hoppin the Canadian border

T

trangus

I deleted myself
so i just got deported outta canada. anyone got any ideas for spots to cross. i got a couple spots plotted on google earth, but anyone with firsthand experience would really help. i dont care too much where i cross, but it might be a bit bitter just to email me with replies, call me paranoid, but i try not to blow shit up too much.
[email protected]
thanx

OP
T

trangus

I deleted myself
hoppin the border

forgot to mention that im probly gonna be on foot and walkin, unless anybody has any other bright ideas. yeah lemme know.

tober

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Canada entering

as long as you look normal, and tell them you're fishing for the weekend, they'll probably just wave you through. it's really easy.

iamcrkt

Banned
Current Location
Lawrence, KS
Website
www.ethernet.org
Canada entering

oh contrare! Most border crossings into Canada now will seriously harass you if you are just WALKING ... let alone have a backpack visible (amtrak/greyhound). You most always have to have a phone number of a friend that you are going to "visit/stay with" and proof of spending cash. I have friends who have been turned away for only having $200 each! I have friends who have been turned away because they didn't know anyone in Canada. Have a good story and practice making it match up if you are going with a friend.

If you want info on trains into Canada PM me. I find this a much easier way.

Riding trains in Canada is a piece of cake and i've only been harassed once and that was in Montreal... but they let us go.

tober

Banned
Canada entering

quebec city, or just quebec the province?

OP
I

Immortal dirty Squirrel

I deleted myself
Canada entering

Well,
If you wanna get in, with minimal amount of risk, I'd just simply walk across, somewhere.
Plan for a week long hike, and know what you are doing, and where you are going.
Once, your in, Be from canada. No id. You're mostly fine without it everywhere but saskatchewan, where, the police apparently have the "right" to arrest you for obstruction, Just fer not having it. Quebec is also bad, everywhere except Montreal, which is possibly the most happening town in the country.
Be forewarned though, it's cold here now, and will be until spring. Everywhere except the far west coast.

OP
J

jack ransom

I deleted myself
Canada entering

I would definitely recommend a good story. "my friend is here blah blah blah I'm only staying for 5 days blah blah blah". They seriously do NOT want tramps coming into Canada. so you can't look or act like one. khakiflage is an absolute must.

The most surefire way is to take a greyhound ticket from an American border town to a Canadian one. I would even recommend having a return ticket as well because it makes you look 10 times less sketchy. You can refund the ticket once you get across the border and then tramp it up to your hearts desire. Getting into the United States, even as an American is about as difficult. Might want to bus it back as well. You'll need a passport to get into Canada starting in 2008 and a passport to get back. The border is pretty serious nowadays.

tober

Banned
Canada entering

Well,
If you wanna get in, with minimal amount of risk, I'd just simply walk across, somewhere.
Plan for a week long hike, and know what you are doing, and where you are going.
Once, your in, Be from canada. No id. You're mostly fine without it everywhere but saskatchewan, where, the police apparently have the "right" to arrest you for obstruction, Just fer not having it. Quebec is also bad, everywhere except Montreal, which is possibly the most happening town in the country.
Be forewarned though, it's cold here now, and will be until spring. Everywhere except the far west coast.
I was put in handcuffs and almost brought to the station just for not having ID .. in MTL.. dwntwn.. Montreal cops are horrible, i dont know what your talking about. Unless your from there, or can speach french, i would expect harrasment if your doing something like being homeless. The thing that got me out of being arrested just for not having ID was they bothered to drive into a park (no road, they drove on the grass like the powertrip pigs they are) and asked my g/f while i was in teh back of the car what my full name was and how long shes known me. Then they made a crude joke about how i smelled, laughed together, then told me to go stay in a shelter were i can shower.

did you enter illegally?

Button

Lurker
Border help...

im planning on going to the states for a few months. meeting up with a friend in boston and then makin our way to nyc.

problem is, i dont know much about the border situation. i heard that if you bus it over you have 90 days to come back. im thinking of getting someone to drive me over but i dont know how that'll work.. i just need to get across the border somehow.. help? ???

Button

Lurker
Border help...

im not gonna bus it then, ill just have to find someone willing to drive me over.

isnt there a sidewalk or something where you can walk across?

Button

Lurker
Border help...

im crossing at rainbow bridge. the border between new york and ontario. but i think i got it all figured out now. at least i hope. :|

kai

Pilgrim
Current Location
victoria
Border help...

i have crossed the borders a couple of times recently...and every time I didn't have a problem, five minutes of immigracion, no problems, no searches no stupid questions. However while I was breezing through, business men were getting their bags ripped apart and old people being hassled....try and relax and whatever you do don't let them bait you...they may bring up things you have never said to any official or even ever said or done in an attempt to make you nervous, by being nervous and by getting upset they are trying to weaken you and figure out if you have anything to hide or just being sadistic..don't let them do this to you. I told the border guys at port angeles the truth even, and was just ridiculously relaxed about it...any proof you gonna come back to canada..No. any proof of income? no...any fixed address...No. ever been arrested...Yes. Okay well you haven't done anything wrong, you got 6 months but we'll keep an eye on you to make sure you don't work.

I am not super crusty at all and I dressed normal for myself nad just made sure my laundry was done and had some money to show them with a bank stub to prove I had a little more.

Button

Lurker
Border help...

i have crossed the borders a couple of times recently...and every time I didn't have a problem, five minutes of immigracion, no problems, no searches no stupid questions. However while I was breezing through, business men were getting their bags ripped apart and old people being hassled....try and relax and whatever you do don't let them bait you...they may bring up things you have never said to any official or even ever said or done in an attempt to make you nervous, by being nervous and by getting upset they are trying to weaken you and figure out if you have anything to hide or just being sadistic..don't let them do this to you. I told the border guys at port angeles the truth even, and was just ridiculously relaxed about it...any proof you gonna come back to canada..No. any proof of income? no...any fixed address...No. ever been arrested...Yes. Okay well you haven't done anything wrong, you got 6 months but we'll keep an eye on you to make sure you don't work.

I am not super crusty at all and I dressed normal for myself nad just made sure my laundry was done and had some money to show them with a bank stub to prove I had a little more.
yeah i think ill be fine. im gonna try to make myself look a little more better. i found some pants a while ago that are pretty much brand new and i got a plain hoodie laying around here somewhere. plus ill take out my piercings just incase it helps. as for the money situation, i have a bank account thing but i dont use it. but i could put money in it and just show them the reciept?

Button

Lurker
Border help...

i kinda wonder what kind of pot hes smoked if he thinks cat piss smells like pot. haha. XD

OP
I

Immortal dirty Squirrel

I deleted myself
Border help...

I recommend just walkin through the woods...

kai

Pilgrim
Current Location
victoria
Border help...

yeah i think ill be fine. im gonna try to make myself look a little more better. i found some pants a while ago that are pretty much brand new and i got a plain hoodie laying around here somewhere. plus ill take out my piercings just incase it helps. as for the money situation, i have a bank account thing but i dont use it. but i could put money in it and just show them the reciept?[/quote]

you don't need the bank statement if you have all your money in cash, if you have no money I recommend screwing official crossing and taking Immortal Dirty Squirrel's advice and walking through the woods, when I crossed I needed to take a ferry from Victoria to meet someone and it was inevitable. Taking out your piercings will help immensely, when I first crossed I had long hair that covered my ears, but when I cut my hair all off down south, I took my earrings out....even though I had big holes they are still less noticeable then when you have big plugs in. If you have someone you can pretend to be going to see like an address that helps too but you will probably be okay especially at a high volume crossing if you just blend in a little.If you are underage take a note from your parents, they may even want it notarized (again the woods are awesome for crossing). They pretty much wanna make sure you won't work, and you have enough money to live...so if you only have a couple hundred bucks tell em you are going for a day to see a childhood friend that lives in (insert random american town name) that moved away from your hometown a while ago.

Or again...the woods.

Button

Lurker
Border help...

when i go to cross ill have about $100 hopefully more if i can make a few extra. ive decided not to take the bus so that money helps too.

ive heard of crossing through the woods but one of my friends got caught and arrested for it so the rumour goes. :roll:

Button

Lurker
Border help...

im hitching to niagara falls from toronto and then crossing at the bridge from niagara falls into buffalo.

OP
I

Immortal dirty Squirrel

I deleted myself
Border help...

I've tried the "offcial way" many times now, and it doesn't work no matter how much money you've got, or what you tell them, or how you look there is still a really good chance that they wont let you in. Of course I was trying to go the other way.. canada into the US.
However, the woods are quite hospitable, and if your smart, they will always let you through...
I woke up under a grapefruit tree this mornin... Muhahaha.