My Gear List | Squat the Planet

My Gear List

myNameIsBaji

Reaction score
So if anyone read my introduction thread, I did say I was leaving today (Friday). Didn't quite work out that way as I was waiting until payday to buy the rest of my gear and didn't have enough money (Whole check didn't clear). Now I've gotta wait a little longer. Anyway, here is a list of what I have so far:

Backpack: SOG 39.1L

1 Foam Bed Mat
1 9x12 Tarp
1 5x7 Tarp
5 Tie Down Stakes
4 20oz Plastic Bottles
1 Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter Plus (Not Pictured)
1 Stainless Steel Canteen
2 Cans Tuna
2 6pc Emergency Food Ration Bars
1 Assorted First Aid Kit (Not Pictured)
1 Magnetic Hangable Light
1 Backup Battery/Flashlight
1 6000 mAh Backup Battery
1 Headlamp
1 Knife Sharpener
1 Fixed Blade Knife w/ Fire-starter
1 Pocket Knife
1 Hammer Multitool
1 Flatware Multitool
1 Plier Multitool
1 Windproof Zippo
1 Sewing Kit
1 130 Foot 550 Cord
1 1.5L Watertight Box
3 Cans Bug Spray 40% Deet
1 8-pin Charger
1 Micro-USB Charger
2 USB Power Brick
1 Hoodie
4 Pairs Socks
3 Pairs Boxer Briefs
1 Pair Shorts
2 Tee Shirts
1 Toothbrush
1 Stick of Deodorant
2 120ml Bottle of E-Cig Liquid
1 30ml Bottle of E-Cig Liquid

image.jpg
Any and all advice is welcome!

Reactions: Mankini
D

Deleted member 125

you dont need the hangable lamp, so lose that which hopefully will negate the need for the batteries and charger for it? you dont want to carry 4 20oz water bottles. get a 32 oz nalgene or a hawaian punch/sweet tea container for water. those plastic handles rule. you dont ened 2 pairs of boxers, 2 is just fine. wheres yer sleeping bag? the 1 9x12 tarp outta be enough, you dont ened 2, 3 cans of bug spray? shit are you planning on living in the florida everglades for a year? lose it. i dont know what all of those batteries are for but they sound heavy and like they would be easy to break.

K

Kim Chee

That is a nice spread of sparkly gear.

If you discover you have more room (due to omitting things), I'd recommend taking more clothes.

Last edited:

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
pack a shit load of socks, stuff the fuckers in every spare inch of space you have because foot rot is the worst.

What are all the charger things for? and 3 types of multi tool and two types of knife seems a lot.

i'd also pack a waterproof/warm jacket, although I don't know where you're headed and for how long, maybe the weather where you are is really warm/dry.

Reactions: Anagor and Durp

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
:D I've done some trips on the bike and over packed my panniers and tossed stuff, but Im glad you posted this so you get some seasoned regs on here that can guide you. :) Dont want to see a broken down kid with a ton of weight on him - how heavy is the pack now that you may have trimmed down?

Reactions: buffalobill

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
and yes just to reiterate what a few others have said, you can replace stuff, you'll find things on the way and be given stuff. but you can't buy a new back. Once thats screwed up its that way for life, so don't carry to much. ;)

Reactions: Mankini

myNameIsBaji

Reaction score
:D I've done some trips on the bike and over packed my panniers and tossed stuff, but Im glad you posted this so you get some seasoned regs on here that can guide you. :) Dont want to see a broken down kid with a ton of weight on him - how heavy is the pack now that you may have trimmed down?

I'm glad I did too. I thought everything I had was essential. Showed how green I was there lol.

Things I got rid of:

2 Cans of bug spray
2 6pc Emergency Rations
2 120ml Bottles of Ecig Liquid
4 20oz Plastic Bottles
1 Hangable Light

Things I didn't get rid of and why:

Backup Batteries - They are for recharging my phone. The weight is negligible. The main one is barely the size of a small potato and the other is basically a high capacity LED flashlight.

Foam Mat - Looks big in the pic, but it's actually really light.

The multitools overlap quite a few times. Thinking about it now, I could probably get rid of the hammer Multitool. Only feature it has that was worth keep was the hammer for driving stakes. I could use a branch and save weight.

Reactions: Sunshine and Tude

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
tuna.jpg
i would get the tuna that comes in the plastic pouch things, not canned tuna. canned stuff adds unnecessary weight...however small, it still adds up. but some small food stuff is always good to have for a backup. protein bars don't weigh much.
Also - a tip: I would pack everything you are taking and then walk around town with your backpack for 2 or 3 days to get a feel for it. After you walk 10 or so miles the first day, you may decide you don't want to carry as much weight.

Last edited:

Durp

Reaction score
I like to hang out in the woods so I bring a bit of extra weight in beans or what not just in case some small woodland creature chooses not to kill themselves as an offering to my apex preditor status.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads