Featured Photos

Hoppin from Memphis: One of the most beautiful days of my life

I arrived at Norfolk Southern's Harris yard just before 9 pm to watch my train to Atlanta finish being built and hopefully find a sweet, cozy ride! I estimated that it would take about 20-24 hours til we arrived in the land of prissy housies, cracked out home bums, and Coca-Cola (these are pretty much the only things I've ever experienced in Atlanta).

My buddy dropped me at the yard and I scampered in to the shadows by some semi trailers, waited, and watched.

Not too long after, I see those charming pony-adorned units pulling up the first string of my train. Slowly but surely, the units pulled about 30 cars ahead of me and stopped. Being that one side of the yard is on a main road, I had only about 5 cars to scope where I'd be hidden in the shadows. Any further east and I'd be getting too close to the front of the train, west was where all the workers were, and on the other side cars whizzed past with less than seconds between each other- way too busy and well lit to be climbing around on that side.

Here we go! With a work truck parked and headlights pointing at the train less than 150 ft from me I decided to trust in the shadows to keep me a secret and started scoping cars.

FLAT CAR
FLAT CAR
FLAT CAR
SUICIDE MINI WELL
FLAT CAR
FUUUCK

There wasn't one safely rideable car infront of me. FUCK. With my heart pounding, half from running and half from adrenaline moshing through my scaley body, I sat back behind a tree and hoped.

Tssssss
Our good friend, the air brakes, told me my train was about to start moving again and MAYBE this means I'll have a better ride pull up infront of me. Sometimes crossing your fingers and muttering curse words to yourself pays off.

Sure enough, she pulled up enough for me to scope 3 new cars and one of them was a well with a floor! It was a tiny fella and full of breaks but these itchy feet were gettin the heck outta Memphis. Upon laying down in my well I was greeted with the tender smell of sweet, sweet shit. Great.

20190201_215731-jpg.48835_Hoppin from Memphis: One of the most beautiful days of my life_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

Within a couple hours the kiddie pool deep well, the shit stench, my gear, cow, and I rolled out of the home of the delta blues n birthplace of rock n roll.

Fast-forward.
It's Saturday morning in Northern Alabama and I pop outta my sleeping bag groundhog style (it was groundhog day) and am greeted by prime golden hour. Sunshine flashing thru passing trees, casting shadows between amber light on the double stack infront of me. If the sky had told me she'd never heard of clouds that day, I'd believe her.

screenshot_20190203-173323_video-player-jpg.48837_Hoppin from Memphis: One of the most beautiful days of my life_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

Yesterday was one of the best days of my life. Since starting my medication about 2 years ago, I rarely cry tears of joy anymore but yesterday they came without hesitation. Rolling thru valleys, along multiple parts of the Tennessee River, passing decrepit barns, cows, cotton fields, school yards, creeks, swamps, old timey towns. Breathing fresh air. Laying on the grate in the sunlight. Taking cow out for short walks at side outs. Eating mandarins, pretzels and banana chips.

This is what I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

I cried and hugged myself and thanked myself for staying alive all these years.
Every trauma, every day spent screaming from the immeasurable pain of mental turmoil, every heartbreak and fuck up, everything wrong or bad melted away as I laid in the sun and breathed. These pains and memories will always be in me somewhere but yesterday solidified that life is truly beautiful and I'm truly free. It felt like the freedom and fresh air had filed down the corners of those pains. And everything is okay, even when it's not.

20190202_133227-0-jpg.48836_Hoppin from Memphis: One of the most beautiful days of my life_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

Fast-forward.
It's around 7 pm and the train sides out just outside of Austell for about 2 hours. Then we high ball it thru Austell and much further into the Atl yard than I wanted.

"PLEASE SLOW DOWN, PLEASE SLOW DOWN"

We are way too close to the heart of this massive yard for comfort. But sure enough, we slow down and then come to a hault. Complete with knuckle bangin slack action.

There's only one track, about 15 feet of brush, and a fence between me (and cow) and the road running parallel to the yard. So after a sigh of relief, the thought of "man, that was easy!", and putting my pack back on, without hesitation I confidently took about 3 strides into the brush tO REALIZE IT WAS ALL FUCKING THORN VINES WHAT THE FUCK ARE U FUCKING SERIOUS?! Because nothing is ever THAT easy. But once you're about 1/3 of the way thru some thorn vines and they're surrounding u, it's time to finish what ur dumb ass started.

So I pushed thru the thorns, found a hole in the fence, and stepped off railyard property a free but sore man.

If you're having mental health issues, especially if u want to kill yourself, please know that it gets better. The first step for me was deciding it was time to make it better, get help, and change my habits.

If you're mentally ill and looking to travel, I recommend building some healthy habits before hitting the road as it's easy to fall into bad ones out here.

20190202_174941-jpg.48839_Hoppin from Memphis: One of the most beautiful days of my life_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

20190202_175005-jpg.48838_Hoppin from Memphis: One of the most beautiful days of my life_Travel Stories_Squat the Planet_{posttime}

Hey folks, I love meeting new people so feel free to reach out. I make weird art and love dead things. Avid urbexer. My mind is a constant reel of sketch comedy ideas. Perpetually singing or talking. Workin on shutting up more often. ENFP if that...
View all 3 featured items
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Qtravels

Lurker
Current Location
Ontario, Canada
Wow this post is very deep and amazing. I can empathize with some of the feelings you were talking about and you use neat adjectives in your writing! lol

Memphis

Lurker
Current Location
Vero Beach, Florida
Thanks for coming through. Safe travels. Everyone here is bummed you left. I got an earful at the bar tonight cuz you didn’t say bye... I promised them you’d be back.

OP
croc

croc

Wanderer
Current Location
Roads n rails
Thanks for coming through. Safe travels. Everyone here is bummed you left. I got an earful at the bar tonight cuz you didn’t say bye... I promised them you’d be back.
Ain't no way I'd be able to say goodbye to all fuckin 20 regulars from mcg xD
Guess you're not the only one who Irish goodbyes these days (n u never changed ur user name). But please tell them I said bye. Esp Jen and Rodney, they're my favs.
Also, I'll def be back. Yall know how to make a stinky bum n his rat feel welcome. Sorry I used all ur toilet paper. N thanks for the quesadillas ;)

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Current Location
Northern Arizona
Website
www.youtube.com
Hell yes! I was struggling with hardcore depression when I stopped traveling, hopping that train outta Bend was the best thing for my mood and well being i could have ever done.

Life doesnt have to suck, get your mind off of life, hit the road like you just jumped out of a moving vehicle!!

Doing my YouTube channel has alot with improving my mood. Weird, but it helps.

Great post.

OP
croc

croc

Wanderer
Current Location
Roads n rails
Hell yes! I was struggling with hardcore depression when I stopped traveling, hopping that train outta Bend was the best thing for my mood and well being i could have ever done.

Life doesnt have to suck, get your mind off of life, hit the road like you just jumped out of a moving vehicle!!

Doing my YouTube channel has alot with improving my mood. Weird, but it helps.

Great post.
Glad ur feelin better too! I feel the same about my Instagram so I feel ya. It's nice to document stuff in a creative way to look back at things you enjoyed

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Australia
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Fuck yeah, Croc, I'm so fucking happy for you and proud of you <3

Beautifully written, so glad you had such an awesome ride, looks dreeaammy, can't wait to ride with you again soon

I LOVE THIS <3
If the sky had told me she'd never heard of clouds that day, I'd believe her.

OP
croc

croc

Wanderer
Current Location
Roads n rails
Fuck yeah, Croc, I'm so fucking happy for you and proud of you <3

Beautifully written, so glad you had such an awesome ride, looks dreeaammy, can't wait to ride with you again soon

I LOVE THIS <3
I love and miss u endlessly. My train critter soul mate <3 and all my friends you've met ask about u bc you're so lovable and heaps (as you'd say) of fun!
Did u know that was my first route that I hadn't ridden with u! My others were ones u and I had already ridden or u were there for

Zbart1108

Current Location
Just around the bend
Awesome write up bro, I have so much in my head I wish I could put down in ledgable reading, so many people tell me I should write a book. I think that's something all travelers get told by the people that haven't found the courage to brake free from the system.

Prophetess333

Lurker
Current Location
Nyc
I'm glad you had a good ride and it lightened your day with enlightenment! There will be more awesome times for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?
Supposed Mocha wrote on Chimpsarereal's profile.
Oh youre already in MI! I feel dense now, I'm in GR myself and could meet around here or West MI

Staff online