How useful is a camelbak? | Squat the Planet

How useful is a camelbak?

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Just got one for free off a buddy of mine its just a 1 liter.Toying with the idea of bringing it along as my pack has a spot for one on the outside.Just curious what to expect for how long it'll last and how often ill have to clean it.I figure if i keep it topped off i shouldn't have to do much cleaning.

Just curious as to what others think about these things.Figure it beats carrying a gallon jug all the damn time.But ill prolly end up still doing that.

Would leave my hands free which i like.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
I've got a 6L MSR dromedary water bag with the whatever drinking tube/hose accessory thing and it's pretty awesome. I put in the radio sleeve of my medium alice and run the tube out the top and it's never let me down in the 2 years I've had it. I clean it out once a week or so with hot soapy water and refill and am good to go again.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Worrd.This is just a 3L one.So it might be sufficient enough, seems to equal out to a little under a gallon.So thats pretty straight

Think ill carry it over a gallon jug and see how it goes.It'd be nice to not have to carry a gallon of water as usual and to be able to just have my hands free.

travelin

Reaction score
yes, take it. if you dont like it, ditch it.

though i think my hiking days may be over i always used one since they became available along with quart military canteens and two quart military collapsable bladder canteens. i always used the little pilots flask canteens also.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have one with a 3L bladder that was issued to me and I'm still using to this day.
Great piece of gear. X2 on the cleaning out with soapy hot water. I use an antibacterial dish soap.

MFB

Reaction score
Ive never liked them. They always seemed to get dirty and I never can quench my thirst sucking from that damn tube. The water gets hot quickly and tastes like condoms (or so Ive heard...from people that that know what condoms taste like...until there's a STD that burns your dick off I wont use them!)

But I digress...I know alot of people that swear by them though. I caribean a 320z Nalgeen to my pack and keep a 1L collapsable in my pack, filled if needed.

But year, like travelin said, take it, you can alway trade it for a few batteries or a candy bar or something.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Ive had one for a long ass time and alas i hate it and love it at the same time. mine is a 2 liter with backpack thingy camelbak. i like it for its ability to fold up even with the pack and be able to wear it under my backpack while hiking or wear it while my pack is stashed. but the damn thing leaks if i set my pack down and it squeezes the mouth piece on the end of the hose if the lock on the mouth piece isnt on. the inner lining of the hose is getting fucked up after a few years of use making it hard to draw water. and ive been through a couple mouth pieces. luckily u can get replacement pieces tho pricey. and u have to clean it to your preference u can get cleaning kits at walmart fuck soap i usually just use a bit of vinegar. its nice if you get one kicked down but i wouldnt go out and spend $30 on one.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads