Howdy | Squat the Planet

Howdy

Ashtree

Reaction score
Hey there,

My name is Ashley, I'm new to this forum (as you probably guessed by the fact that I'm introducing myself), and I'm going to try to explain who I am and where I'm at right now as best I can.

I'm in a pretty interesting space for myself right now. I'm just finishing being a Summer Camp Counselor on a farm and about to start traveling and living with a backpack and a tent. Before the residential Summer Camp Counselor position, I traveled and lived out of a very small backpack for 7 months through India, Malaysia, and Hong Kong doing work trades, but this'll be my first time with a tent.

After this Summer camp is over, I'm flying straight to a silent meditation retreat in California with a meditation teacher I adore. Then, besides traveling about a little with my twin, the only plan I really have is to try to attend the festival Faerieworlds. Otherwise, I've been feeling a call to start limiting my engagement with money and continue bartering and gifting. I'm also wanting to do that by starting hitchhiking and squatting/camping. I'm also super happy to continue doing work exchanges and potentially living in intentional communities sometimes. Eventually I see myself finding or helping birth an intentional community to live in for a longer period of time but I won't know when the time will come until it gets here. I'm also wanting to try incorporating dumpster diving into my life because it's so ridiculous that we waste food the way we do in this wacky weird system we humans have created. On the other hand, I really love growing food and eating food right from the garden but that'll happen more when I settle down for a bit.

I want to start my hitchiking journey after the meditation retreat by hitching from Sacramento to Portland. Another reason I'm wanting to hitch is to hopefully really connect with some people along the way. Which is the reason I want to limit my engagement with money -- so I can connect with people and the earth more (can explain more on this if clarification is wanted).

Also, just a little additional piece of information, I'm still traveling with a smart phone, but I'm wanting to switch to using a flip phone (maybe a slidey texty phone) and maybe a labtop (for emails and Skype with international friends). I have yet to acquire a labtop. I feel like I need it to figure out travel stuff, but I also feel like I really don't and I can always use libraries and internet cafes. I also just think it'd be convenient to have one, and why not, I could always pass it along later if I felt like it. It'd be a little big of a leap for me right now to just ditch the phone without a labtop, but I've taken a lot of big leaps with good rewards before.

I feel like I'm about to enter a new chapter of my experience, and I'm really excited to learn more about where my heart wants to take me on this life trip and what that new chapter will entail!

Of course there's way way more about me and my experience, but there's always so much more about us than we can put on an introduction, and I'd love to get to know you all more!

I really want to continue learning about the things I'm passionate about and interested in such as mycology, herbalism, permaculture, wilderness living skills, natural building, and communal living (village like, off-grid, off- capitalism, gift-economy, "self-sustainable"). I'm also really happy to continue sharing energy healing along the way. Also I think I want to get into stilt walking.

I feel like I have many options but no plans, because each right thing for sure flows into my life in the right timing. I'm not really trying to build much at the moment. I'm more in a state of enjoying each experience and living and I hope I keep that with me and deepen that as my goals and direction solidifies. For now I may need a little while without that!

If you read all this, thanks!! This is where I'm at right now! Subject to change very soon!

Cheers and happy hugs and smiles to you,
Ashley

Ashtree

Reaction score
Oh, also, I really prefer living outside in nature as much as possible which is one thing that makes this shift I feel coming more desirable. I do enjoy brief periods in towns/cities with cultures and nature I appreciate, though.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm wanting to switch to using a flip phone and maybe a labtop. I have yet to acquire a labtop. phone without a labtop

Really nice introduction. Welcome to Squat the Planet. Hey totally not trying to bust your chops or anything, just making sure you're on board with the rest of us. They're called laptops, because you can set them on your lap, even in a lab if you wanted to. I didn't want to come off like a grammar nazi, I was kinda just hoping you'd typo'd it, but it was spelled the same way 3 separate times so I figured maybe it's one of those things where you're just hearing the word wrong. My friend Lenix called fingers "thingers" up until he was around 12 years old. I used to call chest of drawers "chester drawers" it happens to all of us.

Ashtree

Reaction score
Really nice introduction. Welcome to Squat the Planet. Hey totally not trying to bust your chops or anything, just making sure you're on board with the rest of us. They're called laptops, because you can set them on your lap, even in a lab if you wanted to. I didn't want to come off like a grammar nazi, I was kinda just hoping you'd typo'd it, but it was spelled the same way 3 separate times so I figured maybe it's one of those things where you're just hearing the word wrong. My friend Lenix called fingers "thingers" up until he was around 12 years old. I used to call chest of drawers "chester drawers" it happens to all of us.

Thank you for the welcome! And thanks for enlightening me on the laptop thing! I think maybe I've spelled it correctly in my life before, but it's never a word I've been solid on. I guess I do hear and say "labtop" so it is most likely that I'm hearing it wrong! I don't think I'll forget now. It's no problem. I appreciate it (and I appreciate you checking for clarification).

Reactions: Jimmy Beans

Shaka

That One Guy
Reaction score
Welcome yo! There's good folk here who'll help ya out, all you gotta do is ask and if its with in their power they'll help. Check out the library bout bushcraft and stuff. Saw you say ye wanted to live in nature, me as well, which is why i downloaded their bushcraft pdf. Great knowledge to have.

Its the one in the center left. Im too lazy to go look for it. (Just woke up) All those pdfs I downloaded from said library here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180808-080719_PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20180808-080719_PDF Viewer.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 261

Ashtree

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome! And thanks for enlightening me on the laptop thing! I think maybe I've spelled it correctly in my life before, but it's never a word I've been solid on. I guess I do hear and say "labtop" so it is most likely that I'm hearing it wrong! I don't think I'll forget now. It's no problem. I appreciate it (and I appreciate you checking for clarification).

Hey, Shaka, thanks so much! That's really helpful and I'll for sure check it out! Nice to meet you on here. Also nice to meet you, too, Eng Jr Lupo! All appreciated. :)

Reactions: Jimmy Beans

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hey there,

My name is Ashley, I'm new to this forum (as you probably guessed by the fact that I'm introducing myself), and I'm going to try to explain who I am and where I'm at right now as best I can.

I'm in a pretty interesting space for myself right now. I'm just finishing being a Summer Camp Counselor on a farm and about to start traveling and living with a backpack and a tent. Before the residential Summer Camp Counselor position, I traveled and lived out of a very small backpack for 7 months through India, Malaysia, and Hong Kong doing work trades, but this'll be my first time with a tent.

After this Summer camp is over, I'm flying straight to a silent meditation retreat in California with a meditation teacher I adore. Then, besides traveling about a little with my twin, the only plan I really have is to try to attend the festival Faerieworlds. Otherwise, I've been feeling a call to start limiting my engagement with money and continue bartering and gifting. I'm also wanting to do that by starting hitchhiking and squatting/camping. I'm also super happy to continue doing work exchanges and potentially living in intentional communities sometimes. Eventually I see myself finding or helping birth an intentional community to live in for a longer period of time but I won't know when the time will come until it gets here. I'm also wanting to try incorporating dumpster diving into my life because it's so ridiculous that we waste food the way we do in this wacky weird system we humans have created. On the other hand, I really love growing food and eating food right from the garden but that'll happen more when I settle down for a bit.

I want to start my hitchiking journey after the meditation retreat by hitching from Sacramento to Portland. Another reason I'm wanting to hitch is to hopefully really connect with some people along the way. Which is the reason I want to limit my engagement with money -- so I can connect with people and the earth more (can explain more on this if clarification is wanted).

Also, just a little additional piece of information, I'm still traveling with a smart phone, but I'm wanting to switch to using a flip phone (maybe a slidey texty phone) and maybe a labtop (for emails and Skype with international friends). I have yet to acquire a labtop. I feel like I need it to figure out travel stuff, but I also feel like I really don't and I can always use libraries and internet cafes. I also just think it'd be convenient to have one, and why not, I could always pass it along later if I felt like it. It'd be a little big of a leap for me right now to just ditch the phone without a labtop, but I've taken a lot of big leaps with good rewards before.

I feel like I'm about to enter a new chapter of my experience, and I'm really excited to learn more about where my heart wants to take me on this life trip and what that new chapter will entail!

Of course there's way way more about me and my experience, but there's always so much more about us than we can put on an introduction, and I'd love to get to know you all more!

I really want to continue learning about the things I'm passionate about and interested in such as mycology, herbalism, permaculture, wilderness living skills, natural building, and communal living (village like, off-grid, off- capitalism, gift-economy, "self-sustainable"). I'm also really happy to continue sharing energy healing along the way. Also I think I want to get into stilt walking.

I feel like I have many options but no plans, because each right thing for sure flows into my life in the right timing. I'm not really trying to build much at the moment. I'm more in a state of enjoying each experience and living and I hope I keep that with me and deepen that as my goals and direction solidifies. For now I may need a little while without that!

If you read all this, thanks!! This is where I'm at right now! Subject to change very soon!

Cheers and happy hugs and smiles to you,
Ashley
Love your posting!!! Make too much sense!!! Thanks!!!

roughdraft

Reaction score

I used to think the "Barg's" brand of rootbeer was "Bang's" because of the old-timey cursive writing on the can >_>

Welcome to the site and enjoy the great bounty of resources!

I may DM you and bug you for information on India

Ashtree

Reaction score
I used to think the "Barg's" brand of rootbeer was "Bang's" because of the old-timey cursive writing on the can >_>

Welcome to the site and enjoy the great bounty of resources!

I may DM you and bug you for information on India
Aw, thanks for sharing that! And totally feel free to do that. I'm super happy to share info on India. India has a huge place in my heart!

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thank you so much! By the way, I'm from Milwaukee! And it says that's your current location. I'll for sure be back at some point. Not sure how long you're sticking around!
Hi, yes here in Milwaukee. Getting bad with crime here 10 homicide
Thank you so much! By the way, I'm from Milwaukee! And it says that's your current location. I'll for sure be back at some point. Not sure how long you're sticking around!
Hi, here in Milwaukee. I hope soon to leave and head out West! Crime getting bad here! Keep in touch!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads