Video How to Live On A Sailboat and Travel the World (1 Viewer)

trickdaley

Wanderer
Website
www.truetransient.com
I recently met a couple who had just embarked on becoming full time "liveaboards." I joined them for a few days on their sailboat. Here is some insight on how to take the steps to this lifestyle from their perspective.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Durp

Hobo
They seem like nice people. I bet it would be fun to hang out with those folks. I disagree with the getting lessons bit tho, you can buy a small boat for less then lessons will set you back, and unless you have sailing experience you have no idea what the correct boat for your needs will be until you live on one for a while. I think if you are a beginner, you are better off buying a small livable boat for less then $3k, 26 ft or less, living on it for a year or so, and learn to sail. A boat this size is going to be easy to manhandle if you mess up, and will be a lot more forgiving of mistakes for a newb. Just over insure it, so if you sink it some how you will make out good. (I am still yet to meet someone who sunk a boat for anything other then self admitted blatant stupidity/ alcohol.) The advantage of doing it this way is you learn how to fix things yourself since they are small and manageable, and every boat is a project regardless how much you buy it for. I promise you your first boat is very different thing from your ideal boat, and these lessons can only be learned through hard experience, or really fat wallets to compensate for mistakes. Spending a lot of time on the water and on boats will teach you everything you need to know, so your second boat (actual ideal boat) will be worlds different then what you imagined the past year. Plus you will realize the boat market is way over inflated, and a craft is usually worth about half of what the owner is trying to sell it for. If you get to really know boats it will save you a lot of headache and money when you buy your second boat. (bigger and more expensive) Do not get caught in the "Need a bigger boat" trap. One of the lessons time on a boat will teach you is that you truly want the smallest boat you can get away with. As the boat gets bigger, in a linear model, the cost of ownership and maintenance goes up by a multiple of 4. Anything over 30ftish (give or take a bit) starts to run into real money. The cost of rigging for a 30 ft boat vs a 35 ft boat is a separation of thousands of dollars, so it is no joke. Even bottom paint will cost you almost twice as much on a 35 ft boat vs a 30 ft boat. Just beware of this. Of course there is a thousand ways to skin a cat, and this is just my opinion.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
i'm curious why you decided to disable embedding in other websites? that can seriously hurt the amount of views you get on the video...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$115.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $115.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.