Hobo incognito

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
So I find it strange that when I'm in a place and have a job I have to disguise the fact that I hitch hike hop trains etc. I get the feeling that everyone just looks at me like I'm some kind of schlep working some kind of job nobody going nowhere type of person. Like why aren't you going to school and get a car blah blah.

Its becoming harder for me because everyone around me is doing this stuff and I think its a joke. I pretty much look at them the same way they look at me. Its getting to the point where I'm beginning to feel alone. Everyone around me is enraptured in a full schedule lifestyle just so that when they're old they can live comfortably. It seems so silly.

Well fuck all that I'm not going to live like a caged beast.

When I'm talking to other people I keep my secrets to myself leaving a breadcrumb trail of hints hoping maybe someone will pick up on it. When I do I find myself surprised to find that the people around me like my ideas and find that I'm more than meets the eye but don't put the pieces together.
Its hard because I have no one to connect to culturally.

Its also strange because I'm discovering more and more that society consists of people that are hiding who they really are just so they can fit better into the mold.

Thoughts anyone?

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
I personally could give a damn. Everyone around me knows I have traveled and ridden trains, squatted, eat trash, etc.

Why should you hide who you are?
Maybe its just instinctual. I think that if the people around me found out they might think different of me and treat me differently. Externally I fit in. Internally I don't. I guess it would be a sacrifice for one or the other. If I fit in externally I'm more fitting the bill for what other people want around them.
I guess I'm just sort of looking for a balance.

I find myself getting acceptance from people I normally wouldn't get it from which is an interesting change in my life. I'm not really lying about who I am just not disclosing it.

On another note I'm currently living in ca. Which for a so called liberal place is very un-accepting of other people or so it seems to me.

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
Oh wait, you're in Cali! That's the problem right there. That is the most unnaccepting place there is. The general populace hates bums and tramps, etc.

Anywhere not the west coast hobos are respected. I'm in Pittsburgh, came here by train to work this job and all my co-workers know it and think it's awesome. I'm even still wearing the same clothes.

Personally, if I can't be my self at a job...it's not worth my time.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Believe me I probably wouldn't be here if it wasn't for some family issues I had to deal with. And since I'm here I thought I might as well get some work for a little while. There are some things I like about the west coast but the general populace isn't particularly my favorite aspect.

JanuaryBell

Reaction score
"Its becoming harder for me because everyone around me is doing this stuff and I think its a joke."

It's because it is a joke. I'm in the same boat, except I let a few people know that I was straight up camping out. I get my fair share of strange looks when I let in on the fact that I'm a nomad.

One coworker showed everyone her new car. Brand new. She wouldn't shut up about it for days. To get her to finally shut up about it, I asked her if she paid in full up front. Nope. Her and her boyfriend took out a loan. Ouch. No thank you.

Reactions: milkhauler and Odin

Sip

Reaction score
Meh. I am with @Leadbellytherxrcur on this one man. You just have to (to quote a movie) let your freak flag fly. The entire time I was a burger slave at McDs, I straight up told everyone I was camping out. That I liked it. And that I thought most shit was in fact shit. Did I get sneered at sometimes? Did a few people make jokes at my expense? Yeah. But I made some bomb ass friends and got my boss to cut me some slack on some things he never would have done if he thought I was fully housed up. As a queer, I learned early on you just have to put it all out there, ignore the assholes, beat the shit out of those who want to throw down, and love everybody else.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Yea I've been thinking about going to NOLA for the winter season. Work here is about to slow down after labor day. Or so they say.

Kinda beginning to figure out everyone is kinda weird too.
Guess I've just been at the traveler thing for so long that I feel uptight when working because I'm trying to be "normal".

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads