Hobo Stove out of Garbage (easy!!) | Squat the Planet

Hobo Stove out of Garbage (easy!!)

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
I've been getting sick of eating cold food via food stamps on the road so I found a couple designs and made what I think is a pretty good hobo stove.

It's basically design and the typical twigs-in-a-can design combined.

Materials needed:
-big can (i used a coffee can)
-little can (i used a beer can, but had to cut it down)
-one of these (if possible)
-corrugated cardboard
-candles, candle stubs, or paraffin wax
-a heat source like a fire or, if available, a real house stove

1) Check your cans. The best fit is a typical veggie can inside a coffee can. I used a beer can and needed to cut it down a bit. Basically, your small can needs to be at least an inch shorter than your big can and at least a finger-width away from the walls of the big can, when sleeved.

2) Big can. Remove one end of the can with a can-opener if it's not already gone. Use a bottle/can tool or whatever you have to ventalate the can. I put 8 holes in the top and 8 holes in the bottom. This can serves to hold your fuel and cooking pot and re-focus air flow and heat. This on it's own can be fueled with small sticks, etc., but you'd rather build a:

3) "Fuel Can". Cut a strip or two of corrugated cardboard the same width as your small can is tall. Coil up the strips and put them in the small can. Next you can stuff chunks of wax into the can while you heat it up, but I would suggest removing the top from another can filling it with your wax, melting it in there, and pourng it into your cardboard-can. After it solidifies, you will basically have a candle with a really wide wick.

4) Use it. If you have a cooking pot, place the big can closed-side-down. Sleeve in the feul can and light it. Place your pot on top and you should be able to boil enough water to make ramen in a matter of minutes. Alternatively, place the closed side up and throw your bean can on it.

Doubles for light and heat.

IMG_4144.jpg

Big can.

IMG_4145-1.jpg

Fuel can.

IMG_4148.jpg

Together.

IMG_4150.jpg

and lit!

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yeah it is pretty common there's already tons of threads on the exat same thing. next time try searching before posting... :D

Unslap

Reaction score
Yea, i've seen similar designs but nothing exactly like this. Wayta come up with it on your own though

flashinglights

Reaction score
Good pictures!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads