How is Maine? | Squat the Planet

How is Maine?

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking at the start of 2017 I'm ganna longboarding up the east coast greenway and walking/skating/hitching hiking points in between all the way up to maine (starting in Ga) anyone hung around there for a decent ammount of time as a traveler? How do the locals treat dirty kids and is odd job work a prospect out there? I got family up there but I'd still like to really explore the place.

• Sad
Reactions: Mankini

Chillawhile

Reaction score
Maine is awesome! But you don't want to get there to early as it stays pretty Damn cold until June or later, if your a Georgia boy (like me) it could be tough. They get a lot of snow, a lot! And it doesn't fully melt until Kate in the year. THEN, in June and July the black flies come out. If you don't know what they are, trust me, they SUCK (some pun intended) also there is the 'state bird' the mosquito. It can also be difficult to get from place to place in Maine, a common Mainer saying, "you can't get there from here"

Ok, so those are the negatives and I had to get them out of the way. Maine is generally a pretty accepting state. People are friendly, but sometimes can come of as rude (if your a southerners used to overly polite people) because they call it like they see it and give no fucks. Maine is a very GREEN state, weed's easy to come by, cheap, and delicious. There are not many cops outside the big cities. I was told, while smoking a "J bone" on the main street in front of the general store of this town, not to worry the cops come by on Tuesday.

Work can be difficult to find depending on when and where you are there. Winter time is not a good time to look for work.

All in all, I highly recommend going, if it didn't get so unimaginably cold there I'd spend a lot more time there.

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
Maine is awesome! But you don't want to get there to early as it stays pretty Damn cold until June or later, if your a Georgia boy (like me) it could be tough. They get a lot of snow, a lot! And it doesn't fully melt until Kate in the year. THEN, in June and July the black flies come out. If you don't know what they are, trust me, they SUCK (some pun intended) also there is the 'state bird' the mosquito. It can also be difficult to get from place to place in Maine, a common Mainer saying, "you can't get there from here"

Ok, so those are the negatives and I had to get them out of the way. Maine is generally a pretty accepting state. People are friendly, but sometimes can come of as rude (if your a southerners used to overly polite people) because they call it like they see it and give no fucks. Maine is a very GREEN state, weed's easy to come by, cheap, and delicious. There are not many cops outside the big cities. I was told, while smoking a "J bone" on the main street in front of the general store of this town, not to worry the cops come by on Tuesday.

Work can be difficult to find depending on when and where you are there. Winter time is not a good time to look for work.

All in all, I highly recommend going, if it didn't get so unimaginably cold there I'd spend a lot more time there.

Thanks for the detailed answer :)
Pretty much my whole family is from Maine and they all hold onto to alot of those mannerisms. My dads told me stories about the bugs and how awful they can be. The woods and the coast line is what im really stoked on though my family makes it sound like it can be a really incredible place. I figured point A to B is ganna be a bitch there, First stop there is probably ganna be Bangor to see my grandad and help him out around the deer farm and what not. I'm stoked tho :)

Skyy

Reaction score
I live downeast Maine just outside Ellsworth. An hour from Bangor and we are staying a community/farm for travelers to come by, rest, hang out, help us out, enjoy our woods and stream. In my area at least the cops are super chill about travelers. We get a fair few on the summer who come up for blueberry season. Hitchhiking is super easy around here too. Just don't fly a sign on the median around here. Stand on the side of the road and you'll have no issues. Stand in the Medan and the cops will take your name.

• Useful
Reactions: Odin

Flemmings

Reaction score
I did some hiking and camping in the Moosehead lake region. It's fantastically beautiful. Only thing that sucks is there is no overnight parking at any or the boat ramps so it was very difficult to plan canoe camping trips when you have to worry about your car. The people in Greenville were super nice. There is a small sandwich shop in Rockwood up the lake from Greenville that have fresh fish sandwiches, and it is staffed by smoking hot, super friendly ladies. ;) There is a tremendous amount of outdoor activities in that area. I didn't have too many issues with bugs. I don't know if it was because it was so windy there after a big storm or what.

You can see for almost 50 miles from the top of the cliff/mountain of Mount Kineo. You have to take a ferry across the lake to get there. There is also a B-52 bomber crash that you can hike to and explore in the middle of the forest.

Bottlecaps

Reaction score
Yeah the cops make a sorta big deal about the no-panhandling-on-the-median thing around Ellsworth, but that's a statewide law. A lot of Maine farmers rely on travellers to get their crops dealt with, so for the most part it's pretty chill. Skyy and I live together, hit up either of us when you're around, we'll feed you and stuff haha

Reactions: Odin

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads