Photos - I stayed at Nevada's most haunted Clown Motel and it was just okay | Squat the Planet

Photos I stayed at Nevada's most haunted Clown Motel and it was just okay

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
So I found myself dangerously low on gas on my way to area 51 and since it's such a remote place, I knew I'd have to go at least 50 or so miles out of my way to the town of Tonopah, NV to fill up before making the journey south. It was the only option for gas in at least a 100 mile radius.

My inner dialogue about how much of a dump this town was got interrupted by a realization that Tonopah was also home to the infamous 'clown motel', a place that had been on my travel bucket list for a few years. Being a bit flush with cash from my recently quit job, I decided fuck it, let's check it out.

20190911_222434.jpg

What I didn't know is that the motel had been bought by a family from India not more than three months earlier, and was under some pretty heavy construction. This might have been one of the reasons I was a bit let down, since there was a severe lack of clown ornamentation in just about any of the rooms I could see into.

Maybe in a few months the den of horrors one would expect from a self proclaimed 'clown motel' will be more up to snuff.

Either way, my main attraction to paying for a 'clown motel' was to either get super weirded out by all the clown stuff or be utterly terrified by all the clown paraphernalia surrounding me as I slept. In my mind I pictured this:

Lisa_s_First_Word_82.JPG.jpg

But somewhat disappointingly I got this:

20190912_083512.jpg

Which, really, is just a regular hotel room. The only thing clown related was two framed photos of clown versions of Clint Eastwood and former president Obama:

20190912_090742.jpg

20190912_090749.jpg

The place was pretty slap dashed, and not built really well, but this was a plus in my book, as I hate fancy hotels and definitely prefer my motels on the 'divey' side.

20190912_094636.jpg

The other plus was the Tonopah cemetery, literally next door. Old graves from as far back as the late 1800's, so that was cool, but it looked like a lot of the headstones had maybe been rebuilt at some point, so that kinda took some points off.

Also, I didn't see anything ghost wise or experience anything disturbing in my sleep. So I guess if you want a peaceful sleep and not to wake up levitating or to find a bloody head in your bed in the morning, this is probably great. For me tho, I was really hoping the shower would spray blood or something.

Oh well. Apparently there's like 5 movies being filmed there this year, so look forward to that. Hopefully they'll be more scary than the completely blissful sleep I had not being surrounded by childhood horrors.

Last edited:

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Damn! What a bummer it wasn't more off the rocker..

Cool cemetary, though.
And the choices of frames clown characature's is pretty great.

Good luck at your final destination!!! Hopefully it isn't as much of a let down..

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Damn! What a bummer it wasn't more off the rocker..

Cool cemetary, though.
And the choices of frames clown characature's is pretty great.

Good luck at your final destination!!! Hopefully it isn't as much of a let down..

Well, I'm headed down to Nola for the winter after alienstock this weekend, so I'm pretty stoked about that.

Jerrell

Reaction score
The room sounds like when that hotel chain with themed rooms hit the scene. Settle Inn maybe? My ex and I were all ready for some immersive experience and it was a normal room with some shitty landscape painted on the wall and a couple plastic trinkets. At least we had a hot tub in the room. haha

LEAN

Reaction score
I would've snagged that Clint painting.

• Love It
Reactions: Strangeandsolo

Strangeandsolo

Reaction score
Ditto Clint would have ripped off the wall hella fast...(also why we can't have nice things) Matt I thought you hates clowns.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Ditto Clint would have ripped off the wall hella fast...(also why we can't have nice things) Matt I thought you hates clowns.

Yeah I'm not a fan of clowns, which is why I thought this experience would be a lot creepier...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads