How long will this last?

Current Location
Modesto CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
So I plan on leaving in June for my first travel adventure. I'm going to hitch the country and see as much as possible and try and stay on communes and see alternative ways of living because I am sick of the materialism, greed, and fear in the world. My question is, I have $500 set aside solely for food. I plan on dumpster diving and trying to,make it last as long as possible but for you experienced travellers how long do you think I could make that stretch? I don't like taking free things and know I need to earn what I get in life. Thank you very much and peace and love to all!!

Matt Derrick

StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
hmm... i think you could make that stretch quite far if you don't have habits like smoking, drinking, drugs, etc... i mean if you're hard core about it, you could make that last like 3-4 months? even farther if you got on food stamps (thus eliminating most of your food costs).

fig

Wanderer
Current Location
Buffalo, NY
Reactions
98% 2% 0%
depends, do you intend to hold up any banks or convenience stores? if you're going to be doing things like WWOOF and other work exchanges, diving, shoplifting? then 500 would last a good minute. the first time I went on the road was hitchhiking the east coast back in 2012 or so, I left with 250 and stayed out there for most of 4 months. of course, I wasn't eating nearly enough, and we brought our own weed. lol. some people manage to live for decades without using money. good luck, anyway. /useless comment

bushhippie

Previously crisywantstorunaway
Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
maby learn to fish and eat wild foods. be careful with the wild food thing. theres tons of stuff that will make you sick. you can eat dandilion. some fancy salads actually use that as lettuce. its supposed to be really good. and good for you. you can make a tea out of those really fuzzy lambs ear leaves. its really good. i drink it all summer long. and wild onion can be cooked pretty much just like regular onion, their just tiny, and have a stronger taste.
but again theres tons of stuff that can make you sick or even kill you. example of an easy thing to mix up: wild carrots and queen anne's lace. wild carrots look like a tall weed with a laace top of small white flowers. you dig up the plant and eat the root. Queen anne's lace looks almost identical and it can make you very sick. so just be careful if you forage for food.

Current Location
Somewhere, North Carolina
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Like @crisywantstorunaway said. Learn to fish or track down your own food. Theres plenty of tutorials on the internet if you have no clue how to start. My first "real" adventure a few years back I lived in the woods for a few months, catching food out of the creek and eating small animals I had harvest with a cheap BB gun. Haven't done anything like that in some time but theres no doubt that if I had to leave right now, I know I would be able to survive for quite some time in those very same woods. Best of luck to ya.
-Forty

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
learn to do snare traps. i think they are illegal in some places and in some situations, but as far as i know if you are using it for survival its legal. theres the figure 4 dead fall, and lots of little nusees to use.

OP
OP
PeaceLoveHarmony
Current Location
Modesto CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
hmm... i think you could make that stretch quite far if you don't have habits like smoking, drinking, drugs, etc... i mean if you're hard core about it, you could make that last like 3-4 months? even farther if you got on food stamps (thus eliminating most of your food costs).
Thanks man appreciate the feedback! That's what I was hoping at least to last a few months over the summer. Its good to hear from someone who's experienced with doing it.

OP
OP
PeaceLoveHarmony
Current Location
Modesto CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
depends, do you intend to hold up any banks or convenience stores? if you're going to be doing things like WWOOF and other work exchanges, diving, shoplifting? then 500 would last a good minute. the first time I went on the road was hitchhiking the east coast back in 2012 or so, I left with 250 and stayed out there for most of 4 months. of course, I wasn't eating nearly enough, and we brought our own weed. lol. some people manage to live for decades without using money. good luck, anyway. /useless comment
I am doing the same with the Mary Jane. Plus it's pretty much hard as fuck to get in some places. But that is changing. And if you got by with 250 and didn't die I think I'll be good. Thanks for the response brother hope you have an amazing night!

OP
OP
PeaceLoveHarmony
Current Location
Modesto CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Like @crisywantstorunaway said. Learn to fish or track down your own food. Theres plenty of tutorials on the internet if you have no clue how to start. My first "real" adventure a few years back I lived in the woods for a few months, catching food out of the creek and eating small animals I had harvest with a cheap BB gun. Haven't done anything like that in some time but theres no doubt that if I had to leave right now, I know I would be able to survive for quite some time in those very same woods. Best of luck to ya.
-Forty
Definitely am looking into getting food from the land eventually. I wanna do the same soon just get away from for a while and harvest my food myself without relying on money or anything. Thank you for the advice. Peace and love to you!

OP
OP
PeaceLoveHarmony
Current Location
Modesto CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
maby learn to fish and eat wild foods. be careful with the wild food thing. theres tons of stuff that will make you sick. you can eat dandilion. some fancy salads actually use that as lettuce. its supposed to be really good. and good for you. you can make a tea out of those really fuzzy lambs ear leaves. its really good. i drink it all summer long. and wild onion can be cooked pretty much just like regular onion, their just tiny, and have a stronger taste.
but again theres tons of stuff that can make you sick or even kill you. example of an easy thing to mix up: wild carrots and queen anne's lace. wild carrots look like a tall weed with a laace top of small white flowers. you dig up the plant and eat the root. Queen anne's lace looks almost identical and it can make you very sick. so just be careful if you forage for food.
Thank you
Thank you for the advice. It may come in handy one day about the wild carrot confusion. I've been looking into wild edibles and how to string snares. Haven't actually had experience yet but when that money runs out I plan on going into the woods for a while and using these skills to survive. Appreciate it a lot much love!

bushhippie

Current Location
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
Your gonna defiantly learn now while you dont depend on it. some of it can be hard. learn some medicinal stuff. some diffrent topical medicines you can make. theres tons of stuff you need to learn, just in case :) i dont like to rely on people and cities much

fig

Wanderer
Current Location
Buffalo, NY
Reactions
98% 2% 0%
i'm a woman, but don't worry about it. you'll have a great time.

OP
OP
PeaceLoveHarmony
Current Location
Modesto CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Your gonna defiantly learn now while you dont depend on it. some of it can be hard. learn some medicinal stuff. some diffrent topical medicines you can make. theres tons of stuff you need to learn, just in case :) i dont like to rely on people and cities much
That's my plan for the long run. To get away from always having to do something I don't enjoy or work somewhere I don't love just to get food and have somewhere to sleep. It makes life so much more complicated than it is and pulls you away from who you truly are. Thanks again for the advice .

Current Location
Chino Valley, Arizona, USA
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
The more you can cook for yourself, the better you'll do with budget and nutrition. If you're in town, find a hostel and use the kitchen. You may even be able to collect enough from other bunkers to eat free if you offer to do the shopping and cooking.

OP
OP
PeaceLoveHarmony
Current Location
Modesto CA
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
The more you can cook for yourself, the better you'll do with budget and nutrition. If you're in town, find a hostel and use the kitchen. You may even be able to collect enough from other bunkers to eat free if you offer to do the shopping and cooking.
Thank you for the advice. I do plan on cooking and not buying food from restaurants at all to save as much as possible. I'll be sure to look into hostels too. Thank you again much love and Peace!!