chihuahuas on the road

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
thinking about getting a chihuahua to take on the road with me, yall think its a good or bad idea?

dprogram

Reaction score
Rats might eat it and people might have the urge to just kick it. Or...you might get hungry, want to kick it to death, then eat it. Seriously though. They are sickly dogs that are very susceptible to the temperature. They are also loud and it seems like it'd be hard to stay stealthy at all (if that's your goal). If you're travelling in your own car though I can't imagine it being a problem.

Edit: I'm biased because I don't like little yip-yip dogs or as I call them "kick me" dogs. They get on my last nerve.

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
well, ya basically just convinced me not to do it. i just figured a little chihuahua would be alot easier to toss in a boxcar than, say, a lab would

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
do you get jack russell terriers in the USA? they are in my opinion the only acceptable little dog, they are badass and have absolutely no idea that they are small and act like the hardest four legged monsters around. You can pick one of them up under your arm.

• Haha
Reactions: crow

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
yeah, we have plenty of those, i used to have a jack russel-chihuahua mix, the only problem with him was that he barked like a chihuahua. Im thinking about a collie mix, or a rhodesian ridgeback

freeranger

Reaction score
ya, i just don't think chihuahua's have the ability to stfu. its not their fault, just the way they're built, but still, can't imagine them as the best traveling companions.

id just find a small mutt at the pound who's on death-row. if nothing else you'll have given'em a reprieve for a short while.

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
looking back at the ones i had at home, that would be a major problem, does anyone know if puli's are good for traveling?

dprogram

Reaction score
A Jack Russel could probably jump into a box car...they can jump about 5 vertical feet.

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
a Jack Russel sounds like itd be great, Im also thinking about getting a rat instead of a dog, im not really sure yet

dprogram

Reaction score
I'm sorry I kind of hi-jacked your thread here man. Rats are great...smart, small, eat very little, no noise, and they make good companions. I miss my rat...she was awesome.

Reactions: barbuchon

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
dont worry about hi-jacking my thread hahah, yeah Ive been reading several threads about them, they seem like it would be great to travel with one, my only concern would be it pissing in my pocket (rat shits not bad, but thats cause its not liquid) and it eating my clothes/pack

meathook

Reaction score
i always try to discourage kids from getting dogs, but it's hypocritical as i have one myself. don't get a small dog, at least. get a decent sized dog that can carry its own food and water and still walk for miles. get a dog that at least looks like it can provide protection. get a dog that knows when to shut the fuck up and one that listens and takes commands well, not some prissy lap dog. jack russels are cool dogs as well, granted, but also yippy as fuck. and hyper.

why would you even want a small dog? one of the main benefits of keeping my girl around, i've found, is the added warmth from letting her sleep in my bag with me which keeps us both warm on windy nights. a chihuahua does not make a good space heater. it's true, i can't hop on the fly with her fat ass in tow, but it's so worth it to have the extra companionship. and i've heard of people hopping on the fly with dogs as large as mine [~70lbs], i'm just sort of a weakling and don't even want to think about trying for fear of hurting her.

if you just want a random pet for companionship just get a rat. mad crust points yo.

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
sometimes it depends on the dog, my homie Pigg's dog Gypsy (english lab) will hop a train quicker than most people will, but thats cause she was raised doing it, she wont live inside a building or she'll run away. I feel like a rat would be so much simpler, I could hop on the fly easily, and carry him around and inside without people knowing

Reactions: dprogram

Blackout

Reaction score
i have a couple friends that travel with chihuahuas they are realy get on my nerves. one when your around a bunch of drunk train kids they seems to get stepped on alot. two they blow spots up when your trying to be quiet. i have never hopped out with those kids but i would amagin if they road into a yard were trains are getting checked those lil shits would go off!!

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
yeah, Ive decided on getting a rat, and I actually dont drink hahah. I know thats wierd in the traveler community, i just hate the taste of alcohol, theres better ways to get intoxicated imo. but thats just me. but it'd probably get stepped on by other train kids that do drink

Blackout

Reaction score
its all good if you dont drink im trying to lay off but it never works:mad:
rats are cool iv had a couple never traveled with them thow
have you ben to lower east side in NYC every street kid out there has a rat

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
I havent left the south yet, thats how i got my name. but I get off probation in 5 months, then im heading west.

Shakou

Reaction score
Chihuahuas, like most small breed dogs, are prone to what's called "fear aggression". They don't freak out and bark because they think they are macho, they bark and freak out because they KNOW they AREN'T. They damn well know they are small and that the rest of the world can eat them for lunch. It's actually believed that the Chihuahua's ancestor's were the fennec fox, which is why their ears and eyes are so fucking big, and why they are always on the alert. They're watching and listening for predators (true fact, look it up).

That being said, not all Chihuahuas are yappy little monsters. I've met a lot who actually aren't. Nervous, but quiet, and if you approach them gently and calmly, even friendly. The problem with traveling with them, and any other small breed, is they ARE subject to attacks from dogs, coyotes, hawks, etc because they are considered prey. If you get one, you're going to have to be extra careful and protective.

SophiaII

Shoot Me
Reaction score
I have a very quiet old-lady chihuahua that I plan to take vanning with me. She'll wait in a purse or bag, pretty-as-you-please, while I go shopping and such. I'm planning more on van life, but she does well in stores and public bus so far.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads