of owning things,
not one kneels to another, nor to his kind
that lived
thousands of years ago,
not one is respectable or unhappy over the
whole earth.
-Walt Whitman
Why are we so domesticated?
complain about your job every day. but wake up tomorrow and do it to yourself again.
ask yourself: what does one need to be content in life?
satisfaction can come from...
- good food
- comfortable shelter
- safe living environment
- spiritual enrichment
- pleasing entertainment
AND
the society of good people.
All of these things can be attained by capable individuals willing to work together as egalitarians, exhibiting equality in labor and in any profits.
ESCAPE THE RAT RACE

i wrote that for myself, more than for anyone else that reads it. like a self-affirmation, maybe.
I'm a slave in the Midwest des moines.
i never shed my wanderlust... i keep spinning my wheels in the mire of what we label 'conventional society'. and systems; economic, political, social.
more and more, as i get older, and older, i feel i must escape the things that are harmful to me.
afterall, animals know what is best for them.

I'm thinkin about lighting-up from here, if i can , before the winter creeps in.
if i can get ahold of a vehicle, that'd be 1st-choice, but otherwise, maybe just load up the ol' pack with what i can carry, and hit the road... or, of course, use the ride board.
I'm not a hobo-jungle master. i cant play any musical instruments. and i don't know how to juggle.
but camping & self-sufficiency are my bread and butter.
I'd like to head west, through Colorado, to begin. and probably south, after that, for warmer climate.
i prefer companionship. but I'm a bit of a misanthrope - only to homo sapiens. the next evolution is required: 'homo communis', perhaps.
homo communi do not believe in the profiting of one of their kind from the labor of another. they recognize the limits of their natural resources, and seek a balance between themselves and their immediate environment.
we'll recognize the reasoning behind the theory
Take What You Need. Give What You Can

(p.s. - i love rabble)

Kal

Reaction score
For the most part I like being alone but do not mind being around other people. And I like camping hell I do a lot of it, and I like to learn as much as I can about survival. And I agree take what you need. Give what you can. And one more thing I just load up my pack with what I need not to heavy and just go it's been one hell of an adventure and I love it.

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Kal

Reaction score
Right now I am in Waldport OR as far as tomorrow goes I might hang around until Wed. Heading south on the 101 just taking it easy. I read on hear that there is a hitch festival going on sometime in July. I might go to it.

RobHASboots

Reaction score
Right now I am in Waldport OR as far as tomorrow goes I might hang around until Wed. Heading south on the 101 just taking it easy. I read on hear that there is a hitch festival going on sometime in July. I might go to it.
hey, can i ask you something? -cause... you are OUT THERE, in the thick of it, and i am not...
when you are rambling n whatnot... on the road... doin the camp / squat the woods - type - o - thang...
is there, like, an ÍNDESPENSABLE' piece of equipment/possession that you gotta have to make things all-good? WHAT IS YOUR INDESPENSABLE THING?
[it can be something obvious, or abstract, or personal, or... obvious - like a (quality?) sleeping bag, or a music-maker, or... idk... camp stove? what dýa think? cannabis? what is YOUR 1 thing? -coffee. i like it a lot]

Reactions: Shinobi and Kal

ancienttoes

Reaction score
you should just be willing to do it. just camping stuff. some just use a tarp, not even a tent. you can meet others in person when you get into it and learn where to find others.

Reactions: Kal

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Welcome @RobHASboots !

I had to laugh a tiny bit, at your introduction. Not because of anything you said, but because I keep seeing the same thing, over and over..."the older I get..."

Imagine...growing up in a different generation, a different time...a time where, unless you were willing to starve possibly, or become a carnie, you did what was expected of you.

You graduated High School, you went to college, you held a full time job...all the while, being forced to suppress your wanderlust, while putting on the front that you were living the life you wanted.

When inside, you were dying a bit more every day and rebelling.

Welcome to the last 30 years of my life. I've known nothing but, doing what was expected of me (us old farts didn't have the freedoms and cool things now you young people of today, do) and just now, I'm starting to allow the Gypsy in me to come out.

I can't fight her any longer and I'm not going to try.

Not sure when the urge to throw everything to the wind and take off, will happen (I'm a planner, so right now, I'm doing that) but, even though I didn't see an age listed on your profile, I can tell, you are quite young.

I'm probably old enough to be your mother. But, my point is, you're never too old to start your journey.

Just don't let the fact that you might not be able to travel -yet- consume you.

I know...I've been there.

You're among a lot of, "in-the-know," people here who will be there for you before, during and after travel.

Peace!

Reactions: Mack and Kal

Kal

Reaction score
hey, can i ask you something? -cause... you are OUT THERE, in the thick of it, and i am not...
when you are rambling n whatnot... on the road... doin the camp / squat the woods - type - o - thang...
is there, like, an ÍNDESPENSABLE' piece of equipment/possession that you gotta have to make things all-good? WHAT IS YOUR INDESPENSABLE THING?
[it can be something obvious, or abstract, or personal, or... obvious - like a (quality?) sleeping bag, or a music-maker, or... idk... camp stove? what dýa think? cannabis? what is YOUR 1 thing? -coffee. i like it a lot]
I have this fork, knife, can opener and cork screw combination that I like a lot. Think I have had it for the past 2 to 3 years now maybe a little longer.

Kal

Reaction score
I have thirty years. this aint my first rodeo.
#1/3lifeCRISIS - stylee
I saw it first, in a shrouded mist... high. so high in the mountains above the town named after saint isidor: THE FOUNTAIN of YOUTH.

Kal

Reaction score
I have thirty years. this aint my first rodeo.
#1/3lifeCRISIS - stylee
I saw it first, in a shrouded mist... high. so high in the mountains above the town named after saint isidor: THE FOUNTAIN of YOUTH.
Damn your old just kidding. I am 9 years older than you

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Hey, welcome! I enjoyed your intro. Very spirited and poetic. The 9-5 gets soul crushing, doesn't it?
I'm saving up for a short bus to tramp around in. I should have enough within the next month or so.
Keep us updated, yeah?
Maybe there's a place for us aching, wandering souls after all.

RobHASboots

Reaction score
Hey, welcome! I enjoyed your intro. Very spirited and poetic. The 9-5 gets soul crushing, doesn't it?
I'm saving up for a short bus to tramp around in. I should have enough within the next month or so.
Keep us updated, yeah?
Maybe there's a place for us aching, wandering souls after all.
which way you heading in your short-bus?
(I'm always curious) ...how many strong will your band be?

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
no, andrea. I have my fair share of delusions. it can be no other way.
what about you? when you next break away, any ideas for your next destination? (I'm living vicariously, for the time being, I guess.)

My plans are a little delusional, I will admit, but they're my dream and they keep me going.

One day I plan to hit the "circuit." I'll move from event, to event.

I'll hit the Rainbow Gathering, the Burning Man, Civil War Reenactments (cheap camping, just gotta be willing to play by their rules) Hitchhikers events and Rendezvous events...same, cheap camping, like an organized Rainbow Gathering. Ha ha...not really, but it's a gathering of "mountain men and women" types out in the woods and they're a lot of fun. Laid back...and really social.

I'll spend a lot of time camping in state parks and such. I'm not above dumpster diving for food, I have lived a partially Freegan lifestyle (the husband doesn't share my "recycling" enthusiasm. He grew up dumpster diving, having everything handed down to him and having nothing, so the Freegan lifestyle is upsetting to him) for years, so I'm fine with it.

I don't need much and life on the road seems like the best option.

I'm still in the planning stages...I don't like surprises, so planning as best I can.

We'll see what the future brings.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
sweet, dude.
one day at a time.
heard of all these gatherings, but have yet to experience. . . . . I want trees, dirt, breeze, n the sea.
also, saw your thing for sept... good luck in FL
{ boxer terrier? }

Absolutely...one day at a time. I used to travel the Civil War reenactment circle and know that not all people who camped, "dress out."

I miss that life.

Yeah, Boston Terrier. She's my baby. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads