hitching by cop

jade

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
When I was hitching through Minnesota trying to get from Minneapolis to St.Cloud via I94, some douche picked us up and dropped us off the highway ten, which is a local highway cover towns with a population of about 200 or less. It was the same in every town, dirty look, "get a job, take a cab" in one town the cops came because someone reported us, suspecting us to be runnaways, which is really funny because i'm 20, and my bf is 22, the cops gave us a ride to the next town, and for the next three towns until St.Cloud, I just went up to the cops, told them I was roadtripping with friends, but they stranded my bf and I, and took our money, and the cops gave us a ride to the next town. This work for 4 consecutive towns. So when the train doesn't stop where you need it, this method comes in pretty handy.

Reactions: Tall Sam Jones

BrokeWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've done this across town before. From near the court-house headed home. Told a cop I got subpoenaed by the D.A. as a witness in an assault case (was true), but I was broke and couldn't get a ride home. Guy didn't ask anymore questions and said he would find me a ride. Got a ride in a new Charger cop car. I will tell you those things got more leg room in back then the old Caprice one I rode in on the way to jail last time.

Reaction score
I've never asked a cop for a ride, but I have been given rides from cops when caught on the highway walking. Of course I try to not walk the highway, but sometimes it's necessary. My rule of thumb is to be upbeat and polite to any cop who stops me on the road. That depends on why they stopped me, of course!

marc

Reaction score
cops never want to give me a ride, when they give me shit for walkin the interstate i ask for a ride to the next exit and they usually laugh at me and tell me to get walking and get off on the next exit or im goin to jail

distro

Reaction score
my girlfriend a friend and i got a ride outside of steamboat springs Colorado. someone reported me laying in the middle of the street or some shit. it was funny though cause we all had like 10 inch buck knives on us.

M

Monkeywrench

It really depends on where I am, and my current state of "crust". In PA, several state troopers and even a Sheriff's deputy or whatever gave me and road dog nice long rides--either to the next exit, on-ramp, or town at the edge of their jurisdiction.

In Delaware, one particularly militant asshole saw me on an interstate, knew that either side of the road had uncrossable water and told me he was turning around and if he saw me, I'd go to jail for tresspassing. Right as he was about to get me, someone pulled over and gave me a 2 mile ride to the next exit.

Fuck Delaware.
..and ask for flares. Some cops love giving them out. :)

Meske

Reaction score
Once I was driving in High Springs, FL and got pulled over for passing in a no passing zone (sneaky no light cop car right behind me). I had a little too much to drink based on the cops follow the finger with the flashlight in your eyes test. Fortunately he didn't give me a dui, but he actually gave me a ride a few miles down the road to where I needed to go...talk about being lucky. He told me he was running for sheriff when he dropped me off. I hope he got elected... Best cop ever.

headwound

Reaction score
There's been plenty of times where the only rides I'll get all day are from cops taking me to the next town over or just out of their jurisdiction. Most the time they'll just run your names, ask for any weapons, then shoot the shit with you while on your way. When we were hitching into New Orleans just a few weeks ago a cop picked me and my two friends up, dropped us off somewhere, came back and gave us a ride to the NOLA Airport, then gave us a 20 to take the bus into town. We couldn't stop laughing.

panik

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I've gotten a few rides with cops...once when I was still ike 18, outta philly and he gave me 20 bucks. This other time me and bryanpaul were...somewhere? somewhere it's illegal to hitchhike and actually enforced. he picked our stinky asses up and our dog and our bag of beer and we fricken SPILLED beer in his car. well it busted. we were apologetic and he's just like "It's fine, I've had a lot worse messes made in here."
Just recently we got pulled off our train (SOMEHOW they saw us...) in greensborro on the way to lynchburg and the cops were really awesome. They drove us out of town and it was raining bad. The one cop said if we waited for him to get off work at like 10 pm he and his wife would come drive us like 2 hours up to lynchburg. we just got out in some town on the virginia border because it was really awkward. but stilll!

Oh yeah when I first started traveling me and these two other kids got a ride from baltimore to philly after rolling into an IM terminal thing and very non-sneakily/very frantically trying to get out unnoticed. Gave us money and food and stuff too.
I've actually gotten a few other rides when I was alone by cops, but they were less eventful, "out of my jurisdiction" type things.

Stope

Reaction score
Riding with a cop to get somewhere (besides jail) never crossed my mind. None of the cops I've been around have ever seemed even remotely interested in the idea.

Chewbacka

Reaction score
I've only gotten a ride from a cop once. It was leaving some party in a fucked up town. Drunk and stoned like a motherfucker, he stopped us hitch hiking up the mountain. Gave all four of us a ride towards where we were going. Didn't want him to drop us off to close because we didn't want him knowing where we were really going. Other then that, I try and avoid cops as much as I can. You never know when it's that douche bag of a cop trying his best to fuck over a street kid. I'd rather walk miles and miles then take a chance of running into that asshole cop.

ThrashAndBurn

Reaction score
There's been plenty of times where the only rides I'll get all day are from cops taking me to the next town over or just out of their jurisdiction. Most the time they'll just run your names, ask for any weapons, then shoot the shit with you while on your way. When we were hitching into New Orleans just a few weeks ago a cop picked me and my two friends up, dropped us off somewhere, came back and gave us a ride to the NOLA Airport, then gave us a 20 to take the bus into town. We couldn't stop laughing.

you meet a kid name Shark Boy in Nola?

Reaction score
Cops pretty much not my favorite run in ; however on the road none of them have hassled me too bad.
The casual what are you doing and don't you know -> i am walking and yea of course i know ....but tell me anyway
The looks some cops have on their faces when yew try and explain you're on a public road vary
hmm
as do all people
Got a ticket for walking the parkway north to get to a job the next morning. Pleaded guilty as i wouldn't be in the area again soon and got a letter in the mail the other day saying they dropped the charge/
Pretty sweet deal , so thanks copper man

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've gotten only rides and never trouble from the Ontario Provincial Police. In Northeast US, I've got only trouble and zero rides from the police.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
I've got lots of cop rides out of jurisdiction or to the next exit. This one time though I got stuck at an exit on the NY thru-way with a police station like 10 feet past the toll booth. By the third day I got pissed and pushed though some woods and hopped a tall fence. Then I walked 3 miles down the highway before i started hitching just to get away from the area. 10 min. into hitching a cop picked me up. I figured they would drive me to the next town which would be great, but they actually turned around and dropped me off in the same goddamn town.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads