & I used it at home to practice for the annual survival suit races). I would take some candle wax to the zipper & replace the batteries in the strobe & you are good to go. They are pretty warm & in your case will only work if you are wearing while paddling. I would suggest keeping the chest unzipped a bit with he hood off to prevent heat exhaustion. You can ditch it when you get further south if you want. You wont be able to get the suit on in the water!

https://www.zoro.com/mustang-surviv...yeKP8-AiLEgSpjpDeLqpwaAvPq8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hopefully you will also acquire & register a personal EPIRB.

(2) I also have a brand new West Marine Offshore Sail Type V PFD. This thing is heavy duty with d rings & lifting harness for rescue. This thing is brand new with tags & costs $220+ tax I could easily exchange this for some cool sperry topsiders or other gear at West Marine but I will offer it to you in the name of Safety & furthering your expeditions..
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...XsBF7O5f8092fButfJTGkHdtJ1b3Nhip4AaAidD8P8HAQ

(3) I will also throw in a 55 liter waterproof Ronstan dry sailing bag with backpack straps. It has always smelled like cat pee (but I dont have a Cat). I think it has something to do with the PVC material or something. It needs the little mesh water bottle holder to be repaired with sewing on more mesh & the front pocket zipper pull is broke but I have a toggle there that works fine.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ronst...5ZQLYeGGfORVZtQ1YIGSZFKN_VJmIY0psQaAmxt8P8HAQ

All of these items are free for you at my home in New Bedford, Mass. Obviously you know how to travel for free/cheap so Come visit & pick them up. I wont ship them (too impersonal). These items retail for well over $750 but are probably only worth half of that in exchange & or resale value. If you arent gonna use them, please dont take them to sell. I no longer work on the ocean so they are yours.

There is a catch though: you will give me some True Transient Merch and a shoutout to me (highwayman) & others here at www.squattheplanet.com in your opening youtube video. I feel its only fair to cross promote about our awesome nonprofit forum & community here. Who knows maybe some viewers will be inspired & want to learn how to go about starting their own adventures?
First off, I want to thank you for putting aside the differences we may have and offering to help me out on this journey. Hell yeah man. Really appreciate it.

If I can swing it, I'd be totally down for making the 5 hour drive out from where I am (northern PA) to New Bedford, MA. I think it would be worth it to check these items out.

To your offers, I am interested in 2 out of the 3 items. The PFD I would absolutely love to take on my journey as I haven't yet purchased a PFD and this one seems like just what I need & the 55L dry sailing bag looks great too. I am concerned with waterproofing as I will have electronics with me in order to film and edit on the road. My current bag doesn't have the waterproofing capabilities I am interested in.

The suit I would like to take a further look at in person, I don't think it is completely necessary and worth it to take up space in my vessel but who knows I may change my mind in person.

I'll throw you some True Transient merch of course and I don't see a problem with giving a shout out to you and the STP community, as they have helped me out greatly over the past year.

I am going to message you so we can further talk about this. Thanks again man!!

D

Deleted member 20

I deleted myself
The survival suit is a great piece of gear you will hope you never need. If anything you can stow it & show it to the USCG, marine police when you get hassled. Who knows you could even drag it trailing behind the boat, lol. If for some reason you get in a precarious situation you can don it to give you some security. I have encountered all types of disaster at sea. We once demasted a sailboat with our 165' clammer while we were steaming at 10 knots, imagine what we would have done to a canoe. Often enough even 20-30' sailboats are barely a blip on he radar with there weekend operators completely clueless to the rules of the road under sail. We nearly killed the elderly couple who were preparing dinner (while bobbing in the channel).

Keep the option open. We all want you to live long enough to make your future freight hopping videos. :D

D

Deleted member 20

I deleted myself
Update: I just acquired 2 free kayaks so only the survival suit is still available. I am gonna keep the pfds and dry bag to do some local kayaking/camping with my daughter. I originally expected this stuff to be picked up or delivered already and even offered to have it dropped off so... sorry we couldnt coordinate the logistics of making this happen.

I am sure that you are just busy trying to get everything in order but in this case, "ya snooze; ya loose".

Good luck with your trip.

Durp

Hobo
a canoe is insane for this trip. Please think about a good sea kayak. The gulf can get nasty on occasion, and honestly I think a canoe for this trip is just reckless. Please do not die.