How many of you were/are scared as hell? | Squat the Planet

How many of you were/are scared as hell?

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Ive traveled before but with a friend each time to other countries(Mainly central and south america, the whole hostel thing) Now im contemplating leaving NYC tommorow with no money at all, a straight route to florida and the scared as all fuckin hell. I am almost 24 years old, im very social and never had anxiety, i have my whole damn face covered in tattoos for god sakes but this...this scares the fuckin shit out of me.... i have a comfortable life but i want more.... who has experienced this and pushed through it and it was actually WAY worth it?

Im giving up financially security, my home, my dog(he cant go for a multitude of reasons), cell phone and well... you can call me a pussy but im bound to be nervous, leaving for good is a big step. Please share your experiences or tips on easing this. thank you:)

K

Kim Chee

stepping off that ledge is not only one of the more scary things I've done, but it is also one of the most liberating things I've done. Had I known before what I know now I would have done it long ago. Enjoy the thrill!

Everymanalion

Reaction score
I mean i can always come back to this. But still, i know when i leave i wont want too, its my 24 birthday soon and i feel im getting older and i want to start already, i just need encouragment from fellow "fuck ups" ;)

Reactions: akindlyone

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
i'm about to go out on my own for the first time in a few months -- i was traveling with a crew of two to three others last fall and then we all went back to the city we started out at and i went back to my hometown a month after that. in the time since i've been home i've been just getting a bunch of gear kicked down and waiting for spring to come. it's still a month or two before i'm going to leave, but i don't feel too worried about it right now (tho that may just be because it's not that close to my leaving-date yet). it's like going out with a crew was a trial run for doing it on my own in the future.

when i went out the first time, i was scared, but not too scared. i was at a point where i didn't really have much else to lose, so i was excited; what i was afraid of, was going through trainyards -- i had -- and still have -- no desire to get caught by a rail cop. or like the time when, having been on the road for only about three weeks, one day all my crew went in separate directions and disappeared (one of them with my cell phone!) for about twenty-four hours and i thought i'd been ditched in the lower east side in manhattan.

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Shit that is scary, i dont have much to lose either compared to other people but for me, this is the most ive had in my entire life. I grew up in liberal ass portland OR and moving to NYC has made me so materialistic and lazy its just horrid

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
it's weird -- when i was out on the road, getting ditched by my buddies seemed like the scariest thing, but now i'm excited about the prospect of going out on my own. the thing that scares me most now is boredom -- waiting for trains and other rides can be boring as hell with no one to entertain you!

Everymanalion

Reaction score
I guess im not so much afraid of things i should be, like getting rolled, or caught by the cops or any of that but i know when i leave, its for good.

freedude2012

Reaction score
well here soon im headed out into the open world for the first and last time ( the hell with the robot world and its dam programmers ) aswell and beleave me im scared shitless as well and ive basicly been sent into hell with shoe string to use to escape and there are things im worried bought and things i should be and things im not at all. but from past life experiances ive learned to make a plan and use it as a guide line (i.e. places you want to drop into or ppl you may want to stop and see/meet, ect..), jump the hurtals as they come, and to sit back and enjoy the ride as much as you can and find ways around, over, and through therough parts. you jus have to remember good points and learn form the bad ones.

so i say do like im doing get some advice, load your pack with the essentials for survial and jump out both feet and hit the ground runnin.

the reason im sayin this is-is like i said thats how im gonna do it, because im vary proud to say that i KNOW 4 SURE that im gonna meet great ppl and make even better friends along the way. so let the river of life flow because im headed on a neverending journey and im the good, the bad, the ups and downs, whips the whirls because READY OR NOT WORLD HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLoP

Reaction score
I went from NYC to Daytona beach fl this time last year. I luckily got a ride share from Craig's list for the whole trip down. I was solo. Hiked 20 miles with a hard cased banjo and a dog to go to Ocala. Then I ran into kids and had a good week. Then back on my own....with the dog. Hopped from jax to Florence sc and then to hamlet, Then got on the wrong Train that then stopped and disconnected at midnight in the middle of nowhere and wound up back in Florence. Then got a hitch all the way back up to jersey from a gay trucker. I was by myself for the whole trip and it did get sketchy at times. But I found that if you enjoy the scare and push yourself as hard as you can, then you can have more fun. It sucks being alone, depressing as hell. But just have fun. Why else are you going out for ya know

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
I got to Bump this thread a little:
I'm also thinking of leaving town, I been stuck on the same bullshit for years, I've been trough 13 jobs in 3 years, because florida is the temporary assignment capital of the world, I spent a few weeks away from town squatting with the occupy movement. I tought me that life only requires essentials, that squatting is not difficult, and the most difficult thing to come by is a shower. I felt liberated, i figured, if I can make it a few weeks, I can make it for longer. I need a cheap way of transportation, train Hopping came to mind.

My mind is a whirpool of ideas now, I successfully rode a Intermodal for 5 miles, then it stopped for god knows what reason, decided to bail out. I havent got the nerve to do it again, but when this temporary job I have now bust, I'm gone.

JoelRailDude

Reaction score
I second that. an Iphone can be used anywhere there is WI-fi, also a camera, ( nice pictures and video) and allready programmed to upload them. you can download Cached maps and use GPS. look up trainyard directions, services etc. Even then you can downgrade to a phone only plan, same price as a flip phone, no?

Kphoenix

Reaction score
Everyone gets scared/nervous when they leave. You are separating yourself from the tit. learning how to fly, etc. once u jump youll be good. i got rid of everything except for a couple pairs of clothes, some misc items and a sleeping bag and ive done great. theres always phones and computers around somewhere that someone will let you use if you really need it. plus i personally feel that not being up to date on whats happening in the matrix everyday makes the experience way more fulfilling. dont be scared man, that nervousness will soon change into zealousness. good luck dude.

Reactions: ipoPua

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Naw i actually had to take care of some legal BS before i leave so i have to wait until december, damn probation but its not that long:/ thanks for all the advice guys!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads