Howdy! Im Vincent

jacketpunk

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hey! Im Vincent! My pronouns are he/him, im gay, and im a MINOR! Im a long time lurker but a first time member haha. I haven't squatted/traveled before but i hope to soon. Im a punk musician (in a band with my best friend @faunsrotting), a busker, and a big fan of horror movies! Im happy to meet everyone and hope to make some friends here :)

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Heya! Welcome to the site! The best and most obvious advice I have is be sure to wait until you're 18 to head out into the unknown, it'll make your life significantly easier. Other than that, this site has all sorts of information and stories that'll get you prepared for your first trip! What kind of method of getting around interests ya?

jacketpunk

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Heya! Welcome to the site! The best and most obvious advice I have is be sure to wait until you're 18 to head out into the unknown, it'll make your life significantly easier. Other than that, this site has all sorts of information and stories that'll get you prepared for your first trip! What kind of method of getting around interests ya?
Hitchhiking and trainhopping! i know theyre both very dangerous but the stories ive heard and seen sound like an experiance that i need in life, haha

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Boy howdy do I understand that. Yes they're both very dangerous but like all dangerous things there is a way to do it safely. There's a learning curve for sure but my next bit of unsolicited advice would be to remember your C's; composure, confidence, and cautiousness.

Composure means always try to be in a clear mindsight when hitching and hopping. That doesn't mean take an oath of sobriety or anything, just that if you're going to imbibe then maintaining a level head will keep you both safe and in control of the situation.

Confidence comes next as you're going to be faced with a lot of split second decisions that could be something as simple as "does this driver look safe?" or as critical as "will it be safe to hop on this train?". In either scenario poor judgement can lead to being hurt so knowing how to make a concise decision is important.

Cautiousness relates back to both composure and confidence in that at the end of the day, your safety and health should always be your primary concern. Living on the road is far from a cake walk, even though it was something I did for the better part of a decade, it's still something I wouldn't recommend to anyone lightly.

Yeesh, this ended up being way more long winded than I intended. Might end making a whole separate thread about tips... Anywho, guess I just felt like being preachy today, haha.

Last edited:

jacketpunk

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Boy howdy do I understand that. Yes they're both very dangerous but like all dangerous things there is a way to do it safely. There's a learning curve for sure but my next bit of unsolicited advice would be to remember your C's; composure, confidence, and cautiousness.

Composure means always try to be in a clear mindsight when hitching and hopping. That doesn't mean take an oath of sobriety or anything, just that if you're going to imbibe then maintaining a level head will keep you both safe and in a control of the situation.

Confidence comes next as you're going to be faced with a lot of split second decisions that could be something as simple as "does this driver look safe?" or as critical as "will it be safe to hop on this train?". In either scenario poor judgement can lead to being hurt so knowing how to make a concise decision is important.

Cautiousness relates back to both composure and confidence in that at the end of the day, your safety and health should always be your primary concern. Living on the road is far from a cake walk, even though it was something I did for the better part of a decade, it's still something I wouldn't recommend to anyone lightly.

Yeesh, this ended up being way more long winded than I intended. Might end making a whole separate thread about tips... Anywho, guess I just felt like being preachy today, haha.
thanks dude, i really appreciate it. when i finally hit the road ill be sure to keep those in mind! :)

• Best of Luck!
Reactions: EphemeralStick

packpossum

Reaction score
hey nice to meet u! looks like we like a lotta the same stuff lol. what instrument(s) do u busk with?
also seconding what someone else said, its super worth waiting til you're 18 before travelling. take care of yrself!

FawnGone

Reaction score
I started hitching/hopping at 16 and was fine. my parents never technically legally emancipated me, but they told the cops it was fine when they'd call them, and I had their permission to do whatever I was doing wherever I was doing it.
God, I loved seeing the cops look like sheepish assholes when they were so sure they were going to take me to juvie. Ha!
If your parents aren't nearly as cool as mine, I'd say waiting til your 18 makes sense too.

D

Deleted member 29963

Jumping jesus on a pogo stick, am I glad to see at least one minor threat out there still rocks it to the dead milkmen, welcome aboard!

jacketpunk

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
hey nice to meet u! looks like we like a lotta the same stuff lol. what instrument(s) do u busk with?
also seconding what someone else said, its super worth waiting til you're 18 before travelling. take care of yrself!
Usually guitar, but every once in a while i head out with a mandolin, haha. thanks for asking!

Reactions: packpossum

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads