Howdy from deep in the heart of Texas!

Jambalaya

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll! I'm a pretty solitary settled down dude in Texas currently. I'm pursuing some career changes partly due to the pandemic and just for a general change in life. I've been interested in train hopping for probably the most part of the past 20 years. I've been doing some research on my own. I've never heard of StP until a recent Google search. I'm excited to read up in the forums here and hopefully be able to contribute to the community at large. Thanks for having me!

Reactions: WanderLost

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
thanks for joining us! just out of curiousity, what were you searching for on google that brought you to us?

Jambalaya

Reaction score
Well I've been collecting info from various sources about train hopping over the years. I had let it sit in the back of my mind for a while and decided to type it into the search bar. I figured out you guys had a forum pertaining to that particularly. I like the fact that there's a bit of a vetting process involved, before just anyone can gain access to potential information there. I've been guarding an old photocopied CCG for the better part of two decades. I get it, people have to know that you're not the law. Also the general idea of StP is really awesome I wish I would have discovered you guys earlier.

6StringLovin

Reaction score
So for me I had been traveling for around 7 years straight. Rubber tramping mostly with some boat hitching. In 2017 I was working in an egalitarian community in missouri and felt ready to come back in off the road. Had my car, my pack out and like 150 bucks to my name. So I started searching for local diy houses, punk house, local squats whatever I could find. A link came up that said squat the planet and I was haha uh yes, please! I already do this basically. I clicked it and was like wait, wtf? It took me a few minutes to grasp what I just stumbled into.. I'd been rolling solo mostly and with some groups but never heard of this. It was just like fb (don't roast me for that comparison lol) but strictly for nomads and travelers! Blown away.

The wealth of information and resources here is unbelievable. I came up a street kid from a young age so I know this life, I lived and learned it the hard way and here was thousands of people's years of experience all collected and organized and new things coming in every minute of everyday.. just simply amazing.

I guess I don't know who the progenitor of stp is but if I thought my travel life knowledge and skills was a 10 before then it's surely 100 now. Huge shout out to you @Matt Derrick , you contribute some shit that I used to level up and learn from but also keep a clean house around here and show a lot of love and care to folks here. Without the work you out in here I would've never found RTR or the slabs, even some of the travel jobs that sustain me still today I found because of directors you pointed me in. Grateful for you bro. Keep it up and I keep sending other traveler friends and people that wanna escape the rat race here. This community is like no other I've been apart of yet. 👌🏻💯🔥❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤

Reactions: croc and Jambalaya

Jambalaya

Reaction score
So for me I had been traveling for around 7 years straight. Rubber tramping mostly with some boat hitching. In 2017 I was working in an egalitarian community in missouri and felt ready to come back in off the road. Had my car, my pack out and like 150 bucks to my name. So I started searching for local diy houses, punk house, local squats whatever I could find. A link came up that said squat the planet and I was haha uh yes, please! I already do this basically. I clicked it and was like wait, wtf? It took me a few minutes to grasp what I just stumbled into.. I'd been rolling solo mostly and with some groups but never heard of this. It was just like fb (don't roast me for that comparison lol) but strictly for nomads and travelers! Blown away.

The wealth of information and resources here is unbelievable. I came up a street kid from a young age so I know this life, I lived and learned it the hard way and here was thousands of people's years of experience all collected and organized and new things coming in every minute of everyday.. just simply amazing.

I guess I don't know who the progenitor of stp is but if I thought my travel life knowledge and skills was a 10 before then it's surely 100 now. Huge shout out to you @Matt Derrick , you contribute some shit that I used to level up and learn from but also keep a clean house around here and show a lot of love and care to folks here. Without the work you out in here I would've never found RTR or the slabs, even some of the travel jobs that sustain me still today I found because of directors you pointed me in. Grateful for you bro. Keep it up and I keep sending other traveler friends and people that wanna escape the rat race here. This community is like no other I've been apart of yet. 👌🏻💯🔥❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤
It's great to hear that you have had such a great experience here. It's kind of strange to me that the past 10-15 years of my life probably would have been the best time to get some traveling/adventure in. I say that only because as of this year I've decided to go back to school, got a car note, actually signed a lease etc. I've basically by most standards have domesticated myself more than ever before.

With that being said I've garnered the knowledge and wisdom to know how to organize my life better as well as manage my time. I know a lot of folks don't really like to travel with a schedule looming over them. I for some reason have grown into a very type-a personality. So I think and hope that all of this structure and organization will actually aid in my freedom and will to travel.

Reactions: 6StringLovin

6StringLovin

Reaction score
It's great to hear that you have had such a great experience here. It's kind of strange to me that the past 10-15 years of my life probably would have been the best time to get some traveling/adventure in. I say that only because as of this year I've decided to go back to school, got a car note, actually signed a lease etc. I've basically by most standards have domesticated myself more than ever before.

With that being said I've garnered the knowledge and wisdom to know how to organize my life better as well as manage my time. I know a lot of folks don't really like to travel with a schedule looming over them. I for some reason have grown into a very type-a personality. So I think and hope that all of this structure and organization will actually aid in my freedom and will to travel.
That's awesome! Unhappy form you making moves in life like that. Don't let that hold you back though, I learned how to do a travel circuit here that enabled me to work 6-8 months out of the year, make about 10k if I was frugal 7-8ish if I wasn't. Make that car note pay for itself. Remote classes are a thing now more than ever. Dig in to every forum, open every link, watch the vids, buy the book, ask all the questions, there are no dumb ones.. well, search the forum for the questions you have first cause there are repetitive questions lol but yeah, it's more than do able. Send me a PM if you're in the states and I'll out you on the circuit I was referring too. ✌🏻💚😀

Reactions: Jambalaya

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads