I know nothing | Squat the Planet

I know nothing

ihatestairs

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm mostly new here, I had an account when I thought I was going to move out of my parents' house and smash the system as a teenager, but I've forgotten the details.

I live in a punk house at the moment, we let the touring bands stay and put on houseshows for the smaller acts. We also drink and ...experiment... to a pretty good degree. The scene is shrinking as everyone's either growing up and getting real jobs or moving to London, Brighton or Bristol, so now I'm looking for a new adventure.

I've been planning to pick up and go for more years than I can count, and I've finally got to the point where I actually can, it all begins in July.

I'm flying to Italy at the beginning of July this year, hoping to see Sorrento, Naples, Rome, Florence and Venice. Then I'm going to trudge around Europe for a bit, hopefully visiting some people I know in France, Austria, Germany and Finland, with some other stops thrown in as well (Amsterdam, most importantly).

After a couple of months of that I plan on going to Australia, getting a job and then taking little or large trips out to Asia.

I basically have no plans, and not really very much money, so this seemed like a good community to get involved with.

Erm, I work with computers at the moment despite a degree in journalism, ho hum.

Thanks for listening.

qYRxWlR.png

janktoaster

Reaction score
How will you be getting around? I'll be in France/Italy/Switzerland/Germany on a solo road trip in July.... maybe our paths will cross

janktoaster

Reaction score
I would suggest a Eurail pass but I don't know if they're worth the hundreds of dollars.. I have yet to hitchhike anywhere other than the United States but I hear it's easier/more accepted, which is awesome.

I'd be down to meet up.. honestly

Reactions: ihatestairs
T

Tick Dickler

I would suggest a Eurail pass but I don't know if they're worth the hundreds of dollars.. I have yet to hitchhike anywhere other than the United States but I hear it's easier/more accepted, which is awesome.

I'd be down to meet up.. honestly

its easier down south. north of germany it gets really hard.

janktoaster

Reaction score
For some reason I'm not really surprised.. that makes sense to me. Do you know what it's like in Eastern Europe?

T

Tick Dickler

For some reason I'm not really surprised.. that makes sense to me. Do you know what it's like in Eastern Europe?
from what i know it varies greatly from country to country. its not a smooth transition like germany to spain. some guy from my class (hes from poland) said its hard to hike in belarus, while its easier to get around in poland, and almost impossible it ukraine.

janktoaster

Reaction score
Yeah, I feel like it would be almost obvious which countries would be the hardest to hitch in.. Romania....

Ukraine doesn't surprise me. I might have to ditch my car earlier and try my luck at European hitching

T

Tick Dickler

Yeah, I feel like it would be almost obvious which countries would be the hardest to hitch in.. Romania....

Ukraine doesn't surprise me. I might have to ditch my car earlier and try my luck at European hitching
its not to bad to hitch here. but ditch your car? like just leave it somewhere?::confused::

janktoaster

Reaction score
I could leave it at family's house and pick it up later :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
welcome! we have a few other brits on here, so welcome to the club :)

ihatestairs

Reaction score
What a great start, I would definitely appreciate some companions. I'm going to be travelling from the 6th, so any chance to team up and take the continent by storm seems like an opportunity too good to pass up.

Thanks for being so welcoming.

janktoaster

Reaction score
I agree.. much too good to pass up. I'm flying out of JFK the end of June and will be wandering around for a while.. no real schedule or plans, which is the way I like it

If I was on a school trip in France I might be temped to leave the group, but don't do that

T

Tick Dickler

I agree.. much too good to pass up. I'm flying out of JFK the end of June and will be wandering around for a while.. no real schedule or plans, which is the way I like it

this.

If I was on a school trip in France I might be temped to leave the group, but don't do that

i dont know if this is your first school trip, Ristoncor, but DO NOT LEAVE THE FUCKING GROUP. take it from someone who nearly had to pay 5000$

Ristoncor

Reaction score
when exactly and how long are you going to be there?

The middle of April 2015, not exactly sure when. I should be in the south for about ten days with a host family, then we all travel to Paris for a week or so.

take it from someone who nearly had to pay 5000$

For the trip, or because you left?

I speak French well enough that I might be able to, but it would unreasonable. First of all, I'm going to be paying for some of it with money I make working this summer. Secondly, I wouldn't have any gear or anything, only the clothes I packed for the trip, and I wouldn't have any way to get away anyway. Also, I'm pretty fucking young. I'd like to go to France once I get out of school, though. There's a really strong squatting and rap culture there.

Last edited:
Reactions: janktoaster

janktoaster

Reaction score
I'm Fluent in French, I was actually born in Monaco haha.. but I agree, don't wander away from your group. You could survive but it might not be in your best interest. Maybe finish school then get a plane ticket there and have your gear and all you need

Last edited:
Reactions: Ristoncor

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads