Late start but better late than never

Jdp1987

Reaction score
I know theres several posts on here like this already but I dont want a whole bunch of info, seeming how some things are common sense. But heres my story. Ill keep it short and simple internet style.
> Be 27
> know its a late start but wanted tp travel freely since I was a kid
> no responsabilities but myself
> seem to be getting no where in my home state
> got some counseling and support (more to my surprise) from the few loved ones I have
> decided alright lets do this
> starting off solo or in a group
> want to wait a little less than a year
> save money, put up securly but where I can always get to it (account or some stuff)
> also into week two of surgery recovery (just a hernia (spelling?)
> min survival experiance however studying a bit on road and before I leave

I just wanted to know if theres any small advice you guys can give. Im willing to start this alone or in a group. Like if I have an opportunity to meet people and travel with what do I look for? Or anything simalar to that topic. Including ways to make money (ill hunt illegaly before I do any kindof prostitution). Finding food or freelance work.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Welcome!

Your intro title made me laugh. What I'd give to be 27 and starting "late,"

I'm 46 and just getting started, so you youngins really need to stop talking about how old you are and how late it is to start your journey. ;)

Glean every bit of awesome info this site offers.

It is a treasure trove of invaluable necessities for everything you need.

Take the time. It'll be worth every second of searching and reading.

Best of luck!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Welcome! Yer like an open canvas there - you can go anywhere - and you can find out a lot of info here on the site. Enjoy and be safe!

angerisagift

Reaction score
I know theres several posts on here like this already but I dont want a whole bunch of info, seeming how some things are common sense. But heres my story. Ill keep it short and simple internet style.
> Be 27
> know its a late start but wanted tp travel freely since I was a kid
> no responsabilities but myself
> seem to be getting no where in my home state
> got some counseling and support (more to my surprise) from the few loved ones I have
> decided alright lets do this
> starting off solo or in a group
> want to wait a little less than a year
> save money, put up securly but where I can always get to it (account or some stuff)
> also into week two of surgery recovery (just a hernia (spelling?)
> min survival experiance however studying a bit on road and before I leave

I just wanted to know if theres any small advice you guys can give. Im willing to start this alone or in a group. Like if I have an opportunity to meet people and travel with what do I look for? Or anything simalar to that topic. Including ways to make money (ill hunt illegaly before I do any kindof prostitution). Finding food or freelance work.
trust yr gut/instincts. find a good library(wifi/makingcopies/shelter 4 bad weather),find a Subway for dumpster diving (good bread,imo),do some research on area u r traveling to 4 soup kitchens,day labor,etc,etc, and travel lite every item u carry should serve a purpose,u should b carrying all needs and u wants. GL

angerisagift

Reaction score
trust yr gut/instincts. find a good library(wifi/makingcopies/shelter 4 bad weather),find a Subway for dumpster diving (good bread,imo),do some research on area u r traveling to 4 soup kitchens,day labor,etc,etc, and travel lite every item u carry should serve a purpose,u should b carrying all needs and u wants. GL
OOOOOOOOPS no wants [HASHTAG]#fuckingtypos[/HASHTAG]

• Haha
Reactions: Kal

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
A: Go somewhere comfy. And by comfy I mean in every way. High paying casual labor; friendly people; natural beauty; good weather; top-quality amenities. Go somewhere poopy and you'll kick yourself. I like San Fran/Marin County/Sonoma County in CA; the ski towns of Colorado; and coastal Oregon.

B: It aint hard. The learning curve is gentle as long as you follow Precept 'A' above.

C: Have fun!! Life is supposed to be a blast; not a chore.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads