Homeless by choice, living on campus | Squat the Planet

Homeless by choice, living on campus

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcademiaPunk

Reaction score
I am mildly seeking advice from people who have lived on campus or have become homeless by choice.

I've come to a stand point where my student loans are not enough to cover rent and my growing bills (soon to be in collections). Not to mention that all my job experience is in retail, and that has gone way down hill. Folks ain't hiring. Through my university I have access to several lounges with couches and one has a full sized kitchen. Past that there is a gym (showers/time wasting) and laundry services is plenty in Toronto. P.O box. Aside from campus there is an abandonment close by I could toss my wrapepd mattress into as back up.

Been homeless through a winter (survived with friends, bus shelters, work), I've squatted before, not long, about a month during fall in an old hotel (found a room with no windows, aka warmer), and I have hitch hiked across my country for 6 weeks sleeping outside. On top of that I come from a family of farming/hunting natives. So I have what it takes.

My questions merely stem from pondering about things I just don't know about, that may be involved.

Thoughts? Concerns? Hate mail (jk)?

Thanks in advance.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I feel you, I would rather be homeless right now to tell you the truth, but I wrapped myself up in to much responsibility and material things. You don't really seem to be asking any clear questions. Coffee shops are good spots to do schoolwork. Warm, internet, and they're comfortable. good luck. Also you'll find it takes much more commitment to get all your school shit done.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
definitely gonna be in the same boat soon. maybe by the end of the month. it's sad how much our age is capable of, and yet every day we're being thrown out in the street.

Reactions: todd

HUMANCONTRAST

Reaction score
why are so many kids these days choosing to be homeless? for some of us out here its truly not a choice. i would do anything to have mommy and daddys house to go back to when ever i wanted. Im aloud to visit now for a couple days.. but a few years ago that wasnt the case. shit this is the first time ive been in my mothers house in almost four years

Reactions: todd

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Are you disabled in some way HC? Is it absolutely impossible for you to find work, or to couch surf with some friends (assuming you have any), until you pull your shit together and get off the streets? maybe you are just so strung out on dope that you cant imagine ever getting your life together?
I guess this website has something to do with squatters, who by my definition, arent at all homeless.
I feel really bad for people like you, that truly have no other choice, but can still somehow manage to waste their time on the internet. Quit wasting your time on STP, check out craigslist, maybe you can find a job and a place to live.
I guess most of us are homeless by choice, or at least houseless by choice, when we are. If you are really so desperate, go find some help at a shelter, there are people out there get helpless people like you back on your feet.

For the OP: I would be careful, I have had problems with this in the past, though I wasnt a student. I guess maybe you have slightly less problems if you are a student. I have been accused of "cohabitation" (like, living with friends), for sleeping around on college campuses, and arrested for Criminal trespass after. I imagine it would be hard for them to tell you you are trespassing on the campus that you pay to go to, but maybe see what the consequences could be. Would suck to fuck up your schooling because you hadnt already moved over to the abandonments you were talking about.

HUMANCONTRAST

Reaction score
And it's pretty easy getting online i don't know if you heard of this cool new thing they got a cell phone?? forty bux a month walmart strait talk unlimited everything. And i do some pretty amazing stuff i work rennsiance fairs from time to time. this site sucks your all so quick to judge just because some people truly have no choice but to travel. Assuming im a drug addict just because im not settled down or go to college. and fuck being in a shelter id rather not loose my dog.

Reactions: dolittle

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
Oh and can't really couch surf when all your friends are also travelers. besides the ones who are settled down they always have a couch open for me.
You just completely contradicted yourself in 2 sentences. You cant couch surf, except the couches that are always available?

E

Earth

No Jobs??
There's jobs, you just can't be lazy about it.....

The ex came with asbergers, so I know all about that.
Yeah, they definately see things differently than everybody else.
(*which, in someways I actually admire)

Now, correct me if I'm wrong - but if you are disabled, then you got checks rolling in, correct??
Thats gotta help some....
But then again, perhaps you chose not to be tangled up in the system - which is something I would admire very much.

Redd Capp

Banned
Reaction score
I dont think any teenager chooses to be homeless--- Its that they are throw away kids who time out of the foster care system or are tired of bouncing back and forth between divorced parents...

Cardboard

Banned
Reaction score
I dont think any teenager chooses to be homeless--- Its that they are throw away kids who time out of the foster care system or are tired of bouncing back and forth between divorced parents...
True, sorry, I forget that most members of this forum are teens.

HUMANCONTRAST

Reaction score
Now, correct me if I'm wrong - but if you are disabled, then you got checks rolling in, correct??
Thats gotta help some....
But then again, perhaps you chose not to be tangled up in the system - which is something I would admire very much.

No, I don't get checks.

Xavierr

Reaction score
interesting....

shut up ron don't blow my cover. aren't you the one who was doing bath salts the other night when i was at your house? speakin of... IM COMMMMINNN OVVVERRRR! AND eating yer food. <3 c u soon

No, that was sugar. Bath-salts are fuckin nasty. and cait, you do get checks. We're both on welfare and stamps, and we're married. We're still adopting a foreign child in 2012 right? You've also been on my couch for about 3 months now so its your couch pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads