hoppin the Canadian border (1 Viewer)

P

pryn

I closed my account
crossing borders

recently a friend and i, both first time, caught a train down south. it was incredible. we were trying to make it all the way to NY, but our second attempt was a bit of a failure. ANYWAY, a train bound for Montreal stops and crew changes pretty damn close to my house and i want it. is crossing borders the most terrible idea ever?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

CarlStephens

Lurker
Border Crossings

so I already ended up at the boarder once this last trip...
I was wondering if anyone out there knew where the common
spots for CP (and maybe CN?) lines to take southbound
switches? I hit one out of Poco, near abbotsford, so I know
that one... anyway, just curious, thanks for any info folks :)

Button

Lurker
hopping the border

anyone know how get across from ny to ontario? message me if you do.

nobo

Lurker
hopping the border

i met some kids who crossed through the woods in montana. it took them two tries. the first time they thought they were sneaking through these un touched woods when they were hit with flood lights and surrounded by mounties (is that right?). they just let them go tho. then they tried again on a different route a few weeks later and made it through. the only problem is that in order to get back to canada without all the paperwork and bullshit they have to sneak back through. id imagine its pretty difficult. but it can be done.

P

pryn

I closed my account
crossing borders

cautionary tale noted. good story.

severegout

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Website
www.ethernet.org
crossing borders

note that VACIS is *mostly* used for trains entering the US, not for trains entering Canada. you would be better off crossing legally as i'm only going to assume that the border which you speak of is ROUSES POINT which is a very hot border --- both sides.

I have crossed 3 different Canadian borders (into Canada) by freight and have had no problems. The only remotely sketchy one was Blaine... but still it CAN be done.

Button

Lurker
Border help...

well some guy in richmond we were talking to told us about vermont and how at night they shut the border stations down and you can walk across without a hassle. he said he did that a couple years ago so i didnt know if it was a crock of shit or if it could actually be done. then one night when my bf called me from richmond(due to legal shit i got taken away and deported so im back in canada)and said he was with these kids who were heading north so he was gonna go with them.. but for some reason even when he told them that it wasnt a north bound train and a south one they still thought they were right and got on and he stayed in richmond. now hes in baltimore. but one of these kids said it was island pond in vermont where they dont check you.

the whole thing is he has really bad criminal charges from 5 years ago so its when they run his name through their system, if they find anything they wont let him across. we're gonna try crossing anyways to see what happens but if it doesnt work we're gonna have to figure it out some other way.

Button

Lurker
Border help...

the thing is if he gets a pardon for his criminal record and a passport it'll take so long. also if i have to marry him in the states and then apply for that sponsering a family member thing, that could take up to 9 months. hes trying to get here cause we're having a kid and we're both scared by the time the form would go through he'd miss his baby being born.
and another thing is, when they denied me at the border when i was going back, they asked why he couldnt go there and i said cause of his criminal record and they looked up his name and whatnot and couldnt find anything which i thought was odd.
what we're going to tell them at the border is that hes just coming here for the ultrasound and then going back cause his citizenship is in the process and whatnot. im hoping it will work. and hopefully that time if they search his name nothing will show up like the first time they searched.

lowerarchy

I realize this is an old thread but just a warning to those who want to walk it - be very cautious in BC. The weed growers and law enforcement are waaay, way ahead of you when it comes to sneaking across that border. Soldiers hiding in the woods with night vision goggles type thing.

skiggs

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Canada entering

will it work the other way montreal to yes..if yes plaese sen me a private nessage an tell me wat trains ..i would be so grateful..

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.