Home Made Travel Cook Pot and Stoves. | Squat the Planet

Home Made Travel Cook Pot and Stoves.

C

Cush

DIY portable stove.

i was looking through the pictures on the old StP site and i saw one picture of a dude cooking on what looked to be a home made portable cooking stove. i was wondering if anybody on here had any ways to make a decent portable stove.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

TBone

Reaction score
DIY portable stove.

I made one of those little pepsi g stoves and it works well enough for me. Make a heat/wind shield out of an old coffee can and that will make it alot more efficient. Punch just a few holes around the bottom and sides to give the stove some oxygen. Use everclear and it will burn cleaner plus you can drink your fuel!

Post edited by: TBone, at: 2006/09/22 05:54

Vagrant

Reaction score
DIY portable stove.

Cush wrote:
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

this has a whole slew of DIY camping stuff. it's awesome. i made the "perry's alcohol burning stove" today. it works really well. although it required me to drink soda for the first time in forever. :S

this site is amazing! i am surely making all my own gear for when i hit the rails next year!
Pack, Sleeping Bag, Tent, and maybe even a stove!

C

Cush

can someone post a link to plans for a good beer can stove? i've tried 8 different designs and after many many hours of fiddling none of them work as well as they should. any tips to help get any designs to not suck?

TBone

Reaction score
One thing that really helps is using JB weld expoxy or something similiar to hold the middle section to the top and bottom of the two outer pieces and to get a good seal there. It's also nice to use some metal thermal tape (the silver kind from a hardware store) to wrap around the outside to get a good seal there. Try to get the hole placement on the burner even and to one conformed size. I like my whisperlite though. :)

G

Gutters

i got bored so i thought i would try the Pepsican (coke in my case) stove and it was butiful how nice it can out so lightweight and compact a++

C

Cush

widerstand, I'd really like to see some of that stuff. If it's a quick link to plans then feel free but if it would involve you typing out a long explanation then don't trouble yourself. my interest is only out of curiosoty so if it would be a lot of work you don't have to bother.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
holy crap dude, you weren't kidding. this stuff is great... i NEED to get/make this stuff.

C

Crazycoon

Wood burning stove.

I figured out that if you take a coffee can, cut tabs in it, fold every second tab down, take a smaller can and fill it full of greece from the back of a resturant then put small chunks of pallet and cardboard in the greese and light that shit up inside the coffee can you can cook a feast :) Its cool cause you can get it all in the vacinity of one dumpster!

C

circle_b

Wood burning stove.

oh hell yeah!

my dad made me one of these he cut out of little sheets of aluminum; almost exactly the same design. i think that might be a good idea for a workshop - if you're not already doing something like that.

incidentally, do you have a picture of that can-in-a-can style rocket-stove? i used to have one of those that worked pretty well, wouldn't mind making another one. not as cool as the panel style one, i know ;p.

bananathrash

Reaction score
DIY portable stove.

im betting you could find a lot of the parts you need for free behind an appliance store. there is one near me that just leaves everything outside. could probably just yank the part off of a full sized gas stove.

T

Tusk!

DIY portable stove.

http://zenstoves.net/

this is an extremely informative site solely dedicated to DIY backpacking stoves. this site offers: a very detailed guide to building an alcohol stove burner, the pros & cons of different fuel sources, pictures & printable templates of different DIY stove designs, the science explaining how different stoves work, etc.

check it out...

S

shane

Wood burning stove.

thats awesome wider.i award you a thousand brilliant points!!=)the other crazy's grease idea is great too!!i never thought of that.-shane

Lint

Reaction score
DIY portable stove.

Those beercan stoves like the ones on PCThiker.com are the shit. I've used them on three different thru hikes, covering thousands of miles in all kinds of weather. They last forever and are small and light enough that there is no reason not to bring one along. Cooking that dumpstered food helps keep ya from getting sick.

I'm not sure if it has been posted yet, but Ray Jardine has an awesome website/book dedicated to making all your own camping gear. I have 2650 miles on a quilt I made from his designs, and plan on putting on another 3000 this summer/fall. Run a search engine on Ray Jardine to find his website.

O

Oaksey

DIY portable stove.

http://www.roaddawgz.com

that site gave me this instruction for a handy, portable camp stove:

-Coffeecan
-rubbing alcohol
-hammer/nails or pocketknife

Use nail/pocketknife to punch ventilation holes all around bottom quarter of can. Fill with rubbing alcohol to the holes and light. Put cooking pot or pan on coffee can and cook!

kai

Reaction score
DIY portable stove.

for the coffee can stove if you don't have access to rubbing alcohol you can always use grease too...not as clean burning but free, just go behind your favourite greasy restaurant and open up the grease bin.

this might not be good for the train because if any water or water containing fluids get into the oil it'll spit fire everywhere, and it's always good to have something to be able to suffocate the fire if it seems like its becoming too much.

Post edited by: kai, at: 2007/06/07 06:54

kai

Reaction score
DIY portable stove.

I just looked into zen stoves, says veggie oil/grease isn't recommended so I thought I'd post that also...I don't want someone to take my advice and get hurt or in trouble

DIY portable stove.

i cooked my whole way up and down the country on sternos. you can steal them realllly easily from a party city or such store, at walmart they generally come in a 2 pack which is harder, but they're pretty cheap too. they're pure ethanol, light with just a spark, and boil water pretty quickly. one lasts quite a while, too.

sterno.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads