I am thinking of buying a van have a small car right now | Squat the Planet

I am thinking of buying a van have a small car right now

snoot

Reaction score
should I wait and buy the van in or around the slabs in ca. Where I live in arkansas people want them for hunting etc so they go for lots of money. Would I be better off to wait and drive my little car there or get the van here? I also am on disability and was wondering if any of you can let me know the best way to keep an address for social security. Will a po box work? I plan on slabs in the winter and staying in ca in summer just in cooler place. Any help would be great. I live of very little money each month. I do keep a good credit score and was thinking I could buy the van just outright with credit and pay that off. any help would be great.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
When I shop for vehicles I usually search a wide range. Usually any Craigslist within a days drive from where I'm living. About 250 to 500 miles. That will really open up your options. I personally don't know anything buying a vehicle at the slabs tho. Remember you will need to register in whichever state you are a resident.

As for getting your checks. If your don't have a trustworthy friend or family member you might consider using a forwarding address. It's a pay service that will let you use somebody else's address as your own. They will let you know when you get mail, what it is, and get it to you if needed.

mouse

Reaction score
I encourage you to use the car you have now first, assuming it's paid for. Pull the back and passenger seats, build a sleeping deck, etc . Lots of people do that.

I also am on disability and was wondering if any of you can let me know the best way to keep an address for social security. Will a po box work? I plan on slabs in the winter and staying in ca in summer just in cooler place.

I assume you already have direct deposit set up or are using the US direct express debit card, and that you will be able to access your funds wherever you are.

There are two different address we need to worry about.

* legal residence - the feds (and others) will require you to have a residence or "physical address". If you currently have a physical address I would use that going forward. You don't actually have to live there anymore since you are nomadic. And it is likely already on your DL.

* mailing address - you could use a PO Box, but you usually have to show a DL and a utility bill or similar. And you'd have to change your mailing address with AR DMV, SS, etc, every 6 months when you moved from place to place. And forwarding the PO boxes to each other as you move won't work as a great deal of federal mail is marked DO NOT FORWARD.

For the same price as a PO Box you can hire a mail forwarding service to be your mailing address. They'd collect the mail and send it to you wherever you are. The cheapest I know of is My Local Mailbox in San Antonio, $10/mo for the base service, plus the cost of postage they incur on your behalf. If you can find a cheap service like that in AR I'd use it so the mailing and residence state matches.

With these two addresses in place you can look like a typical homebody to the institutions but live your life on the road.

Good luck, brother.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads