I don't know what to make of this guy...

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Jambo Organizer
Current Location
Slab City, Ca
I picked up a hitch hiker in southern BC this evening slightly after sunset. He said his name is Nick, he's from the UK and that he had hitchhiked there from South America. He was carrying what appeared to be no gear aside from a small- no shit- Jansport school style backpack and a pair of skis along with his regular clothes and a jacket and boots. It's like, 30 degrees. He's heading to Alaska too.

I asked if he wanted to ride up with me, and he asked how long I was going to keep driving and I said I don't know, I have a few hours of energy left. He never really answered the question. At some point, I said "I might start looking for a place to chill for the night, you're welcome to crash on my bench here if you don't want to go wandering around in the dark and rain." He still never made a clear answer. I stopped to get diesel and maybe crash for the night and he's like, "I'll just head out here." We're in Williams Lake. I told him I'd pick him up if I saw him again. He said "Legend."

My questions are thus; what is this guy's deal? Where is his gear and what the hell is he doing?
Is he a super rich kid that's gotten lucky he's not dead yet, or is he some kind of wizard?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people

Joe Btfsplk

Rambler
Current Location
MKE
Hey, Corn:

Everything is sketchy with a stranger, have to feel them out, get their drift. It's a gamble; your gut instinct. 'Nuff said.

Friday the thirteenth? I had an eye operation follow-up on this Friday the thirteenth at 0915. Room 666.

A'tween the two of us--use the word fuel instead of diesel or gas. Fuel is a universal word; terse. Effective.

Now knock it off and get back to the trip.

I would like to further your travel. Is there a way to get you fuel money on the road? I'm thousands of miles distant. Money orders are secure but you have no solid address.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Chazten

Rambler
Current Location
Daytona
Haha we picked up a goofball the other night in west Texas, he said he was walking to Vegas, he had no real gear, a shitty jansport pack like you mentioned, was clearly schizophrenic, told everyone he came in contact with how we was from New York and was so ill prepared for the desert it was comical. It really makes me wonder how some of these people have came so far

CaptainCassius

Wanderer
Current Location
Abroad, North America
Sounds like he might just be on a sick one.

About the gear question: I knew this lady that pretty much traveled that light all the time, just a jansport and her banjo, dog, and canteen. Mind you this was considerably warmer out but, she would literally only carry the bare minimum necessary gear for the season. I remember she'd just work up a few bucks busking and go to the thrift store if she wanted new clothes or pick up a sleeping bag and she'd ditch anything that she wasn't using. Weird? Maybe but who knows.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com

About the gear question: I knew this lady that pretty much traveled that light all the time, just a jansport and her banjo, dog, and canteen. Mind you this was considerably warmer out but, she would literally only carry the bare minimum necessary gear for the season. I remember she'd just work up a few bucks busking and go to the thrift store if she wanted new clothes or pick up a sleeping bag and she'd ditch anything that she wasn't using. Weird? Maybe but who knows.

THat is so FUcking Zen. ::drinkingbuddy::

Reactions: Jo jo Joseph Mims

Stinkyyy

Wanderer
Current Location
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yeah most of my mates literally just have a sleeping bag and an instrument of they play one.

OP
Cornelius Vango

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Jambo Organizer
Current Location
Slab City, Ca
Yeah most of my mates literally just have a sleeping bag and an instrument of they play one.
He had skis, and if he did have a sleeping bag in the backpack, it was all he had besides the skis and it was compact as fuck.

And, I don't think you guys are understanding this weather. It was drizzle and sleet and wind and at night. I grew up in Minnesota and spent tons of time camping in the winter and I'm telling you, I wouldn't have gone out in that in jeans and a jacket.

He could have been buying things as he needs them maybe, coming from South America one could get by that way easily, but the direction he was walking is endless stretches of pine trees, moose, bears and slushy shitty April melt snow and civilization is a tim hortons, a husky gas station and everything closes at night...

Like, he would either have to be clueless and think he could just walk until he finds a hotel, or he's possibly literally a fucking legend.

CaptainCassius

Wanderer
Current Location
Abroad, North America
He had skis, and if he did have a sleeping bag in the backpack, it was all he had besides the skis and it was compact as fuck.

And, I don't think you guys are understanding this weather. It was drizzle and sleet and wind and at night. I grew up in Minnesota and spent tons of time camping in the winter and I'm telling you, I wouldn't have gone out in that in jeans and a jacket.

He could have been buying things as he needs them maybe, coming from South America one could get by that way easily, but the direction he was walking is endless stretches of pine trees, moose, bears and slushy shitty April melt snow and civilization is a tim hortons, a husky gas station and everything closes at night...

Like, he would either have to be clueless and think he could just walk until he finds a hotel, or he's possibly literally a fucking legend.
Oh I understand, believe me.

It's likely one or the other; I like to think he's just a legend.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Flagstaff, AZ
Website
www.youtube.com
Bruh. You obviously picked up Chris McCandless 2.0. Should have told him to stay away from abandoned school buses.....