hitching through texas | Squat the Planet

hitching through texas

Lost

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
im in Austin right now trying to figure out whether or not to hitch to houston and hop to nola or hitch the whole way to nola from austin,anyone do anything similar to this or ever hitch in texas,i kinda wanna know what im up agianst here,i aquired a dog now so its just me him and my rat.Any tips?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
honestly, ive never heard a single good thing about hitching in texas. ive always heard it's a sore-thumb state. ive never done it though. wish i could give you some info on hopping to nola, but i don't have it accessible right now.

if anyone helps out with this, please remember that posting hop out spot specifics is against the rules of the board. general info is cool, but if you wanna post specifics about where to hop, please send a message to the person requesting it with the "PM" icon below their name/image.

D

dirty_feet

Everything I've heard about Texas is that it sucks - Train and Thumb. I'm sorry dude - yeah I wouldn't do it again but at least you got out of there. Ew.

kevin!!!!

Reaction score
it's really not that bad, i've had to do it several times. but hopping trains in texas does suck a lot of times cos the traffic on most lines are backed up a lot. i even talked to a conductor and he was complaining about how he'd have to wait for hours and hours.

i heard there's actually a bus that's really cheap from austin->houston. i forget the name of the company tho. if i find out what it is i'll let you know. everyone talks negative shit about texas.
there's some good things about it just like anywhere else. they got veg heaven! :)

make it happen when yer there instead of just saying how it sucks, so whatever.
fuckin' try and change things around you instead of spending all your money and drinking
under bridges being a scumbag. punks don't always have to hang out with punks, shit.

oh yeah and hitchin' to the areas that you want to go to aren't very hard.
plus you have a dog which will help you out. i'd try and hop out of houston to
nola when you get there. i hitched it from houston-nola after katrina and it was easy
and that's when i didn't have a dog.theres some cool kids in houston as well.

good luck to anyone that might be doing this.

Post edited by: kevin!!!, at: 2007/08/31 04:28

Post edited by: kevin!!!, at: 2007/08/31 04:33

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Gosh ArrowInOre! I graduated high school in Port Arthur! Vidor was a town all its own eh?! lol!
ArrowInOre said:
I bet, if your avatar is really you, then of course everyone is nice, lol....(them thar hicks LUVVVV them a young purty girl, lol) I had added a post in here a while back and then remembered that Orange Texas was a freaky ass town to us. The sheriff insisted that he drive us to the best camp spots and even gave us money for food, then scared the shit out of us telling about a torso they found up the road a bit...I lovingly call Orange, Stephen King Fun LAnd...

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
My only experience with texas involved having a shotgun shoved in my face by a drunk redneck who demanded that I declare my love for jesus or go to hell (it was good friday, which I guess is kinda a big deal down there). I've only heard one person say good things about texas and he made it across in two rides, both buses full of christians.

uppercunt

Reaction score
My only experience with texas involved having a shotgun shoved in my face by a drunk redneck who demanded that I declare my love for jesus or go to hell (it was good friday, which I guess is kinda a big deal down there). I've only heard one person say good things about texas and he made it across in two rides, both buses full of christians.

I actually think a guy sticking a shotgun in your face for jesus effin hilarious. you don't think ppl in tx know what you think of them and play on that? NO, good friday isn't a big deal it tx. No texas ain't a cakewalk; unlike the NW you've got to earn your miles.

S

soodoenim

I've hitched through Texas twice, and I would say that the main difference for me, was that the cops hassled me less there than in other states. I did walk a lot, but I don't know that I walked more there than in any other state I've been to.
Peace and Love,
Dan

Radar Lockey

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
After a few weeks in Texas I started referring to Texas as the state Traveling kids go to die.

Lol. You can get pretty much anything in Texas. Except a ride. I mean, yeah there are some really awesome people there and such. But pretty much hitching is a bitch.

I as well got mad kickdowns.... I was at a truck stop on I-20 and Highway 69 in Lindale for about a week or so. Good people.

derailed

Reaction score
except for laredo and some of the smaller border towns, I've never had major problems in texas. never really needed to hitch there cause you can ride freight everywhere, easily. like somebody earlier said, you have to earn your miles in texas and i like that, it's not like the northwest full of 90 milers. (except for austin, the pdx of the south).

menu

Reaction score
I agree with derailed. no need for a hitch. unless you get way off track I suppose

sweet potatoe

Reaction score
im also in austin right now, during this sxsw thing, if your here too, during this time, iwould definetly check rideshares on craigslist since theres so many p[eople, im headed th same way, and im pretty sure its not too hard to hop out of here, ican show you were if i run into you on 6th street. but yeah, if not, i hitched from dallas down here and it actually went really well. i dont usually like hitching at all, but people are pretty hopsitable with it round here, good luck, if you find me on 6th street, the names colin, and ill probably have a big brindle german shpherd/ pit with me

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads