How to make better money for hotel room with panhandling, odd jobs, stealing, etc???

Current Location
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Hello there,

thanks if your reading this post, as im really roughing it. Me and my partner currently got locked out, all because we haven't been able to pay "rent" and my bf had a few drinks, our government cheques havent come in, the people we stay with think we spent it foolishly, but that isn't the case. We been trying all means to make extra money, i posted a odd job for shoveling snow, he flys a sign that says " traveling, anything helps, god bless" but he barely makes enough, we try to make enough for a hotel room, plus we have to get/buy other things, we sometimes stay at the shelter house, but I hate being away from him, and his friends are bad influences on him there, try to get him to smoke crack, etc, do runs, etc. Im wondering of some creative more profitable "slogans" to use for panhandling, i was thinking of panhandling too, even thou im shy and rather do odd jobs, but it seems hard to find any in the winter time. I was thinking of using " Too proud to prostitute, too honest to steal, anything helps or may you please spare some change? does sound like that is profiable to make enough money for a hotel or hostel room. There go for $22 each person, or its $50 for the cheapest hotel room , to make things easier, we both want to panhandle for like 2-3 hours, try to make about $25 each, and then go halfers on a room? or we want to ask a aquitance of us if we could stay for $20 a night untill we find a bachelor unit in my hometown or head back to his rez up north, but yeah wondering if anybody could give me some pointers, advice, tips on making money for a hotel room thru odd jobs, panhandling, boosting, etc.

Current Location
Roads n rails
Website
www.instagram.com
A combo idea is flying a sign that you will work. Most people will just give u money rather than actually giving u work but hopefully someone will.
People on here have posted about going to churches and asking if anyone there needs any work done since they'd be more likely to wanna help. Though, idk how religious Canada is?
Finding a way to get a tent n warm gear would save u hella money on hotel rooms and that's what I'd do personally. Hotels every night is waste of money. I just looked up the weather there and it ain't even that cold out.
U could fly a sign specifically asking for warm gear/a tent and maybe someone would even offer up their garage or a room or something knowing that you're trying to sleep outside.

Qtravels

StP Supporter
Current Location
Toronto, Ontario
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello there,

thanks if your reading this post, as im really roughing it. Me and my partner currently got locked out, all because we haven't been able to pay "rent" and my bf had a few drinks, our government cheques havent come in, the people we stay with think we spent it foolishly, but that isn't the case. We been trying all means to make extra money, i posted a odd job for shoveling snow, he flys a sign that says " traveling, anything helps, god bless" but he barely makes enough, we try to make enough for a hotel room, plus we have to get/buy other things, we sometimes stay at the shelter house, but I hate being away from him, and his friends are bad influences on him there, try to get him to smoke crack, etc, do runs, etc. Im wondering of some creative more profitable "slogans" to use for panhandling, i was thinking of panhandling too, even thou im shy and rather do odd jobs, but it seems hard to find any in the winter time. I was thinking of using " Too proud to prostitute, too honest to steal, anything helps or may you please spare some change? does sound like that is profiable to make enough money for a hotel or hostel room. There go for $22 each person, or its $50 for the cheapest hotel room , to make things easier, we both want to panhandle for like 2-3 hours, try to make about $25 each, and then go halfers on a room? or we want to ask a aquitance of us if we could stay for $20 a night untill we find a bachelor unit in my hometown or head back to his rez up north, but yeah wondering if anybody could give me some pointers, advice, tips on making money for a hotel room thru odd jobs, panhandling, boosting, etc.
LOTTA jobs down here in Toronto

Current Location
Washington, DC
IDK about Canada, but a lot of US libraries will help you print resumes for free. If you can't get something printed, TAKE some paper from a copier. Put your contact info on it along with your skills. Then make your sign:

Resumes $5

Current Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Website
www.youtube.com
Have you tried a temporary employment service?

I know People Ready (use to be Labor Ready, I use to work for them) is in Canada. they don't pay the greatest but hey, it's money!

In the near future before I hit the road I will apply with them when I need extra cash to get by. They are all over the USA & Canada.

There should be some type of employment temp service in Thunder Bay, have you explored that?

May I add, any fast-food places you could work at like McDonalds, etc?

Last edited:
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Well, it really depends on your location, the laws there, how the mood of the people is ... dunno.

When it comes to flying a sign ... if I did that (which I did rarely cause begging is illegal in UK where I spent most of the time but sometimes I did like Friday/Saturday night) I always used a funny sign. Like "Allergic to water, need beer!!!" with a few smilies. People liked that.

A female friend of mine and her partner often successfully flew a sign "Too honest to steal, too ugly to prostitute". Well, both was not true haha but it was a funny sign. You see the difference to your idea ... you spoke about "too proud" and they put in "too ugly" and lots of smileys on it. People were giggling as they walked by and not only a few gave some coins. Not a perfect sign for flying at noon in a shopping street, more for like in the evening nearby pubs.

Also saw people with "Need parts to repair my spaceship, this planet sucks." or alike.

Long story short: I always liked funny signs.

Also perhaps sit with your partner. Some people would not give money to a "lazy bloke who should get a fuckin job" but perhaps to a homeless couple in winter.

I also never made up a sob story (not saying you do, I know your situation is bad) or complained. If someone approached me with "How are you?" I was always like "Hi! Yeah, I'm fine, how are you?" and smiled. If people asked me "Are you homeless" I answered "No, I'm travelling - low budget obviously - coming from Germany to see friends and enjoy my time here" or alike. The truth. Got money anyway.

Also ... $22 per bed in a hostel? Really? In England sometimes I got a bed in a dorm room (as I was still backpacking) for like 8 Pounds. Prices varied from day to day, though, on the weekends it was more expensive.

When it comes hard to hard, just approach people and ask. I would do that as last resort only. Not my style. And it can be risky, depending on the laws where you are. If you do, be very nice, polite. Don't ask everyone. Look for people who are in a good mood, perhaps standing together after coming from a dinner or pub. Apologize for disturbing and ask if you can ask a quick question. Then explain your situation shortly. And if people say "no" stay polite and friendly and wish them a nice evening anyway.

I never did that on my own, but a friend of mine is really good at it. Made like €30 in an hour or more sometimes even in Germany speaking English only.

Just my 2 cents ...

Jackthereaper

Rambler
StP Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Not 100% on topic, but this might help.

Back when i was houseless in ann arbor i found a small locally owned motel that was typically 90% empty at least. When i got a room one night i impressioned the key in modeling clay and then hand cut a copy after ordering a blank online. I would put on a jimmy johns hat and shirt i had and ride my bike by around 10pm (after the manager left) and see if anyone was in “my” room then i would come back 30 mins later and let myself in till 5:30 am. This worked so well i eventually copied 3 more keys and slept there near nightly while i finished my bachelors. I also cracked a few squats near downtown which were clutch when the motel was full.

And worse case scenario i would sleep in either one of the secret stairwells in harlan hatcher library or on the floor at the duderstadt center.

Just look around for open spots, and try to quietly take them over in any way possible.

Last edited:
Current Location
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Not 100% on topic, but this might help.

Back when i was houseless in ann arbor i found a small locally owned motel that was typically 90% empty at least. When i got a room one night i impressioned the key in modeling clay and then hand cut a copy after ordering a blank online. I would put on a jimmy johns hat and shirt i had and ride my bike by around 10pm (after the manager left) and see if anyone was in “my” room then i would come back 30 mins later and let myself in till 5:30 am. This worked so well i eventually copied 3 more keys and slept there near nightly while i finished my bachelors. I also cracked a few squats near downtown which were clutch when the motel was full.

And worse case scenario i would sleep in either one of the secret stairwells in harlan hatcher library or on the floor at the duderstadt center.

Just look around for open spots, and try to quietly take them over in any way possible.

thats pretty awesome! i wish i could find something like that..