1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. This website is in no way involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers in the Black Market. These boards are only meant as a means for users to sell, trade, and buy goods, and we accept no responsibility for the legality, safety, accuracy, or legitimacy of the items listed on the Black Market board. Since we cannot guarantee that a buyer or seller will complete a transaction, both parties accept full responsibility for any transactions transpiring through the message boards. Now imagine a world where we don't need to say this shit.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, this notice is just to let you know that we periodically remove threads in the Black Market area that have had no responses in the past year. This way you can be assured the listings here are (relatively) fresh!

Wanted Ice Axe?

Discussion in 'The Black Market' started by Grubblin, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Grubblin

Grubblin Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
    If anyone has an ice axe that they'd be willing to part with I'm looking for one. Buy or trade.

2. creature

creature Completely Addicted
    Lifetime Supporter

Achievements:
    good question.
    Address:
    Santa Cruz, NM, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,864 / -24
    damn sweet tool..
    whereabouts are you... anything on craigslist?

3. OP
    OP
    Grubblin

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
    I can't find anything on Craiglist. People that have them tend to hold on to them bc you can change the heads when they get dull. A good one runs a hundred or so new. The local stores aren't even carrying them bc it's out of season but a hundred, it's a bit much. I thought this was a sit in the dark but you don't know until you try.

I'm in SW C0 and I'm looking to attempt a summit of my first 14er this summer. Once you get up that high in elevation it's good to have an axe just in case.

• Epic Epic x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Grubblin

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
    Oh yeah, if anyone does have one, or can get one, I have an excellent Dana Designs pack for trade. It's older but in excellent condition. No tears, holes, or broken anything.

5. creature

creature Completely Addicted
    Lifetime Supporter

Achievements:
    good question.
    Address:
    Santa Cruz, NM, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,864 / -24
    i'll keep my eyes peeled

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheWindAndRain

TheWindAndRain Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Address:
    Silver City, NM, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +367 / -30
    Gaiters are another new thing to consider at that elevation. Oudoor Research makes the best ones.

7. OP
    OP
    Grubblin

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
    Thanks for the tip. I have a pair but I'm not sure what brand, maybe OR?

8. Susquehanna Tootsie

Susquehanna Tootsie is getting to know the place
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    kitchen bitch/line cook
    Address:
    Wilkes-Barre, PA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Are you still looking for ice axes? @Grubblin

9. OP
    OP
    Grubblin

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
  10. Susquehanna Tootsie

StP Supporter

Achievements:
    kitchen bitch/line cook
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    @Grubblin Okay before I waste any of your time, are you looking for ones you may have to replace the heads on? The ones I have are heavily weathered from use and pretty dull but sturdy nonetheless. You may be better versed on ice climbing gear than I am, I'm mostly a trad climber lolo

11. OP
    OP
    Grubblin

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
    Yeah, I'd rather have one where you can replace the head. I'm not really a climber, more of a high elevation hiker. I'm looking for one that's more of an insurance policy than anything else. I want to hike my first fourteener this summer and the snow and ice up top is taking forever to melt. I just don't want to bust my ass getting to 13.5 only to run into an ice field and have to turn around. I got ran off of a thirteener, a hundred feet from the summit, in RMNP last summer by a sudden lightning storm. I'm trying to prepare for any possible occurrence this time.

Can you sharpen the heads on the axes you have? I'm only looking for one at the moment.

12. Susquehanna Tootsie

StP Supporter

Achievements:
    kitchen bitch/line cook
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Theres 2 that have a hammer type end along with the pickaxe part. And the third, the longest, has the pickaxe part and a adze (?) Used to chisel steps, and make seats and stuff.

Attached Files:

13. Susquehanna Tootsie

StP Supporter

Achievements:
    kitchen bitch/line cook
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    As for sharpening them I can't say because I have absolutely no idea. Im not even too sure the two with the hammer ends are considered ice axes, but figured I'd include them.

14. OP
    OP
    Grubblin

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
    Do any of them have a sheath with them? It's not necessary but it would make it easier to travel with. I mainly just need the hook part in case I start shooting down the mountain on my face. I can always try to sharpen them and hope that I won't need it. I just don't have a grinding wheel if it's hardened steel. I'm interested. Price? Trade? What would you prefer?

15. Susquehanna Tootsie

StP Supporter

Achievements:
    kitchen bitch/line cook
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Unfortunately I do not have sheaths for any of them. They do have carabiner holes on the tops though if that helps at all. Which axe would you prefer, id like to hold onto at least 1 of the hammer type ones though. You're welcome to the other 2. I'd be interested in a trade if that backpack you mentioned earlier in the thread is still on the bargaining table.

16. OP
    OP
    Grubblin

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +307 / -4
    It is. I have to run right now but pm me later and we'll set something up. The pack fits me, I'm six foot, 180 lbs. I say that bc I don't think Dana designs is in business any more so if the belt doesn't fit then you can't find another. It's a large size (frame of the person), I'm not sure how many liters - it's black with light grey trim. I'll send you a pic later. Have a great holiday.

17. Hillbilly Castro

Hillbilly Castro Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Tramp
    Address:
    Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,056 / -10
    I also have two ice axes I could part with. let me know if you need them