How old were you when you started traveling | Squat the Planet

How old were you when you started traveling

K

kokomojoe

I thought there was a thread about this but couldn't find it. Just curious to know how old everyone was when they started heading out on their own.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I left home on my first big hitching solo trip at 19, which was also the first year I caught my first freight over any real distance..no turning back after that.

DoctorApocalypse

Your friendly neighborhood supervillain
Reaction score
My step dad died when I was 15 and my mom went psycho, so I left ended up nyc and didn't look back until I was 19. Didn't start riding trains though until a few years ago.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
just before my 19th birthday, hitched from eugene all the way down to sacramento where i caught my first train up to klamath falls.

R

Roosterruler

First time I said good-bye to my mom and dad was when I was 16 years old. I left for 11 months (on good terms). I wouldn't say I was alone ever - but that was when I learned to create a support network for myself no matter where I go, no matter what language. After that, I started to crave having the rug pulled out from under my feet and continue to do what I can to keep things shaken up.

IMG_4554.jpg

Age 16 :: I used to take embarrassing selfies with dictionaries...

Didn't hitchhike, though, until I was 20. Used that as my main form of transportation for a while along with riding the ferry.

Although, I did just settle down for the winter in Alaska because my friend had a baby and I pretty much want to just snuggle that kid as much as possible...

IMG_1706.jpg

Last edited:
D

Desert

My first trip was soon after I turned 19. I hitched from Nashville to OKC and back. I was gone for 8 days, I slept under bridges, behind bushes, and even on top of a McDonalds. The roads been calling me ever since.

Mongo

Reaction score
The first time I left my town I was 18 quit my shitty job and left for NYC August Summer of 2006. lived at a hostel in Harlem and was basically a dreamland back then. Being able to buy forties 2 bucks out the door (went back just a couple years ago and it seems like everythings gotten ridiculously overpriced). Went to The Tompkins Square Riot Fest with Rabia, Death MOld, Planned Collapse, Witchhunt, Leftover crack. I didn't start hitchhiking until I was 20

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
my parents took me out of high school at the age 15 and put me in a van and drove me from vero beach florida to Olympia Washington. we lived in a hotel for a few weeks and they just wouldn't put me in school. I begged them to put me in school then just said fuck it and left. jansport backpack and all haha. found a cute boy with a guitar and almost 6 years later just had that same cute boys baby. crappy parents for the fuck yea

• Sad
Reactions: Mongo

Mongo

Reaction score
my parents took me out of high school at the age 15 and put me in a van and drove me from vero beach florida to Olympia Washington. we lived in a hotel for a few weeks and they just wouldn't put me in school. I begged them to put me in school then just said fuck it and left. jansport backpack and all haha. found a cute boy with a guitar and almost 6 years later just had that same cute boys baby. crappy parents for the fuck yea

so did you start traveling in search of a sense of normalcy.

do you have an idea of why your parents did that, was it like a midlife crisis or what?

There are just so many details I'd like to know.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
so did you start traveling in search of a sense of normalcy.

do you have an idea of why your parents did that, was it like a midlife crisis or what?

There are just so many details I'd like to know.
might be midlife crisis. my dad just stopped wanting to work and live in the same place one day. I left because I was 15 and wanted friends and they just would not put my ass in school.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads