How feasible is this? Road tips?

rave24

Reaction score
I’m coming from a slightly different situation. i make electronic music, I’ve worked the past two years to build a set up to perform live and start booking gigs.

After saving two years, I’ve obtained a quite expensive rig.

I want to hit the road but am worried about theft. I do have a car, albeit a shitty one.

For those of you who gig, could you enlighten me on how obtaining a show at a random bar or club works?

Any tips for life on the road?

rustyshackleford541

Reaction score
plan ahead and hit up local promoters. i put on shows here and can almost never book a show without at least a couple weeks notice.
musicians get ripped off all the time. people that steal from musicians know what they're doing. i hear about bands getting their vans and cars with gear stolen pretty regularly. I
you just have to be careful about keeping an eye on your gear.

Reaction score
I’m an electronic musician too and I understand how much time, effort and money it takes just to acquire the instruments to bring your vision to life, let alone learn how to use them.

Twenty five years ago I spun records at raves all over the Midwest and traveling with turntables, mixer, records and sometimes monitors was always stressful because, as rusty pointed out, the type of thief that targets a musician can be pretty good at what they do. I recently read on Instagram that Daniel Myer had his entire live rig jacked at O’Hare airport, so it happens, even to more well known artists.

Back when I dj’ed I never let my gear leave my sight. If I stayed at a hotel or someone’s house, it always came in with me which was a pain in the ass but I never had a single record stolen. I’m sure I was just really lucky too.

If I were you I’d plot a tentative route, find potential venues along the way, and send demos to them explaining your plan for a diy tour. In my experience, one gig can lead to others. Also maybe create a go fund me which explains what your trying to do and promote it at each gig. Making CDs, shirts, and stickers could help spread the word.

Good luck!

rustyshackleford541

Reaction score
Does this happen to all musicians or just those who advertise themselves on the vehicle? I would think that if the car looked just like some random car it would be far less likely to be stolen.
The bands i see it happen to aren't big name bands or anything. I assume thieves just keep an eye on smaller shows and wait for an opportunity to steal some shit. and i'm also talking mostly about punk/metal bands, but i assume djs get ripped off as well.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads