i don't want to run stp anymore (1 Viewer) Website Updates 

Status
This thread has been closed and cannot be replied to.

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
edit: just to let folks know, all is well now and i feel much better about where i am in terms of this website. thank you to all who replied and sent their support. i'm keeping this here for historical reference, but i no longer feel down about this so don't panic and remember to check the date when reading this thread :D

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I've been pretty quiet on the StP forums lately. If I didn't respond to your PM's I'm sorry, I just haven't had the energy. Also, I might end up rambling quite a bit in this post, since there's a shit ton of feelings I'm trying to work through, and explaining where I'm coming from in writing isn't the easiest thing to do.

The majority of my life revolves around working on StP with everything from editing posts, moving threads, squashing spam, to researching and testing new plugins that i think will add neat features to the website. For years now I've done this happily, since it constantly fed my nerdy need to play with computers and feed my wander lust at the same time.

This was fine up until a few years ago, when I wanted to branch out in a more creative way (photography, video, travel blogging etc). For a long time I ended up trying to incorporate StP into this, by putting a blog on the front page and the message boards on the back end, and that was neat for a while, and even earned me some fame (lots of tv people wanting to do projects with me), but ultimately i felt like it was hurting the community since the message board wasn't at the forefront, so I eventually went back to the way you see the forums now.

I also gave up on doing the blog for various reasons that I now kind of regret, since looking back on it now, making videos, doing photography, and travel blogging really made more more happy than doing anything else (including running these forums).

Over the past few years, I've struggled with adapting the StP website to both the needs of the community and myself, and in that time I've slowly discovered that the two just aren't compatible. The StP community wants and needs things that are a lot different that my own needs, and I've had this war going on in my head of how to make the two compatible for quite a few years now, and I've finally come to the conclusion that I just need to give up on the idea.

Another dream I've always had for StP is for it to be run as an "anarchist collective". Meaning, a group of people with a similar interest (creating, running, expanding the community) working together to make things happen in this online community and in real life.

Unfortunately, the reality is that travelers ('punk' travelers especially) are an incredibly irresponsible lot. We're more often ready to take than we are to give. You might think that statement is unfair, but it's the truth whether we want to acknowledge it or not. In all the years that StP has been a message board, about 90% of the 'moderators' here have either done nothing at all, or so little I haven't noticed (on a side note, this isn't a slam against the current mods, only past ones, since i've fired all the ones that aren't doing anything).

Also, when I trusted a few folks enough to make some of them mods, and even a few as admins, they betrayed me (this was in 2010), deleted my account on StP, and locked me out, claiming to be "taking over" StP from a "dictator" (me) for the betterment of the community. For those that weren't there, this was the result of one bad apple named 'widerstand' who's main agenda was convincing the rest of the staff I was a bad person for widening the horizons of StP from being just discussions of trains to discussions of all aspects of the punk/underground lifestyle. Widerstand's main gripe was a bizarrely right-wing fervor (that bordered on religious) about how we shouldn't have a "sex and relationships" section. Which to him, justified his actions, posting on StP the 'truth' about me (that i had NEVER ridden trains and was a liar) despite there being ridiculous amounts of evidence to the contrary, and claiming i was using StP to prey on underage girls (although he provided no evidence at all of that) and calling me on my cell to taunt me and brag about what a creative and awesome person he was and how this is what happens to people "that get in his way".

A quick phone call to my web hosting company and about 2 hours later, and I had control of my website back. It was quite the "revolution".

Years later, I would trust another person to be an admin, this time @katbastard , who seemed to be a decent person in real life, until I found out he was both a liar and a child molester. I won't go into that whole story since the thread in the link kinda speaks for itself.

So, instead of having an awesome collective of people wanting to create and foster an amazing community, I've been kind of left with some serious trust issues.

Going back to the matter at hand, my point is that (with the exception of a few mods) I've run StP almost entirely single handedly, for almost FIFTEEN YEARS. I've done it with a decent amount of moral support, but very, very, little input or suggestions on what people like/want (except to complain when i don't get it right), and after all this time I'm FUCKING TIRED, and I want to go do something else.

Now on one hand, I don't want to see StP go away. But on the other, my passion for taking care of all the maintenance here is pretty much non-existent. Third, due to bad admins/mods i've had in the past, it makes it REALLY hard to trust anyone enough to pass on the torch to them.

And frankly, i don't have much faith that this community will step up to the task of running itself. So at this point i'm really not sure what to do. I need to take some time away from StP for a while. I want to move on to other more serious travel projects and that means staying clear of all of it, including paying StP's bills. I just need some time away where I don't have all of this website's problems sitting in the back of my head.

If that means shutting down StP, then that's what I'll do, but I'd really like to avoid that at all costs. But it's not going to happen magically, it's going to require that this community step up for itself instead of me doing all the work for everyone. So what i'm looking for right now is suggestions on how we can all make this work. If you still care about the StP community, step up and help us out, otherwise, don't be surprised if the website disappears one of these days.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i know i am new, but i am here to assist if you need anything. i spend most of my time on the computer nowadays anyway, as i am not to set out on my next journey for a while. thank you all for this website, it is a wonderful place.

thanks man, this thread is hella old, so i'm not nearly as down on it as i used to be (quite the opposite actually) but i always need extra help, especially if you have website development skills :)

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
ghosty, way fucking cool..

Glorious Leader has flown sky high from that previous funk, but it was understandable..

how does somebody get away with managing a site like this, working for shit wages & still scape up enough to not just Let the Fuck Go??

Matt is the point on a spear.. the First Atom..

the First Fucking Eigenvalue of the First Fucking Electron Wave State..

even fucking electrons need to fucking collapse, now & then..

anyways..

yeah.. i agree.. but even more so..

this site is not just great,

... this site is fucking Critical..

ghostjohny

Pilgrim
Reaction score
i stumbled upon it a week or so ago and honestly have just been meandering around reading and enjoying myself ever so much. it's strange how things work out, no? i had the desire for freedom once again and then i find a place like this. truly exciting universe our souls are currently existing within

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
you know.. it's funny..

back in the day when there were these things called "Books", you had to go to a fucking "Library" to look up things like "Maps"...

once in a while i would wonder...

"Don't these motherfuckers ever get tired of "Writing"....?"

shabti

Vagabond
Reaction score
Just did the survey monkey thing, spoke about how much this site means to me, how Matt's example makes me want to learn more than bash commands. Lemme know how I can help. I'm tied down on probation, so this is definitely a thing I'd get into full time. Ask for help asshat !! Lol. Don't trip, we're here for you.

Lob

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone noticed, but I've been pretty quiet on the StP forums lately. If I didn't respond to your PM's I'm sorry, I just haven't had the energy. Also, I might end up rambling quite a bit in this post, since there's a shit ton of feelings I'm trying to work through, and explaining where I'm coming from in writing isn't the easiest thing to do.

The majority of my life revolves around working on StP with everything from editing posts, moving threads, squashing spam, to researching and testing new plugins that i think will add neat features to the website. For years now I've done this happily, since it constantly fed my nerdy need to play with computers and feed my wander lust at the same time.

This was fine up until a few years ago, when I wanted to branch out in a more creative way (photography, video, travel blogging etc). For a long time I ended up trying to incorporate StP into this, by putting a blog on the front page and the message boards on the back end, and that was neat for a while, and even earned me some fame (lots of tv people wanting to do projects with me), but ultimately i felt like it was hurting the community since the message board wasn't at the forefront, so I eventually went back to the way you see the forums now.

I also gave up on doing the blog for various reasons that I now kind of regret, since looking back on it now, making videos, doing photography, and travel blogging really made more more happy than doing anything else (including running these forums).

Over the past few years, I've struggled with adapting the StP website to both the needs of the community and myself, and in that time I've slowly discovered that the two just aren't compatible. The StP community wants and needs things that are a lot different that my own needs, and I've had this war going on in my head of how to make the two compatible for quite a few years now, and I've finally come to the conclusion that I just need to give up on the idea.

Another dream I've always had for StP is for it to be run as an "anarchist collective". Meaning, a group of people with a similar interest (creating, running, expanding the community) working together to make things happen in this online community and in real life.

Unfortunately, the reality is that travelers ('punk' travelers especially) are an incredibly irresponsible lot. We're more often ready to take than we are to give. You might think that statement is unfair, but it's the truth whether we want to acknowledge it or not. In all the years that StP has been a message board, about 90% of the 'moderators' here have either done nothing at all, or so little I haven't noticed (on a side note, this isn't a slam against the current mods, only past ones, since i've fired all the ones that aren't doing anything).

Also, when I trusted a few folks enough to make some of them mods, and even a few as admins, they betrayed me (this was in 2010), deleted my account on StP, and locked me out, claiming to be "taking over" StP from a "dictator" (me) for the betterment of the community. For those that weren't there, this was the result of one bad apple named 'widerstand' who's main agenda was convincing the rest of the staff I was a bad person for widening the horizons of StP from being just discussions of trains to discussions of all aspects of the punk/underground lifestyle. Widerstand's main gripe was a bizarrely right-wing fervor (that bordered on religious) about how we shouldn't have a "sex and relationships" section. Which to him, justified his actions, posting on StP the 'truth' about me (that i had NEVER ridden trains and was a liar) despite there being ridiculous amounts of evidence to the contrary, and claiming i was using StP to prey on underage girls (although he provided no evidence at all of that) and calling me on my cell to taunt me and brag about what a creative and awesome person he was and how this is what happens to people "that get in his way".

A quick phone call to my web hosting company and about 2 hours later, and I had control of my website back. It was quite the "revolution".

Years later, I would trust another person to be an admin, this time @katbastard , who seemed to be a decent person in real life, until I found out he was both a liar and a child molester. I won't go into that whole story since the thread in the link kinda speaks for itself.

So, instead of having an awesome collective of people wanting to create and foster an amazing community, I've been kind of left with some serious trust issues.

Going back to the matter at hand, my point is that (with the exception of a few mods) I've run StP almost entirely single handedly, for almost FIFTEEN YEARS. I've done it with a decent amount of moral support, but very, very, little input or suggestions on what people like/want (except to complain when i don't get it right), and after all this time I'm FUCKING TIRED, and I want to go do something else.

Now on one hand, I don't want to see StP go away. But on the other, my passion for taking care of all the maintenance here is pretty much non-existent. Third, due to bad admins/mods i've had in the past, it makes it REALLY hard to trust anyone enough to pass on the torch to them.

And frankly, i don't have much faith that this community will step up to the task of running itself. So at this point i'm really not sure what to do. I need to take some time away from StP for a while. I want to move on to other more serious travel projects and that means staying clear of all of it, including paying StP's bills. I just need some time away where I don't have all of this website's problems sitting in the back of my head.

If that means shutting down StP, then that's what I'll do, but I'd really like to avoid that at all costs. But it's not going to happen magically, it's going to require that this community step up for itself instead of me doing all the work for everyone. So what i'm looking for right now is suggestions on how we can all make this work. If you still care about the StP community, step up and help us out, otherwise, don't be surprised if the website disappears one of these days.
Hey i know this is an old thread

Hey i know this is an old thread. I hope your over the funk. Im new to this site but its becoming my go-to for travel info. This site is very impressive for someone with little help. F

Hey i know this is an old thread. I hope youve changed your mind about how your feeling about the site. Im new to this site and its starting to become my go-to for travel info. Its very impressive what youve done with such little help from the actual upkeep . its got to be a challange!
If you ever need help with anything let me know. Im not afraid to work for free.
I met a couple that owned a bar and i put in alot of free time to develope a nice menu and help them start turning a profit. I know restaurant bis is like apple to oranges but like i stated i dont mind helping people with visions they have.
Right now im traveling to the legal states to learn how to cook with MJ oils. Im diving in head first like i always do.
This site has helped me map this little journey out. Im sure i will be continuing aslo. Thanks again for putting all this years in and not giving up

Lob

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Sorry made a mess with posting. I was in the middle of a project when i was writing in this thread. Everytime my phone when into sleep mode i couldnt find where i left off. Im still trying to work with this sites format. My bad . again this site so far has been pretty good.

A

AlwaysLost

I closed my account
Sorry made a mess with posting. I was in the middle of a project when i was writing in this thread. Everytime my phone when into sleep mode i couldnt find where i left off. Im still trying to work with this sites format. My bad . again this site so far has been pretty good.

It's all good bro. I know Matt will appreciate your sentiment. I was scared for a minute tho lol

Lob

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I dont know how i ended up at his post i just kept jumping threads. Tons of intresting post gotta watch the dates. Haha i was responding to a road dawg thread from like 3 years ago. 90% of the people ive talked to on this site have been pretty straight up. Tons of ideas on stealth camping. Info on Freecampsite finder. And on and on. Ive been on for a few weeks and im coming to this site more than any other. Those fb pages its like pulling teeth getting info. But ill be good im traveling if they like it or not.

Matt Derrick

Permanent Wanderer
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey i know this is an old thread

Hey i know this is an old thread. I hope your over the funk. Im new to this site but its becoming my go-to for travel info. This site is very impressive for someone with little help. F

Hey i know this is an old thread. I hope youve changed your mind about how your feeling about the site. Im new to this site and its starting to become my go-to for travel info. Its very impressive what youve done with such little help from the actual upkeep . its got to be a challange!
If you ever need help with anything let me know. Im not afraid to work for free.
I met a couple that owned a bar and i put in alot of free time to develope a nice menu and help them start turning a profit. I know restaurant bis is like apple to oranges but like i stated i dont mind helping people with visions they have.
Right now im traveling to the legal states to learn how to cook with MJ oils. Im diving in head first like i always do.
This site has helped me map this little journey out. Im sure i will be continuing aslo. Thanks again for putting all this years in and not giving up

thanks man, i appreciate it. i'm not giving up and stp will continue to chug along as it always has. got lots of new features coming soon! to avoid confusion though i think i'm going to close this thread so it doesn't get resurrected again.

Status
This thread has been closed and cannot be replied to.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.