Hi everyone! | Squat the Planet

Hi everyone!

Sunshine

Reaction score
Just making a quick intro thread... :)

I am 53 and looking for a hitching partner so I thought I would join here and hang out for awhile.

I'm working your "normal" 8-5 corporate job and plan to embark on my adventure in 2016 sometime. I'll be taking 2 weeks off of work to do it. I'm not quite ready for the hobo lifestyle full-time but it sounds very intriguing!

I LOVE traveling and adventure. I took my first adventure at 18 with a backpack and just hiked around my city with it, trying to camp on the beach but gettin kicked off lol. Ive backpacked around the UK and Germany a little bit. Made lots of mistakes on my first backpacking trip to the UK so it was a great learning experience.

Right now I have a Kelty Redwing 40... I have most of what I need but plan on tweaking it a bit. Not really wanting to go over 40 liters, but I'm a little bit concerned about the quality of Kelty packs. Even with the warranty I dont want to have to switch out packs mid-trip. Was thinking about a 5.11 Rush 72 but the pack itself is almost 5 pounds. I feel pretty sure I wont have a strap rip if I have that pack though! I'm rambling..... :)

Anyway, I'm also a struggling minimalist. I've gotten my material possessions down a LOT . Ive gotten rid of most of my furniture, including my bed. Ive been sleeping on the floor for the last 10 years or so. I honestly dont miss my bed. Still struggle a bit with spending/materialism even though I feel FAR MORE free with less stuff.

I guess thats it for now. Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

S

soodoenim

I wouldn't fret too much over the quality of a backpack for a two week trip (though that's my personal opinion). I would just be sure to take care of your feet along the way, especially if they aren't hardened to long hikes yet (they call it hitchhiking, but I t can just as easily be hike-hitching, if you gather my meaning). Good socks and boots are key. Oh, and don't forget your sharpie marker. I'm partial to the fat chisel-tip variety for making signs.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well hello there. I am a homebound corporate icky worker with 3 cats who couch surfs lots of people through here but I do get out and travel - and love urban exploration - in fact I do a lot of research into where I'm going to find abandoned fun things (or as they say haunted stuff).

Where are you planning on traveling to? I love planning. :)

Reactions: Kal

Sunshine

Reaction score
Oh yeah I definitely know about the sock thing from personal experience: large backpack and blisters. Thats gleaned from my UK backpacking trip which was fun but challenging. :p

Wide sharpie marker: check! lol ... I have been in the planning stages for too long... watching too many you tube videos

I plan to hike/hitch across the US ... I have no idea what route though. The route is very preliminary as I am looking for a hitching partner... I mean, ideally I will find someone here in CA up for the adventure but ya just never know.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

Reactions: Kal

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Welcome! Another, old timer (ha ha!) joining the family!

Like you, and Tude, I slaved in corporate America for 30 years.

I'm out of the rat race now and have never looked back.

I can't wait for the day that I can just pick up and go.

Best of luck and be safe!!

Nice to meet you!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads