How-2 keep a rat

Unslap

Reaction score
So i could probably find most of this info with google, but sometimes its fun to discuss stuff wif other kids.
a few questions...

1. will a rat shit in my pocket even if i let him out enough? is there any training involved?

2. do i just let him eat and drink as much as he wants whenever i happen to be eating? Any foods i should avoid feeding him?

3. I'm thinking about getting a plastic rat ball and tying it to the outside of my guitar case. The idea here is that no matter what position my guitar is in (on its side, on my back) my rat can stand upright without being face down in a plastic bottle. Also i'm gentle with my guitar and that would be good for the rat too. <--- good idea?

Unslap

Reaction score
bump. sorry . comon guys, i know yall have rats and want to share your knowledge!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to the new "furry nomads" section!

Joonbug

Reaction score
my partner and i traveled with a rat for about a year. we had a small carrier that we tied to our packs for her to sleep in when we couldn't keep her in our bags - it worked really well for camping/staying with people with animals, and they're cheap. we used fabric bedding in them that we washed at gas stations. we always carried a bag of trail mix/granola for her to eat along with scraps from whatever we were eating, and vitamin drops to put in her water. they don't do very well with the heat - dipping their tails in cool water will help them be more comfortable. if it's a girl, be mindful that they go nuts when they go into heat (every 5 days or so). my girl chewed a nice huge hole in the bottom of my sleeping bag one night. here's a list of foods to feed/not feed them http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39486-Good-and-Bad-Food-for-Rats-amp-Ratty-Recipes (yes i am kind of a crazy rat lady)

Unslap

Reaction score
my partner and i traveled with a rat for about a year. we had a small carrier that we tied to our packs for her to sleep in when we couldn't keep her in our bags - it worked really well for camping/staying with people with animals, and they're cheap. we used fabric bedding in them that we washed at gas stations. we always carried a bag of trail mix/granola for her to eat along with scraps from whatever we were eating, and vitamin drops to put in her water. they don't do very well with the heat - dipping their tails in cool water will help them be more comfortable. if it's a girl, be mindful that they go nuts when they go into heat (every 5 days or so). my girl chewed a nice huge hole in the bottom of my sleeping bag one night. here's a list of foods to feed/not feed them http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39486-Good-and-Bad-Food-for-Rats-amp-Ratty-Recipes (yes i am kind of a crazy rat lady)

Thanks ma'am, i might get one of those cages if theyre not too heavy. Anyone ever had a rat ches out of a cardboard box?

Shakou

Reaction score
The thing you need to remember with rats is no matter the gender, they are GOING to chew. That's a fact. Their teeth are continuously growing, and chewing is instinctive to keep their teeth down and for general nesting habits. They will wreck a cardboard box. They will wreck a backpack. If they can get a good enough grip on it, they will wreck plastic. You need to be conscious of this so you don't lose your rat and have your stuff destroyed.

In addition to our dogs, we also have two male rats. During the day, when we're out and about, the rats are on our shoulders, in our pockets, or riding in my handbag. I prefer male rats to travel with for this very reason; they are fat and lazy, unlike females who are more playful and energetic. We carry with us a small wire travel carrier that attaches to my bike. They go in that at night or when they need a break for food, water, bathroom, etc.

Fiddle and Bo:
1333575569sachicoon_img_0578.jpg

Reactions: barbuchon

ipoPua

Reaction score
so for the chewing thing, if i just gave my rat like sticks to nibble would that work? considering bringing a buddy when i leave again in a couple months

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
You really shouldn't ride trains with rats. Their ears are super sensitive; they're sensitive to temperature fluctuations, which could lead to illness; their lungs will struggle through train fumes/cigarettes/etc. Ultimately, I don't think rats should be traveled with at all, regardless of method. They're very delicate creatures.

However, if you choose to travel with a rat, I'd say you should definitely travel with antibiotics (Doxycycline and Tetracycline should be easiest to get, you can gey Baytril from a vet with a prescription - read about these on pet rat forums), and understand what symptoms of illness look like: porphyrin (red staining around the nose or eyes), clicky or otherwise noisy breathing, hunched up posture, etc.

You should also have at least two rats. Rats naturally live in colonies and empirical evidence shows their lifespans decrease when alone. They'll be come depressed.

cxR - I swear I'm not a rat person (my girlfriend is)

jjJuar2.jpg

Shakou

Reaction score
You really shouldn't ride trains with rats. Their ears are super sensitive; they're sensitive to temperature fluctuations, which could lead to illness; their lungs will struggle through train fumes/cigarettes/etc. Ultimately, I don't think rats should be traveled with at all, regardless of method. They're very delicate creatures.

However, if you choose to travel with a rat, I'd say you should definitely travel with antibiotics (Doxycycline and Tetracycline should be easiest to get, you can gey Baytril from a vet with a prescription - read about these on pet rat forums), and understand what symptoms of illness look like: porphyrin (red staining around the nose or eyes), clicky or otherwise noisy breathing, hunched up posture, etc.

You should also have at least two rats. Rats naturally live in colonies and empirical evidence shows their lifespans decrease when alone. They'll be come depressed.

cxR - I swear I'm not a rat person (my girlfriend is)

jjJuar2.jpg

I'll agree with you that train hopping with rats is a bad idea, and I think your idea to bring antibiotics along when traveling with them is really smart too. But to not travel at all with them period?

It depends on the time of the year, and the rat. I mention time of year, because traveling with them in the cold can lead to them getting sick VERY easily. Summer time is okay, so long as you keep them cool. And I mention the individual rat, because you will want a rat that's very human social and well adjusted to the world and loves nothing more then chillin' on you. A skiddish rat that spooks easily will die from stress if it doesn't bolt on you.

CXR1037

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, it depends on a lot of variables - how your rat handles travel, temperature, etc. I think people should have rats in safe, controlled environments and figure out whether they'll be good for traveling before taking them out on the road.

cxR - rat battlers abound

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads