How to pick good campsites?

A

AlwaysLost

I have gotten almost everything ready to go. As soon as my performance art is ready it will be time to blow this Popsicle stand.

The thing i suck most at bumming around is finding a good place to camp, I always pick the buggiest, swampiest most miserable places.

So I was hoping some of you veterans could give this noob some tips on finding good places to camp in new places? Thanks.

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Best thing to remember, whether rural/backwoods camping or Urban stealth camping is:

Out of of sight, out of mind.

Look for places that most people would pass by without thinking or looking twice about.

In the past, I've had success with sleeping on top of single story buildings, in the grassy areas near freeways, and behind small strip malls.

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Best advice I could think of is, when possible, scope out your campsite during the daytime. So many times early on I would wait till darkish dusk to find a spot. And in the lowlights it seemed outta sight, but come daylight I'd realize people can clearly see me. Usually joggers or a startled homeowner or business owner. Little bit of planning can go a long way on the road.

D

Deleted member 2626

I typically take side roads walking and hitching and am typically in rural areas. I often go out of the way just to set up my tent. Elevated, flat as possible. It's not too difficult but all depends on your shelter. This early spring on a hitch to my place I set up behind some bushes at a McDonald's, tent and all, houses all around, said fuck it. Heard people ordering their food before I slept. I've actually never been awoken while stealthing it. But as I said I always look for the wooded nooks. I'm finding people notice so much less shit nowadays, maybe due to technology, so a light colored tent isn't that obvious it seems.

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
Freecampsites.net is a cool site. If you're in the area where there's a free one you have an easy place to sleep where u don't exactly have to lay low and you're not paying for anything. Just make sure the campsite is legit .

• Useful
Reactions: Lob

JamesPrice94

Reaction score
You get better at finding spots once ya start doing it a few times. I use to suck now I tend to always find decent spots. One of my first times out hitchhiking rolled into a new town and it was already dark just ended up sleeping under a tree in a park (no tent just with blanket). Anyways, got woken you at 2am with a light in my face. Wasn't cops tho just concerned parents who were looking for their kids who were out apperently high on drugs. I enjoy sleeping in community gardens lol. They usually have a gazebo of some sort if it rains. I'll do a bit of weeding for fols sometimes. Often get offered some fruit or veg aha

D

Deleted member 2626

I agree you start doing it and it becomes easier and you become more comfortable. I like, as I said, wooded areas. No one is gonna sneak up on me or my dog with brush or leaves surrounding and sticks that make noise.

AaronOnTheRoad

Reaction score
I Always wake up with the birds and get out before sunup. My stealth hasn't been very good this summer though.
I've had sun burn last two days, so I made sure I found a spot that the sun didn't hit me. The other night in Indy I slept right out in the open to public was so sleepy

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I Always up wake up with the birds and get out before sunup. My stealth hasn't been very good this summer though.

my stealth... get drunk...then//// know and fear without panic that I have to get up early before sunrise... and get up.... so fare I have been on time or withing four minutes.

Reactions: outskirts

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I can sometimes even locate homebum camps with the satellite images on google maps.
That's a great tactic for finding campsites, I also like to cross reference the satellite imagry with the terrain map. I also go one step further and use the street view option. Sometimes their shit is not up to date, but still worth utilizing. I'm a map nerd so I'm often eye fucking some map and nearly memorizing it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads