Hoping Freight Truck?

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I been on and off the road for 12 years now. I have always wondered about the possibility of hoping on a freight trailer at a truck stop. I feel like it could be possible to ride some of these,( I'm thinking short distance, like if stuck in a Podunk town and cant thumb a ride) though once on and going down the road your subject to stopping at weight check stations.... has anybody ever done this? iv been scoping out trailers and trucks to find a trailer thats safe to ride. don't think I'm gonna find one...

• Haha
Reactions: Sand
D

Deleted member 8978

One problem with that though, is that you don't know where you are going and you'll have to get a GPS to track where you're heading. Another thing, I kinda dislike anything that locks. I definitely don't like empty flat-beds because they don't have places to hide. I would also stay away from tank rigs, they don't give out hiding options either.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
there are very few ridable options I think. I would never ride in something I may be locked into or have no escape. so I narrowed my options down to material loads like trusses, culvert tunnels, big equipment and things that will hide you but give you the ability to hop on or off and see the road markers as well.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've always wondered what would happen if you hid from the driver between the truck and the trailer and held on for dear life, maybe jumping off at a red-light or some other informal stop.
same. I think you would have to be without a pack. not much room back there to be wearing a pack.
Is that a 2013 national pic in your avatar square?

O

outlawloose

Most of the TOFCs Ive ridden have a large metal chassis to hold a couple spare tires on the underside of the trailer, and sometimes they're empty. Not sure why they wouldn't be carrying spares but for whatever reason, I've used this empty frame to hold my pack and body right up against the underside of the trailer one time when I'd been spotted and the train was being searched. I bet if you had the proper eye protection and enormous testicles you could ride a moving semi sitting in this metal frame.

DrewSTNY

Reaction score
Most of the TOFCs Ive ridden have a large metal chassis to hold a couple spare tires on the underside of the trailer, and sometimes they're empty. Not sure why they wouldn't be carrying spares but for whatever reason, I've used this empty frame to hold my pack and body right up against the underside of the trailer one time when I'd been spotted and the train was being searched. I bet if you had the proper eye protection and enormous testicles you could ride a moving semi sitting in this metal frame.
This stunt requires testicles so large, one might not fit in the frame without dragging your balls on the ground.

P

Popsicle

Impossible last friend that did is dead just from larmaie to Cheyenne. Frozen rock solid .

Here's reasons why .
Ports and scales x Ray loads while rolling , you can't close the door behind you it has to be done from outside .

Cut the load lock ? Not only did you just cost the driver his job but you yourself just entered into highway robbery .

Other reason ? Try and find out .

P

Popsicle

Other reasons why are what if the driver has several drops ? Your screwed. Best to ask first I just did a 300 mile with my partner and dog . Best ride ever

Joe Btfsplk

Reaction score
Dillon, eh? I've done I-70 often, Dillon is hugs with Silverthorne. Terrible winter driving area. Aren't the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnels around there?

Anyway. Riding between the tractor and the trailer of a semi truck is ludicrous. There are so many eyes out there from other motorists eager to report. That also goes for trying to ride on a flatbed trailer in trusses or what have you. Too many eyes.

A tractor-trailer unit on making a sharp turn limits your free space rapidly, the trailer is the second to make the turn pinning you up against the tractor. Don't nap.

I drove big trucks for years. Marijuana pee tests began. Fuck that. My ideal work of being alone and driving; gone.

So now I just drive a personal vehicle, hopefully not annoy. Travel at my expense.

I saw this article:

"A truck driver picked up an unwanted hitchhiker near Covington, Washington on Wednesday.

Washington State Patrol received reports that a man was standing between the cab and trailer of a truck driving on Route 18.

A state trooper eventually pulled over the truck and arrested the man for drug charges.

Police said the man had been hiding from gang members underneath the truck while it was parked east of Covington. When the driver got back to the truck and started driving the man jumped between the cab and the trailer."

P

Popsicle

This thread is even more stupid than the single male / female tadpole troll .

But it does give info and might even save someone life

Voted STUPID because common sense prevails

Skit

Reaction score
I didn't account for those sharp turns semi's take, very true. It never seemed like a viable option for long distances, but I threw around the possibility of it for getting out of a small town when thumbing hasn't worked.

I'm not completely sure of their names but that sounds familiar. I could drive in those dimly lit holes in the mountains for hours, it's a shame they only take a minute or two to get through.

• Agree
Reactions: RoadFlower33

onethingtosay

Reaction score
this might be interesting to read: Two Teen Boys Cling To Back Of Tractor Trailer On Freeway - https://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/15/two-teen-boys-cling-to-back-of-tractor-trailer-on-freeway/#close-modal
and maybe (just a suggestion) with a bit of cardboard and some spay paint make a cover for
the hole in the top there that you could "seal" yourself in with to avoid detection. of course, this would be extremely dangerous, you would be trapped, and in big trouble if detected, witch will probably happen, because:
1: the person driving will know the truck well, and notice the change
2: you are laying on a thin sheet metal roof. these tend to make loud pops when weight is applied.
3: you will probably be seen or heard climbing up into the hole, as most trucks with the hole there don't have ladders, most likely to prevent people fro stowing away there
4: you peak out to see what is going on, moving the cardboard, and alerting nearby motorists.
and 5: your screams will be easy to hear when you get frostbite from the cold metal, hit your head, get heatstroke or just get frustrated because you are stuck in traffic with nowhere to go.

• Haha
Reactions: RoadFlower33

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Best reply ever.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
" National what anyway?"
National Rainbow Gathering.... very simply put, it's a big misunderstood festival of travelers and party goers who gather in the woods once a year. I can get into what it is and what its precieved to be and what ppl use it as. It has a purpose and it's kinda a demonstration if you will.
There is a group of ppl that call themselves "Rainbow" they are a migrant tribe of hobos leather and rubber tramps gypsys and hoods. They hold gatherings everywhere all the time across the globe called regionals and are likely to travel in pairs, groups or evan a caravans. They hold Nationals and Global gatherings once a year in undisclosed/last minute released locations.
The reason I asked about your photo is bc it looked like a scene from the 2013 gathering i was at.... there was a double rainbow at rainbow and it was kinda funny.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads