How to get motel room with no visa or credit card? i only got a health card? (1 Viewer)

Childgoddess

Current Location
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Sorry if this post is in the wrong thread, wondering thou for your people's insights and advice, this site has helped out a lot :)

I'm thinking of doing some odd jobs and panhanding today for a hostel room for me and my bf, or a cheap hotel room, need btw $38-55 bucks, the shelter house isn't a option for me, plus I cant be beside my partner, whom I feel safe with on the street, haven't found success with housing, either thou im on the housing list in my home town, anyways, sleeping outside isn't a option either cuz I don't have the right gear and fuck its freezing outside now, with the windshield, its almost -40 out there, so fuck that.

what is the best way to get a hotel/motel without a visa or credit card? and what should I specifically say to the hotel manager so they will rent a hotel room to just 1 person, even thou im gonna sneak my partner in afterwards to spend the night, to save on cash.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

noothgrush

Pilgrim
Current Location
Seward, Alaska
It would be hard to sneak an extra person into a hostel but in regular motels I do it all the time. And I don't know about Canada but in America plenty of hotels still take cash.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Utah
Website
www.youtube.com
Some hotels will not rent you a room without a card of some kind as insurance for possible damages.

You have to find local, cheap, motels. They will take cash, and usually will require an extra like $50 deposit as insurance, you get it back when you check out.

This is especially true if you LOOK houseless, which is discriminatory as fuck, but that is the world we live in.

Reactions: 4 people

drode

Current Location
Yes,
Motel 6 still takes cash. Not having an Id is where you run into problems.

Glass Roads

Lurker
Current Location
Pullman, WA
You may be able to get a walmart prepaid debit card, and book a cheap airbnb if you have a smart phone. It doesn't look like they require ID on their website, but I have never done it before. Maybe someone who has booked one could chime in on that.

Reactions: 2 people

Benji91

Gone Walkabout
StP Supporter
Current Location
Redcliffe, Qld
Website
www.faceboook.com
Worked at a hotel in BC for a spell. Boss accepted cash but required a cash deposit but down as well. Found a few cheap motels in 'murica that had a similar thing.

Good luck mate.

OP
Childgoddess

Childgoddess

Current Location
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Some hotels will not rent you a room without a card of some kind as insurance for possible damages.

You have to find local, cheap, motels. They will take cash, and usually will require an extra like $50 deposit as insurance, you get it back when you check out.

This is especially true if you LOOK houseless, which is discriminatory as fuck, but that is the world we live in.

yeah my partners cousin had to pay a extra $40 deposit on a room, that was already like $70 bucks, but he got it back the next day.

BusGypsy

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Away
FRONT DESK STAFF here....
At my hotel, and at least most hotels in the downtown area...
check in requires
valid photo ID
credit card WITH YOUR NAME ON IT
we're told no prepaids because the card can authorize for the room upon check in, but if the guest pulls the money before checkout, the hotel won't be able to charge at check out and so the hotel doesn't recieve payment.
We're given total discretion on whether or not to accept cash. if we do, we require full amount plus a $250 cash deposit to cover any damage. We can decide whether or not to accept cash. Matter of fact, we're allowed to say we're sold out, your card declined, or we don't accept cash, whenever we want, per our discretion. So, if you walk in and I'm pretty sure you're gonna be trouble, I can simply say we're sold out.
I KNOW, TOTALLY SUCKS, totally unfair. But since we're held somewhat responsible for the actions and messes of guests we choose to check in, one has to use discretion. People leave bedbugs, steal TVS, deal drugs, solicit from their room, beg from fellow guests or just don't understand discretion enough to not creep out fellow guests.
We literally have guests complain to corporate and write negative online reviews because we'll have homeless or sketchy looking people staying. then it comes back to us, "Why did you rent to him?" and then housekeeping wants to kill you to because of the messes a lot of certain types of people in my experience tend to leave.

Walk in and get a room. Ive never had an issue anywhere. Is that even a thing?
Certainly is here in downtown because of the significant tweaker infestation and we tend to have a lot of crime here.

Yea same. I've never had a issue paying cash for a room. Especially a cheap 35 dollar one.
True, Motels are pretty chill about it, but look out for bedbugs especially in those kind of places!

This is especially true if you LOOK homeless, which is discriminatory as fuck, but that is the world we live in.
WORD. Generally my colleages won't rent to homeless because 1) they're afraid of bedbugs or room damage, or leaving a smell 2) will they be percieved as a nuisense to other guests who could complain?
It sucks, I know. But most tourists see homeless people, they're on vacation, and they just say 'eeew' and begin to doubt the cleanliness of the hotel.

You may be able to get a walmart prepaid debit card, and book a cheap airbnb if you have a smart phone. It doesn't look like they require ID on their website, but I have never done it before. Maybe someone who has booked one could chime in on that.
More and more places are avoiding prepaid cards for the reasons I listed above. They're seen sketch AF. Like, why don't you have a bank card?

And disclaimer; I know, this all sucks, not advocating, just giving insight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$540.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $200.00 of $200.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

VampireFreaks.com is closing it's website on Fed 1st 2020, after 20 years of being the home for "alternative" social networking. They will continue the con and the online store, but the site and forum will be laid to rest.
Love my bike polo family: keep my ass grounded and in a healthy mental status!
Grilled Mental anguish over lack of will to do what need done. Served bland on a bed of fuck yourself over... self destruction recipes like momma used to make!
Meditated in the woods today. Decided to start doing this weekly while I continue to research and buy camping gear, so that I can get used to being actually in the forest, which carries with it varying temperatures and so many God damn bugs.
It's always nice to see fireflies again..
Feelin' dat circus magic yo
Just saw a bunch of church kids run across the street screaming JAY WALKIN FOR JESUS
Separating , what I need and what the Gods And Goddesses will soon bless me with ... HER magic ....
ibuzzard wrote on quad8's profile.
Really hope you aren’t posting some anti-semitic B.S.?
[short Hail Mary re-write I did]
Come and get me, mate
If you motherfuckers want quad 8
If Stobe was still drinking booze, he would never ride with Jew
Na na-na-na na-na-na-na

Get off that 8
'Cuz it's time to set your punk-ass straight
It's STP here now, steve-0 got it down and locked
la la-la-la la-la-la-locked

"Now I return to my regular self, and have fun again!" :)