Home made Hooch (1 Viewer)

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
A compound bucket is 5 gallons. You pour off 4 and a bit gallons post-fermentation. With a reasonable yield, when you freeze the results, you have almost a gallon of high-octane peachjack.

Much too good for the pigs till they mold. Ferment those bitches.

The pigs will dig the slimy dead yeast and fruit residue (the part you don't use to make bread and sourdough starter) even more than they will dig the fresh peaches, although there will be less of it of course. Brewery waste is some prime pig chow.

Last edited:
We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

BradKajukenbo

Wanderer
Current Location
Redding, California
When I was a kid, we'd have a ball watching the deer get sauced up on rotten apples. On occasion a drunk brown bear. My grandfather would make some great AppleJack though.

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
Be like grandpa and make that peachjack.

I am trying to remember the author of the classic scientific paper on drunk, and high-on-drugs, animals in the wild. Will post it here if i overcome the Old-Timer's Disease and remember dude's name- someone i've met. Shameful.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
I will just add my 2 cents here.

1) Sterilize everything you use if you don't want to risk bacteria ruining your stuff. Campden tablets are good for this. Campden tablets also used to help stop the growth of wild yeasts. If you are using wine yeasts and don't want to take a chance with wild yeasts (unpredictable results) you should use campden tablets in your wine must the first day....let it sit 24 hours, then add your wine yeast. They aren't that expensive, I order a big bag of them on hand. You can literally buy a 100 count for a few bucks.

I usually freeze all the fruit I use for making wines and then thaw them when I'm ready to begin brewing. This helps to break down the cell walls of the fruit. I've heard that sometimes using boiling water can impart off flavors, so I always use real hot (not boiling water). Same thing if you crush some fruit, depending on what kind it is. The seeds can impart unwanted flavors. And with rhubarb, I just chop up the fruit and add straight sugar over it and this lets the rhubarb "bleed" out its juices. Use a muslin bag or cheesecloth or panthose or something similar to contain all the fruit bits in.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Darrington, WA
Latest batches. 5 gallon Blackberry wine, 5 gallon strawberry-rhubarb melomel, 1 gallon red huckleberry wine, and 1 gallon apple cider. All the fruit is fruit I picked on my property or locally nearby. I loooove the color of the huckleberry wine - looks like fucking koolaid!
wines-fall-2019-jpg.53255_Home made Hooch_The Hobo Kitchen_Squat the Planet_5:53 PM

huckleberry-wine-jpg.53257_Home made Hooch_The Hobo Kitchen_Squat the Planet_5:53 PM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
The Dumpster giveth...! Good skipping today, with some line struggle, though, over the freegan vs. "meegan" positions...
van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?
I'm leaving MN in Spring!
Does anyone here have experience with shops yard in L.A., i could use a little advice.
Hey all, been a while, a lot has happened! A little update, my bf got charged with domestic & my shoulder is sprained: things are in the works right now and my plan is to get an RV & GTF outta here!

Members online