Share your wilderness camp pics, won't you?

RobHASboots

Reaction score
whoa-ho!
so, you take pride in making comfortable n stealthy lil camps in the bush?
WELL DONE! show off your handywork. inspire others. share tips.
-fire-ring?
-logs to sit on?
-beach front?
-multiple tents? ...*many hands make light work
(after all, why shouldn't you be proud? you worked hard to clear all those stinging nettles!)

Last edited:

kerouac

Reaction score
18872207942_97f926b4be_z.jpg

this was the first shelter i built. super basic, as you can see. just a simple a-frame and a few tarps. lots of wild herbs around for tea and trout & whitefish in the river. i guess it wouldn't be liveable for an extended period of time but it was a perfect getaway

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Interesting thread - I'm looking forward to what you get in here. :) Although some people done't have an accessible wifi or electric or phone etc etc, you might get some people on here -- and there is always an McDonald's for wifi for pics and that's cool! Nice thread idea :)

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Those are beautiful!
I was bored one day so I looked for ''forestry jobs''....found a slot with the SCA Student Conservation Association...they sent me to the Monongahela, a 2 hour train ride west of DC. :) That part of WV is pretty darn isolated...beautiful. :).....Not the friendliest part of the country. But I did find the Greenbrier Hotel and bunker there.

Bennington is just cool any way ya look at it. Green Mountains; good public trans. ...Cool people. That was in the Fall, on the Long Trail.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Not friendly?

That's disappointing. If I want unfriendly, I'll just stay where I am.

But thanks for the heads up.

Whenever I start my journey, it'll help to know what places to avoid.

Reactions: Mankini

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've never experienced anything like that before. I got family in Iowa...Iowans may be a little grumpy but theyre reasonably nice...Hotdarnit even Texans are nice....WV is just an odd part of the country....However other West Virginians from other parts of the state were nice. They're kind of reserved in a way I'm not used to.

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Coming from hillbilly stock the way I do, I'm used to people being odd and reserved (doesn't mean I like it...it just doesn't surprise me. I can't do the whole, suspicious-go-to-the-door-with a shot gun thing...it's creepy) but unfriendly I just can't stand.

I'm not interested in anyone unfriendly. There's just no need in it. Only be unfriendly when/if someone's an asshole.

I can't grasp the whole, "suspect everyone and keep your guard up."

Reactions: Mankini

lone wolf

Reaction score
nothing extravagant, just a place to stay dry.

088_zps7mrc0sv0.jpg

woke up to these 2 fury critters today. I couldn't get a good pic from inside the tent, was surprised they stuck around after I poked my head outside.

073_zpsbrofedjd.jpg

the one on the lower branch took a little more cover when I crawled out to get a bit closer.

085_zpsxwkea0dj.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads