I can't think of a fancy title.

Fever

Reaction score
A couple days ago I just looked at her and said, "I got to do it, I just got to".
My mama was sitting there in front of the fireplace smoking a cigarette, I don't think she was prepared at all when she absently replied, "What?", and I told her that I want to hop trains. She stared at me for a minute and then threw her head back and groaned, "This is my punishment", and when I asked her what the punishment was for, she just told me, "All the things that I've done."
Since I've got a list chock full of things that I want to do (I've never added the "before I die" part to the title because thinking about finality and all that puts a damper on my mood) including entries like "Hitchhike/Pick up a hitchhiker" and "Meet a Rastafarian", I have no idea why she wasn't expecting such from me eventually.

But I do, and I will. Like I said, I've got to. I've got to hop some trains.
Of course, I haven't yet, but I'd really like to catch out to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, but perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm a bit fuzzy about how to get started though. I'd really like to meet someone who could show me the ropes (rails rather?). Maybe I've been watching too many Clint Eastwood movies and listening to too much Gun Club, but by God, what's done is done!
Did I mention that I hate North Carolina? I've been wanting to bomb this state from the second I emerged forth from the womb!

Anyway, I'm so thrilled that this forum exists, it's going to help me hone any skills I may need for the road ahead. I'm ready to learn!

Fever

Reaction score
Thanks! :p
I'd be coming from Charlotte NC, I suppose. I think it might actually be easier to catch out from a suburb, but I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm a bit fuzzy on how to get started. I guess I'll do some "field work" and scope out the yards first.

Tempest

Reaction score
Aha! I found you at last! Your intro is so much more eloquent than mine - Hell, I started with a lyric quote from Mr. Interior (not that that's not eloquent, it just isn't mine!)

Lilly

Reaction score
Haha lovin the intro...When I told my mum she was like "........Oh really?....You sure?" Then I explained a little and she was like "Good go do it....but you have to wait a till ur sis has her kid.." So I'm stuck for a year which is fine...I have no advice on how to hop a train though...but theres tons of info on it here

good luck!

threehalfgallons

Reaction score
well i was a wee bit of a thing when i started hopping.
without research or anything, i hopped on the fly at the age of about twelve and a half.
upon my return home (i had been kicked out), after my first mini tour, i got back and my mom was like WTF??, she didnt expect this little chica to have balls and ride around.
so when i told her i had been hopping trains, i didnt let her speak before inviting here to come and hop with me.
yes i asked my mother to catch out with me the next week.
she said, "babe, you and your friends would all be running to catch this train pulling out of the yard, and i would be the one idiot who falls off and is left behind."
so thats how it went with good ol mama dukes on this end.
good luck.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads