Huge software update coming, many important updates, please read! (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, just wanted to let you all know about some important upcoming changes to StP in the just released Xenforo 2.2 forum software update. In short, there's going to be a plethora of new options available to you all, including the ability to make question threads, article threads, suggestion threads, in addition to the usual discussion threads.

I'm particularly excited about the ability to up vote and down vote answers to questions, in a reddit-style way that makes the most popular answers to questions float to the top. Thread authors (the person posting the question) can also select the 'best answer' and have that linked to the OP at the top of the thread.

There's also going to be vast improvements to the text editor (what you use for replies and creating threads), adding new options, easier to see previews, easier formatting of both text and images, and easier placement and viewing of both images and the text editor where you're placing images on the same screen (useful for posts with a LOT of images).

There's also a new progressive web app available that will make it easier to use StP on mobile devices.

There is literally a TON of changes and updates, more than I have time to cover here. In fact, it's going to take me a long time to configure everything for our community, so I will likely be making all these new options available to the community in stages over the next month or so.

Here's a list of new options in the software taken from the xenforo website for a more complete list of changes:
For those that would like to see everything in a more visual format, I'm including video demonstrations below (taken from the xenforo developers) of the new options so they will be a little easier to understand.

Of course, I'd like to hear your opinions or questions you have on all of this, so reply to this thread and I'll do my best to respond in a timely manner.

Forum and thread types:

Text editor improvements:

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
Here's a few wonky alignment issues showing up on mobile (android). I don't remember exactly what I was doing. One pic that's kinda shifted to the side, that was at 100% magnification, so normal screen but I could shift the thing over to the left, but not the right. Then there's one of the reply to thread option missing all the functions like italic, bold, color etc. Just a few screenshots, hope these help to clean up some issues

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201007_062018.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007_062018.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20201007_062607.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007_062607.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20201007_061952.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007_061952.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20201007_062553.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007_062553.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20201007_062101.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007_062101.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20201007_062030.jpg
    Screenshot_20201007_062030.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 19

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Here's a few wonky alignment issues showing up on mobile (android). I don't remember exactly what I was doing. One pic that's kinda shifted to the side, that was at 100% magnification, so normal screen but I could shift the thing over to the left, but not the right. Then there's one of the reply to thread option missing all the functions like italic, bold, color etc. Just a few screenshots, hope these help to clean up some issues
Hey, can you do me a favor and check these issues again? Most should be resolved. I've tested in firefox and chrome on android and it all looks good now. You might need to clear your browser cache to see the fixes.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $10.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $10.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $10.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $10.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.