How to scrap and strip copper for extra money? (1 Viewer)

Childgoddess

Current Location
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Has anybody ever tried SCRAPING COPPER? if so, where can you find it and how can you strip copper? I heard bare bright copper has the best price per pound. I'm in need of making extra money and im willing to do the hard work to do it.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

BradKajukenbo

Wayfarer
Current Location
Redding, California
Abandoned buildings is a place you can find the good copper. You find it in the Romex wiring. Its time consuming because you have to strip the wire to bare copper. You just have to find it before someone else does.

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
Abandoned buildings is a place you can find the good copper. You find it in the Romex wiring. Its time consuming because you have to strip the wire to bare copper. You just have to find it before someone else does.
If you have a lot there are strippers that are basically holes the size of the cables with razors thhat you can put reels on both sides of. I knew a guy who used to boost wire from construction sites and strip it down and sell for scrap.

BradKajukenbo

Wayfarer
Current Location
Redding, California
If you have a lot there are strippers that are basically holes the size of the cables with razors thhat you can put reels on both sides of. I knew a guy who used to boost wire from construction sites and strip it down and sell for scrap.
Wire strippers are the best way to go for sure if you have lots of wire to strip. The hassle is, around here, recycling centers wont take it unless you have valid ID, and the address of where you got the copper from. They then give you a printout and make you wait 5 days before you can come back and get your money. Same with car batteries and other scrap metals. During that 5 day wait, the centers are making sure that no copper or scrap is reported stolen. Most construction sites around here will let you take all the scrap wire they have. Its less that they have to clean up.

LEAN

Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
New Jersey
I would say a better way is to hit those construction sites and ask for any work they will offer you.
The copper game has been passed around so much that people already have places cased out with teams that run through and take it all. Also you gotta go through the trouble of dealing with the guys at the recycle place, you need ID and they view you as a thief...

EDIT: LOL brad i was typing that the same time you did

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
I would say a better way is to hit those construction sites and ask for any work they will offer you.
The copper game has been passed around so much that people already have places cased out with teams that run through and take it all. Also you gotta go through the trouble of dealing with the guys at the recycle place, you need ID and they view you as a thief...

EDIT: LOL brad i was typing that the same time you did
This was all like 03-07 when i saw him doing this. He was a crackhead and probably slid a pebble or two to the guy paying him if they needed id, or it was before those laws

Undercity

Lurker
Current Location
Wisconsin
Please, don't do this. As an urban explorer the urbex community (which has some overlap with vagabond culture) abhors scrappers because they destroy the beautiful places we like to explore and ruin them for everybody else. Think of it like trashing a jungle for personal gain in terms of how it's seen on the urbex side of things.

If the moral argument doesn't sway you, scrapping draws attention to abandoned buildings, causing potential squats to be sealed. It also is considered felony burglary, which is a lot more severe than trespassing. Lastly, most recycling plants won't take copper from unidentified sources because they know about scrapping.

roguetrader

Wanderer
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
I do scrap metal all the time and doing it without a vehicle is a serious pain in the ass - both scavenging for metal and taking it to the yard to get paid generally involves a lot of miles covered... I suppose you could do bright copper wire on foot but you still need tens of kilos to get serious money - currently bright wire is at it's maximum price £5 a kilo in England - that works out at $8 Canadian - (obviously I don't know the actual Canadian price, that's just a guess!)

also a vehicle is needed to keep your metal out of sight / safe etc - where are you gonna keep it while your accumulating enough to get a decent pay out ? and stripping big reels of cable takes fucking ages, especially when you're not used to doing it - one tip for anyone cleaning any scrap - wear decent gloves otherwise your hands get cut constantly

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Winnemucca, NV
Has anybody ever tried SCRAPING COPPER? if so, where can you find it and how can you strip copper? I heard bare bright copper has the best price per pound. I'm in need of making extra money and im willing to do the hard work to do it.
I have scrapped tons and tons of metal. Ferrous, non-ferrous, machinery, engines, cars, trucks, otherwise. There’s is really no $ in this, scrap metal prices are so low it sucks. Not to mention if your non-ferrous materials aren’t 100% you won’t get full value. I do it just to recycle leftover shit from my jobs.

But if your going to do it just get as much copper wire as you can possibly find, make a big pile, and light it on fire. All the insulation will burn off if you get the fire hot enough.

train in vain

Rambler
Current Location
Out there
Without a car scrapping is pretty tough. You say youre willing to do hard work but im skeptical.
Any scrap yard is gonna give you a hard time if you show up with a bunch of copper. And really the only way for an average person to come up on enough copper worth bringing there is probably up to no good haha. Scrapping abandonned shit is fine in my book though. Thats pretty much your options. 1. Steal it(not recomended)
2. Abandonned buildings...still technically stealing it but way less risky unless the building still has power. Getting electrocuted IS FUCKING TERRIBLE. Been there done that. But also wire isnt necessarily the only copper in a building. Plumbing. Ceiling fan motors(any motor). Old tvs. Microwaves.
Ive was recently thinking of canning again but the fuckin work involved is hardly worth the tiny amount money you get.
All the info youd ever need is online. There are youtube videos on how to make diy wire strippers that work great.

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
Without a car scrapping is pretty tough. You say youre willing to do hard work but im skeptical.
Any scrap yard is gonna give you a hard time if you show up with a bunch of copper. And really the only way for an average person to come up on enough copper worth bringing there is probably up to no good haha. Scrapping abandonned shit is fine in my book though. Thats pretty much your options. 1. Steal it(not recomended)
2. Abandonned buildings...still technically stealing it but way less risky unless the building still has power. Getting electrocuted IS FUCKING TERRIBLE. Been there done that. But also wire isnt necessarily the only copper in a building. Plumbing. Ceiling fan motors(any motor). Old tvs. Microwaves.
Ive was recently thinking of canning again but the fuckin work involved is hardly worth the tiny amount money you get.
All the info youd ever need is online. There are youtube videos on how to make diy wire strippers that work great.
Elevator motor windings. I saw a scrap crew tearing out an elevator motor back in the day. It looked like several hundred pounds of copper per motor, the building we were on had 6 in shacks the roof. Def wasnt an easy grab though.

train in vain

Rambler
Current Location
Out there
Elevator motor windings. I saw a scrap crew tearing out an elevator motor back in the day. It looked like several hundred pounds of copper per motor, the building we were on had 6 in shacks the roof. Def wasnt an easy grab though.
Oh man..i know an abandoned building with an elevator in it!

Current Location
Michigan, United States
Here is an entertaining, cautionary tale about scrapping in Detroit after the financial crash. I didn’t write this but met the author before he passed away.

There are much easier and safer ways to make money imo.

Jackthereaper

Rambler
Current Location
Earth
Here is an entertaining, cautionary tale about scrapping in Detroit after the financial crash. I didn’t write this but met the author before he passed away.

Damn, dude smacked an ammonia pipe? Shit will take your eyes fast. My dad used to work for a guy who went blind from ammonia when he was working on an old school azo dye blueprint machine.

Never break apart refrigeration setups unless you know damned well the compressors have shit the bed and leaked out all the gas. Hell if you feel the need to scrap that shit, grab a quick test guage, all large refrigeration systems have test ports.

He was real unlucky it was an ammonia reefer unit, but way lucky he didnt actually lose his eyes from the extremely strong base.

LEAN

Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
New Jersey
I just read a bunch of that guys blog posts, some CRAZY stories about the Detroit drug life. I can only imagine what it would be like to live there and even then I don't think its bad enough...

Barf

Current Location
NW Montana

Hheeyy.

I remember that guy. He was also a member of opiophile back in the day.

Bring me back. Doo doo doo do.

In the fall of '09 I moved to Philadelphia with my woman.

It was a welcome culture shock.

I lived right next to the Drexel sports fields and the high rise housing projects. That area is a pleasant mix of urban decay and college kids.

There were some burnt out row homes I used to crawl into, get high, and feel ways about stuff.

Be careful comrades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Turns out, @Rhubarb Dwyer is even more handsome in person.
Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back

Members online