I want to get the fuck out my city

Reaction score
holahola!! been squatting for about 6 years in barcelona , i want to get out of here and travel through europe ( to start) , i dont really know where to start or how , to be honest im a bit afraid mostly because im a girl and i dont feel like solo travelling is safe so if anyone is looking for a travel partner i' ll be super happy to join u!!:)

Reactions: StructuratedFire
Reaction score
Could I kindly ask you why you want to get out of Barcelona?, I am from Spain, living abroad and I will move to Amsterdam soon, I go there to live(not tourist).

Looking for similar people around(nationality, culture, but specially in mentality), it is possible I will squat something in Amsterdam.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
im hoping to visit barcelona soon, is there anything you DO like about it?

Reaction score
Could I kindly ask you why you want to get out of Barcelona?, I am from Spain, living abroad and I will move to Amsterdam soon, I go there to live(not tourist).

Looking for similar people around(nationality, culture, but specially in mentality), it is possible I will squat something in Amsterdao

of course! been feeling like shit the last few months and i feel that if i stay in one city forever when there's a lot to see in other places im gonna feel like shit till the day i die . why u moving to amsterdam?

Reaction score
im hoping to visit barcelona soon, is there anything you DO like about it?
yes! theres always something to do , also barcelona is one of the best cities for squatting , the hc/punk scene is strong , recycling is also so fucking good you can eat like a king for free jajaja and there are some beautifull places like Casa Batlló , Sagrada Familia ect but theyre always crowded

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yes! theres always something to do , also barcelona is one of the best cities for squatting , the hc/punk scene is strong , recycling is also so fucking good you can eat like a king for free jajaja and there are some beautifull places like Casa Batlló , Sagrada Familia ect but theyre always crowded
That's awesome, I'm thinking about moving there and trying to get citizenship so I can travel the EU without limits. I've always heard good things about Barcelona, I'd love to meet squatters there.

I think a good resource for you (besides StP) would be hitchwiki.org. The hitchhiking community in europe is much stronger than in the USA, and there's regular meetups and folks looking for others to travel with. Check out their website for more info, and if you want a link to their channel on signal, or to join the hitchwiki mailing list, send me a private message and I'd be happy to give you those.

• Useful
Reactions: CouchPunx
Reaction score
That's awesome, I'm thinking about moving there and trying to get citizenship so I can travel the EU without limits. I've always heard good things about Barcelona, I'd love to meet squatters there.

I think a good resource for you (besides StP) would be hitchwiki.org. The hitchhiking community in europe is much stronger than in the USA, and there's regular meetups and folks looking for others to travel with. Check out their website for more info, and if you want a link to their channel on signal, or to join the hitchwiki mailing list, send me a private message and I'd be happy to give you those.
nice!:) If i still in barcelona when you come i'll be happy to show you some squats and stuff ! and thank you very much for the info gonna send u a message now for the signal link

Reactions: Matt Derrick
Reaction score
of course! been feeling like shit the last few months and i feel that if i stay in one city forever when there's a lot to see in other places im gonna feel like shit till the day i die . why u moving to amsterdam?
I can understand, since the covid thing, Spain is kind of a toxic place, specially the big cities.

I am moving there because work/studies. Looking for to squat something or similar there.

I have listed Amsterdam is quite nice, very open people.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can understand since the covid thing Spain is kind of a toxic place, specially the big cities.

I am moving there because work/studies. Looking for to squat something or similar there.

we can talk somewhere else if u want to now each other a bit , maybe we can open a place there together !

CouchPunx

Reaction score
i remember having a good time in spain. There was a squatted hot springs outside of granada that was cool, everywhere I went in europe people were really open about inviting me to their squats or whatever was happening. If you've been doing it in barcelona for six years you probably know people in other communities around europe, why not just start by visiting one of them, hop from spot to spot until you find a traveling partner or two?
I second the hitchwiki thing, i would never use it in the US but I went to a hitchwiki gathering in Morocco and met a lot of really good people, had a blast. Definitely a good resource.
good luck, you all got me wanting to head back to that part of the world

• Useful

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I traveled for some time in Europe (I'm from Germany). Had a good time in Belgium (Antwerp mostly) and also in Switzerland. But most time I spent in England. Bristol, London, Brighton mostly but also Manchester, Leeds, etc. I can only recommend it. Quite big squatting communtity there, especially in the South West. Bristol really was my favourte place of all. That was before Brexit was fully implemented, though. Nowadays you need a passport to go there of course and I'm not really aware of all consequences Brexit has for vagabond travelers. But I think, if you go there just as a tourist for one or two months you should be fine.

And yeah, traveling and seeing the world (even if your destinations are not soo far away) is always worth it! :)

Reactions: martatatatataa

Anagor

Reaction score
Website

Amsterdam is nice, indeed. But also crowded with tourists. And laws and law enforcement are surprisingly strict there. You should not expect to be okay smoking a joint and having a beer at the channels. At least not at daytime.

And yeah, I got fined 150 € for sleeping rough in a quite hidden place (not in city centre). So be careful to know the laws. ;)

Reaction score
i remember having a good time in spain. There was a squatted hot springs outside of granada that was cool, everywhere I went in europe people were really open about inviting me to their squats or whatever was happening. If you've been doing it in barcelona for six years you probably know people in other communities around europe, why not just start by visiting one of them, hop from spot to spot until you find a traveling partner or two?
I second the hitchwiki thing, i would never use it in the US but I went to a hitchwiki gathering in Morocco and met a lot of really good people, had a blast. Definitely a good resource.
yeah! i live with three friends and they are from poland romania and ukraine ! Already talked about that with them but what pulls me back a bit is being out there alone, probably once I decide to do it I will realize that it is a waste of time to be afraid jajaja u should come back then :)

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: CouchPunx
Reaction score
Amsterdam is nice, indeed. But also crowded with tourists. And laws and law enforcement are surprisingly strict there. You should not expect to be okay smoking a joint and having a beer at the channels. At least not at daytime.

And yeah, I got fined 150 € for sleeping rough in a quite hidden place (not in city centre). So be careful to know the laws. ;)

Quite ridiculous to get fined for sleeping, it is not like they own the street or something. I dont really care about drugs or beer because I dont even take them, but I care about squatting, do you know if this possible there?, any advice?

Thanks

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
Quite ridiculous to get fined for sleeping, it is not like they own the street or something. I dont really care about drugs or beer because I dont even take them, but I care about squatting, do you know if this possible there?, any advice?

Thanks

There is an article about being homeless in Amsterdam, I think it is quite accurate:

I "only" got fined, not arrested, though. And it was not even police, it was "handhaving". They deal with enforcing rules and regulations and deal with "antisocial behaviour", whatever that is, lol.

Well, I looked 100% homeless ... tattered clothes and shoes held together with electrical tape and so on. Perhaps, if I would have looked like just a backpacker who missed his hostel it would have been different. Dunno.

When it comes to squatting, I have no experience in the Netherlands, sorry. All squatting I did was in UK and in Belgium. But IIRC they changed laws years ago to make squatting illegal, as it is in Germany. But on the other hand, there are squats in Germany, so ...

AestheticTramper

Reaction score

How did you get invited, or even find these places? I travel nomadically, but never find anything current. (lack connections)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads