I was a Halloween hobo in 2nd grade!

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
Greetings fellow travelers, I'm Dune. I've been living a pretty stationary life while always dreaming of cutting my leash for the open road/trail/rail. Been spending a lot of time reading up on skills and advice. I'm not a complete newbie--I hitched around a bit in my younger years (I'm in my 40's) and had some awesome and scarey times. I've never road the rails, but itching to real bad. Anyway, I love reading all the stories, and hope to contribute a few of my own soon. Fun fact about me: I've held an elected position before!

Peace,
Dune

K

Kim Chee

I was a hobo for Halloween once when I was 5.

Complete with a bindle on a stick.

I also was a homeless person complete with a trash filled shopping cart as an adult when I bounced at a night club.

I made good on that shit and did it for real a few years later:)

Welcome, and I can't be the only one wondering which high faluting office you held.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
I was elected to a Community Service District board. A lowly position of power overseeing water, sewer, and recreation services in a community of 1000. My "salary" was $80/month.

K

Kim Chee

My "salary" was $80/month.

I hope that it didn't take up much of your time.

Somehow, I envision it to be more of a "service" to the community than "work".

The other overpaid servants might want to take note.

To bring back the public service aspect to government I propose:
Free government housing and an allowance for all elected officials.
*Maybe your kids can get a scholarship too.

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
It was only one meeting per month (usually), plus a little homework time. It was more of a service than a job; certainly didn't do it for the money, but it was nice getting a little compensation for my time. I really liked my little community (mostly peace loving hippies), which is why I did it. It was a little stressful getting yelled at by some of the right-wing kooks for any and everything they blamed you for (high water bills, crime, etc.)

I agree with you about overpaid public servants. Most of them just do it for the money and power, which is why the system doesn't work, and corruption is rampant.

D

Deleted member 16034

Your dog looks like a big and less furry version of my dog..

Welcome to STP! Have you reached the planning stage of traveling or are you still in the want stage?

Dunedrifter

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Ha, I see that.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads